Kodi Community Forum
Remote Controllers for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Remote Controllers for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=117372)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Remote Controllers for XBMC - Matt Devo - 2015-01-02

(2015-01-02, 10:11)ggp759 Wrote: Can i use the ps3 remote with an asus chromebox running openelec or do i need a dongle as well? If a dongle is not needed how do i pair the remote to chromebox? Thanks a lot guys!

yes, it works with the built-in BT receiver. pairs the same way it would with any other device. ChromeBox wiki has this covered

RE: Remote Controllers for XBMC - wrxtasy - 2015-01-02

Matt, does the PS3 remote go into standby properly or does it chew through batteries ?

RE: Remote Controllers for XBMC - ggp759 - 2015-01-02

The ps3 remote is found in settings but when i choose connect i get a bluetooth authentication error! Is there something that i need to press on the remote? There is nothing in the wiki except that it works with the bluetooth built-in receiver. Thanks

PS: Found it! Had to press start+enter on the remote and then choose "trust and connect" so it wouldnt ask for a pin code!

RE: Remote Controllers for XBMC - solamnic - 2015-01-02

(2015-01-02, 11:41)wrxtasy Wrote: Matt, does the PS3 remote go into standby properly or does it chew through batteries ?

would like to know that... since ps3 remote tends to extinguish batteries reallllllllllly fast ... Nod

RE: Remote Controllers for XBMC - buzzqw - 2015-01-02

Imho the best remote is a tablet with yatse!

full control over Kodi and with WOL able to resume / start the htpc

BHH

RE: Remote Controllers for XBMC - solamnic - 2015-01-02

(2015-01-02, 15:55)buzzqw Wrote: Imho the best remote is a tablet with yatse!

full control over Kodi and with WOL able to resume / start the htpc

BHH

there is no comparisson between a good multi remote and a tablet remote.... (and I havent add the wife factor.. ) Big Grin

RE: Remote Controllers for XBMC - Stereodude - 2015-01-03

(2015-01-02, 22:51)solamnic Wrote: there is no comparisson between a good multi remote and a tablet remote.... (and I havent add the wife factor.. ) Big Grin
That's true, Yatse runs circles around a remote like a Harmony for control of XBMC/Kodi, especially for music playback. Yatse lets you browse your music library by artist, genre, album on the tablet. It shows you what's in your playlist and what's playing right now. A universal remote like a Harmony can't do any of that.

RE: Remote Controllers for XBMC - Matt Devo - 2015-01-03

(2015-01-02, 11:41)wrxtasy Wrote: Matt, does the PS3 remote go into standby properly or does it chew through batteries ?

you have to enable standby after pairing

RE: Remote Controllers for XBMC - solamnic - 2015-01-03

(2015-01-03, 00:04)Stereodude Wrote:
(2015-01-02, 22:51)solamnic Wrote: there is no comparisson between a good multi remote and a tablet remote.... (and I havent add the wife factor.. ) Big Grin
That's true, Yatse runs circles around a remote like a Harmony for control of XBMC/Kodi, especially for music playback. Yatse lets you browse your music library by artist, genre, album on the tablet. It shows you what's in your playlist and what's playing right now. A universal remote like a Harmony can't do any of that.

with a physical remote one can change channels / volume, pressing pause/play without even looking at the remote... - having under a pillow and never care about it...

maybe younger users prefer tablets...

i still prefer a physical remote.... Nod

RE: Remote Controllers for XBMC - wrxtasy - 2015-01-03

Lets see, chewing through a Phone or Tablet's battery for just basic control of XBMC / Kodi and thereby reducing its battery charge capacity and life vs cheap batteries to replace in a low power bluetooth remote.

I know which I prefer.

RE: Remote Controllers for XBMC - Stereodude - 2015-01-03

I have both. I have a Harmony and I use Yatse. I only use OpenELEC for music playback and it runs on a 7" display on my component stack. So my use case is probably very different from most. For basic things like pause, stop, skipping tracks, and volume the Harmony is great. However, for control of the playlist, like adding songs and albums or searching the music library, the Harmony is basically a non-starter whereas Yatse is awesome at this.

RE: Remote Controllers for XBMC - wrxtasy - 2015-01-03

Yeah agreed same here, the XBMC app offers similar functionality.
I just wish I could get Yatse on iOS, hearing nothing but great reviews about it Smile

RE: Remote Controllers for XBMC - solamnic - 2015-01-03

in IOS try XBMC Commander...

RE: Remote Controllers for XBMC - Suljo - 2015-08-25

I'm cross posting here from the NUC thread, have everything set up so I urgently need a remote as I'm forced to still use Plex that woks with my TV remote. So I'm hoping for more exposure if I post to multiple threads.

Is the IR port on the NUC (5th gen) capable of controlling Kodi with a compatible remote? Asking because some remotes come with USB IR ports of their own. That said, does anyone know of any universal remotes that operate on IR and also has a qwerty keyboard (don't need bluetooth or RF - since all my gear uses IR and also the frequencies on RF and bluetooth interfere with WIFI signal and my router is right next to the NUC)? It needs to have enough standard buttons to work with my DVD player, TV and my Radio player. The Mele F looks good but lacks enough buttons on the front to make it viable for uses other than Kodi. Something like a Harmony remote but with a keyboard.

I've looked at these:

-Mele F (small number of standard keys)
-the little black box V2 (uses RF)
-Flirc (could only control the TV and Kodi, not radio and DVD player, but with my Samsung remote for both. It would also lack a keyboard)
-Harmony remote (could control everything, but no keyboard. also, slightly pricey)

Thanks for any input.

RE: Remote Controllers for XBMC - conductingCHAOS - 2015-08-25

Has anyone tried this unofficial / knock off Xbox One media remote? It looks perfect and the color scheme would go great with the NVidia Shield console.

It's IR. I haven't seen anything about it coming with a USB dongle for IR but I believe the Shield has an IR receiver built in?

I'm confident this could work with Kodi's keymapper utility but I'm not sure about the native Android TV software. Would I need a FLIRC?

I'm currently deployed overseas and haven't had the opportunity to play with any of my new toys. I've just been building my new entertainment setup and sending everything home.

I'm also hoping my Vizio M43-C1 remote will work through HDMI-CEC. It has a QWERTY keyboard on the backside and I'd really love to be able to control the TV, Shield console, and Vizio sound bar / subwoofer with one remote.

Pics of both remotes:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011TEA0VE