Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Claudio.Sjo - 2013-08-06

(2013-08-05, 10:00)gradinaruvasile Wrote: Well i for one tested it and it was a disaster, at least on kernel 3.10 64-bit. I have an A8-5500 APU.
This driver caused some sort of memory leak (memory is locked by the driver or something, not xbmc), both with certain games (TF2) and hardware decoding with xbmc, resulting in constant swapping and then lockup. Even if i kill xbmc, the memory isnt recovered until reboot. Also i have kernel oopses after killing it.
13.6 for example works just fine for me. But, as with everything Linux-related, YMMV.

I really don't understand how AMD cannot provide a "perfect" support for Fusion.
Fusion is the only case in the PC history where they know exactly how the CPU works together with GPU, as it's their own design.
Back with 13.6, I've probably found some nasty bug, as I'm collecting a series of xbmc crashreports that didn't happen with 12.10,
furthermore yesterday I was trying to play Riven under Wine, and it hangs randomly.
I'm seriously thinking to revert to 12.10

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-08-07

As I am currently on holidays - I did the following (too much time and the work fernetmenta gave me is a bit hard at 30 degrees :p):

Don't tell the following things to anyone:

I installed the 13.8-beta1 fglrx driver and saved: libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 and libAMDXvBA.cap from /usr/lib/fglrx to a 64 bit directory and the same two files from /usr/lib32/fglrx to a 32 bit directory.
I then whiped the 13.8 installation and installed the 13.6 version (the one that needs VSYNC = Always enabled to have smooth menus) and has the CABAC=NO problem. I then replaced the mentioned files in /usr/lib/fglrx and /usr/lib32/fglrx and guess what: CABAC=NO files are working again.

So - at least we can "copy" a working catalyst together ...

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Robotica - 2013-08-07

(2013-08-07, 14:17)fritsch Wrote: As I am currently on holidays - I did the following (too much time and the work fernetmenta gave me is a bit hard at 30 degrees :p):

I installed the 13.8-beta1 fglrx driver and saved: libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 and libAMDXvBA.cap from /usr/lib/fglrx to a 64 bit directory and the same two files from /usr/lib32/fglrx to a 32 bit directory.
I then whiped the 13.8 installation and installed the 13.6 version (the one that needs VSYNC = Always enabled to have smooth menus) and has the CABAC=NO problem. I then replaced the mentioned files in /usr/lib/fglrx and /usr/lib32/fglrx and guess what: CABAC=NO files are working again.

Nais solution and what a fuckups over at AMD.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Claudio.Sjo - 2013-08-08

(2013-08-07, 14:17)fritsch Wrote: As I am currently on holidays - I did the following (too much time and the work fernetmenta gave me is a bit hard at 30 degrees :p):

Maybe someone can upload those 2 files somewhere, so that I can try the same without the need for upgrading and downgrading...

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Orcie - 2013-08-08

+1 for Claudio.Sjos Idea

Then AMD can use the same files for their next beta driver! Smile

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - nickr - 2013-08-08

You clearly need to check the copyright for those files! You can't just distribute them.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-08-08

Guys - don't be lazy, just extract the 13.8 driver and get out the files.
Code:
mkdir -p ~/tmp
sh ./amd-catalyst-13.8-beta1-linux-x86.x86_64.run --extract ~/tmp

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Claudio.Sjo - 2013-08-08

(2013-08-08, 10:00)fritsch Wrote: Guys - don't be lazy, just extract the 13.8 driver and get out the files.
Code:
mkdir -p ~/tmp
sh ./amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-8-beta1-x86.x86_64.run --extract ~/tmp

Thanks, this also fixes any copyright problem.
I'll try this on Fusion and iMac and let you know.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-08-08

I edited above, it was: amd-catalyst-13.8-beta1-linux-x86.x86_64.run instead of amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-8-beta1-x86.x86_64.run

Mixed Catalyst tested both on iMac with i5 and Radeon 6600M and on HTPC with A10-5600
Both are working.

Sad isn't it?

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - disp - 2013-08-08

It seems like my board (E45M1-I Deluxe, AMD E450 series) has a general problem with the propriety drivers.
I'm using the PPA:xorg-edgers video drivers right now.

Sorry if this question seems ignorant, but does this package give better performance when using the opensource drivers, too?

No.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - disp - 2013-08-08

But it doesn't hurt either right? So if I'm trying a future fglrx driver I can easily switch and use the package for both.

Clarify what "package" you mean.