Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - Rachel - 2012-07-09

(2012-07-09, 08:16)FernetMenta Wrote: Rachel, please report this issue here: https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/issues?direction=desc&page=1&sort=updated&state=open
Although its the same build we don't want to hijack the ati thread. Please post full debug logs, preferable posted on xbmclogs.com

https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/issues/52 Smile

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - fritsch - 2012-07-11

There were big changes after the last rebase. wsnipex already built new packages for xbmc-xvba-testing. Please stick to xbmc-xvba in order to avoid sever breakage :p

In order to do so:
Code:
# delete sources list entries
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wsnipex*
# if you already upgraded to this non working version
# remove xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get remove xbmc xbmc-bin
# add the tested ppa source
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
# refetch sources.list changes
sudo apt-get update
# install xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

As a sidenote: wsnipex-xvba-testing is meant for testing and will break again.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - Zeropage - 2012-07-11

I'm trying to install XBMC on a Zotac AD04 with Linux Mint 10 (Ubunutu Maverick) and I'm running into the following problem

I followed many step-by-step guides and installed all the prerequisites mentioned but simply just get errors when trying to make the .deb pakage of the amd 12.6 drivers:

$ sudo sh amd-driver-installer-12-6-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/maverick
objdump: debian/fglrx/usr/lib/pxpress/ld.so.conf: File format not recognized
objdump: debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf: File format not recognized
... many more errors and warnings ...
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2

but I can install the drivers when running the downloaded amd driver package directly.
$ sudo sh amd-driver-installer-12-6-x86.x86_64.run

So FGLRX is up and running:

$ fglrxinfo
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics
OpenGL version string: 4.2.11733 Compatibility Profile Context

aticonfig is also working

now, when i try to install xbmc:
$ sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

I get a dependency error:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xbmc : Depends: fglrx (>= 2:8.911) but it is not going to be installed or
fglrx-updates (>= 2:8.911) but it is not installable

since the driver is installed and running, is it possible to get rid of the driver dependecy? I think that would be probably simpler than to make a .deb package from the ati 12.6 drivers...

unfortunately
$ sudo apt-get --ignore-missing install xbmc xbmc-bin
doesn't work

any help would be appreciated! I think I'm very close to get XBMC with HW acceleration running...

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - Zeropage - 2012-07-11

I've found a solution for my problem described above: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1397423#3

after deleting the folder content (2 Files) of /usr/share/ati/lib64, the amd driver 12.6 .deb packages could be generated!

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - fritsch - 2012-07-11

@Zeropage:
Gratulations and thanks for digging into it. Is there an obvious reason you are still running Maverick?

Hi Fritsch

Yes, there is a reason, but don't laugh: I'm using the Commodore OS Vision B9 Distro, which is based on Linux Mint 10... I think the Zotac is great for Amiga/C64 emulation and, of course, a Media Center Deluxe Smile

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - wsnipex - 2012-07-12

Please note that there are no new xbmc-xvba packages for maverick. I dropped support for it after Eden.

RE: - x0149128 - 2012-07-12

This doesn't work for me.

Installing the drivers via the command line isn't working out.

It goes ok until this point:

Code:
Unpacking fglrx-amdcccle (from .../fglrx-amdcccle_2%3a8.960-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
ureadahead will be reprofiled on next reboot
Setting up fglrx (2:8.960-0ubuntu1) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_GL.conf (i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode.
update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /etc/OpenCL/vendors/amdocl64.icd because associated file /usr/lib/fglrx/etc/OpenCL/vendors/amdocl64.icd (of link group i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist.
update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/lib32/libaticalcl.so because associated file /usr/lib32/fglrx/libaticalcl.so (of link group i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist.
update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/lib32/libaticalrt.so because associated file /usr/lib32/fglrx/libaticalrt.so (of link group i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist.
update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf because link group i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf is broken.
update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /etc/OpenCL/vendors/amdocl64.icd because associated file /usr/lib/fglrx/etc/OpenCL/vendors/amdocl64.icd (of link group i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist.
update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/lib32/libaticalcl.so because associated file /usr/lib32/fglrx/libaticalcl.so (of link group i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist.
update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/lib32/libaticalrt.so because associated file /usr/lib32/fglrx/libaticalrt.so (of link group i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist.
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/fglrx/alt_ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_GL.conf (x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode.
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Loading new fglrx-8.960 DKMS files...
First Installation: checking all kernels...
Building only for 3.2.0-26-generic
Building for architecture i386
Building initial module for 3.2.0-26-generic
Done.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - fritsch - 2012-07-12

This does not look that bad :-)

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - x0149128 - 2012-07-12

What's seems to be happening is that it's not adding a load of stuff that the ati driver probably needs.

When i finally reboot, i'm left with 2d only graphics (it automatically changed the session to basic gnome due to lack of a proper driver), and no ati control center.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - fritsch - 2012-07-13

@x0149128:
Could you joing #xbmc-xvba?

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - x0149128 - 2012-07-13

Hi fritsch, sorry I don't know what you mean. Joining #xbmc-xvba?

I have managed to get the ATI drivers installed, and I installed the xvba version of XBMC.

Here is what I get:

Is this now using hardware decoding?

The video seems to play just as it did before the ATI drviers were installed, with the exception that if I got from full screen to windowed then video freezes or stutters while sound continues.

EDIT:

Yep appears to be working. After a little while the CPU settles down to about 25%.

I installed the following for good measure:

Code:
sudo apt-get install xvba-va-driver libva-glx1 vainfo

Do I have to use this build of XBMC or can i use the default one in the repository? The reason I ask is that I've got no intention of running a PVR, and this version seems problematic when windowed, mouse is slow, menus are slow and jerky. It's fine full screen though.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - fritsch - 2012-07-13

@x0149128:
you don't need xvba-va-driver for xbmc usage, as we directly use XVBA, so there is no need for the vaapi to xvba wrapper.

Joining #xbmc-xvba means: go to http://webchat.freenode.net/ and join #xbmc-xvba channel <- we can talk about the rest here.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - x0149128 - 2012-07-13

Ok cool, just joined.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs - DavidGGG - 2012-07-13

Hi. Two things:

(2012-07-01, 11:17)wsnipex Wrote: fglrx only provides 2 audio channels :/

I thought the Audio Engine branch had finished their work a few days ago, so that HD audio should now work. Does this not apply when I use fglrx with Xvba? So I have to choose either HD video or HD audio but can't have both? Huh

The other thing: I investigated the long resume time on a fresh Ubuntu install (see post 774) by disabling/unloading LAN and Audio (was impossible to unload USB but I disabled it in BIOS), that didn't help. Only remaining driver to try to unload is radeon, I managed to replace it with vesa but then resume doesn't work at all. With my limited knowledge of Linux this indicates the issue is due to the graphics driver (what else?). And since fast resume time is a requirement for a good HTPC I thought this might be the proper place to mention this after all. I also started an Ubuntu thread but got nowhere there so far. And the issue is the same with an XBMC session. And resume time is even longer with XBMC-Xvba + fglrx + Linux Mint. Can anyone here with Fusion board confirm the long resume time?