Kodi Community Forum
Android Yatse: Full featured Kodi Remote (Widgets, Streaming, Offline media, ...) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Android Yatse: Full featured Kodi Remote (Widgets, Streaming, Offline media, ...) (/showthread.php?tid=117885)

Re: RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Milhouse - 2014-02-16

(2014-02-15, 21:29)Tolriq Wrote: Lol no it's not the reason ...
This is because notifications are bugged and not reliable for efficient remoting.

What bug? I use notifications and haven't noticed it being "bugged", it works as expected. If you're aware of a bug wouldn't it make sense to work with XBMC developers to see that it is fixed rather than continue to use a less efficient workaround?

RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Tolriq - 2014-02-16

@Lunatixz : I do lot's of stress test on my Xbmc and have never had that Smile (You should be aware of the 4 threads limits).
I guess you are failing in the Keep Alives bugs, and should look at how to disable them in python (it was a need in Yatse).

@MilhouseVH : Please stop making people think that Yatse is bad and that what is used should not be used.
If you don't like how it works just do not use it.

The dev team is aware of lot's of the notifications problems and does not have time to correct them all. It's also aware of lot's of JSON problems and performance problems Wink
I did propose multiple times to help on some subject just read all my posts in JSON part Wink

Not looking too far away : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=186182 second post in the json thread for example, missing meta data, too much events when adding tons of file to playlists ....
The still need to query for initial state, that as I already explained but you refused to listen, would use more cpu and battery for the widget / notification usage.
And HTTP JSON offers 4 threads when TCP is limited to 1 Wink

So yes I do use simple JSON queries as XBMC does support and it's only way to achieve the stability and efficiency of Yatse so no I will not change to something that would be less efficient and more complicated for 0 benefits.

RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Lunatixz - 2014-02-16

@Tolriq,
I just gave you an example that you can test for yourself.... did you try?
I wasn't knocking your app overall it's useful, except for the json hammering!

I personally don't see any features worth having in Yatse that warrant the excessive use. I've been using for a few years now (as a donor btw) strictly as a remote, and to forward notifications.
Which all can be done without polling json every few minutes.

RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Tolriq - 2014-02-16

Well you tell me Python causes problems.
I tell you Yatse does not since I removed Keep Alive.

I do not know how python interface with Json but I don't see how demonstrating that python crash Xbmc would show that Http without keep alives does.

As I said if you know how, try to disable Keep alive in python and see if it corrects your problem.

Or report crashes to the team Wink

But to answer the message before edit, doing Yatse srress test in real word with tons of device on real Xbmc is the way to validate that all works and that I do not break users installations.

Btw it's 5 am here going to Ski so won't test Wink

And for your second edit : If you use only 1% of Yatse perhaps you don't understand why but Yatse is much more than a remote Wink

Re: RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Lunatixz - 2014-02-16

(2014-02-16, 06:43)Tolriq Wrote: Well you tell me Python causes problems.
I tell you Yatse does not since I removed Keep Alive.

I do not know how python interface with Json but I don't see how demonstrating that python crash Xbmc would show that Http without keep alives does.

As I said if you know how, try to disable Keep alive in python and see if it corrects your problem.

Or report crashes to the team Wink

But to answer the message before edit, doing Yatse srress test in real word with tons of device on real Xbmc is the way to validate that all works and that I do not break users installations.

Btw it's 5 am here going to Ski so won't test Wink

And for your second edit : If you use only 1% of Yatse perhaps you don't understand why but Yatse is much more than a remote Wink

Lol when did I say python causes problem? Json is universal!

Your interpretation of the problem I mentioned has me baffled. Some thing must be off in the translation?

No one said you break installations!

Yes, maybe I use 1% of your app. I've been using since this project was an xp app. This still doesn't excuse your apps polling habits.

Remember all I asked was if there could be a feature to disable it...

Overall this is a very fine app!

RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Milhouse - 2014-02-16

(2014-02-16, 06:02)Tolriq Wrote: @MilhouseVH : Please stop making people think that Yatse is bad and that what is used should not be used.

The dev team is aware of lot's of the notifications problems and does not have time to correct them all. It's also aware of lot's of JSON problems and performance problems Wink
I did propose multiple times to help on some subject just read all my posts in JSON part Wink

Touche, please stop making people think that XBMC is bad... Wink

(2014-02-16, 06:02)Tolriq Wrote: Not looking too far away : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=186182 second post in the json thread for example, missing meta data, too much events when adding tons of file to playlists ....
The still need to query for initial state, that as I already explained but you refused to listen, would use more cpu and battery for the widget / notification usage.
And HTTP JSON offers 4 threads when TCP is limited to 1 Wink

So yes I do use simple JSON queries as XBMC does support and it's only way to achieve the stability and efficiency of Yatse so no I will not change to something that would be less efficient and more complicated for 0 benefits.

For this simple (and in Yatse's case, extremely common) use-case of knowing the current volume and if there is an active player or not, it does not need to hammer the client with JSON requests every two seconds. You can receive notifications each time the volume is changed, or when someone starts or stops playing something. These volume/player notifications work, and would make the Yatse client far more efficient.

Justifying this current inefficient polling behaviour as though it is somehow better and saves CPU and battery power is frankly hard to believe/swallow, it's not at all a case of "refusing to listen". Now you're saying that unrelated notifications don't work as though that somehow matters and is yet another reason not to use notifications for volume and active player. It just seems you don't want to listen... Wink

@Lunatixz : JSON is universal but absolutely not the way to access it ...
And this is the service part that crashes on XBMC. Again I repeat on Windows what is known to causes problem is Keep Alive on HTTP.

So there's nothing wrong with translations Smile I just give you fact, I don't know how Python access JSON, it may be by internal bindings, HTTP , TCP or Websockets all those works completely differently have more or less problems.
The major problem being HTTP with libmicrohttp that is outdated.

Just read : https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/2262 for example.
So I'm sorry but I do exactly know what I'm talking about despite your pre edit message Wink I have 2 years experience with different Xbmc remoting and have some PR included in XBMC so I do also know XBMC code base ....

And about the feature as explained earlier I can't since then Yatse would no more works.

@MilhouseVH : I never said XBMC is bad or I would not use it, I just say that it has numerous bugs and some well known not addressed by not enough time by the team. I'll let you see the PR linked above for exemple, or the problems told by Lunatixz
Don't try to change my words Smile

About the rest, you remind me all those guys that are persuaded that you need to use task killer in Android and that apps must have exit buttons, despite the Android team telling everywhere no you should not this is not how android works in the end you'll use much more battery on well written apps.

Again I repeat I make choice based on experience and real numbers, you tells me it's wrong just because you are persuaded it's wrong but without any indicator or proof or knowledge to argue on it.

Now you tell me you could use 1/10 of notification and 9/10 pulling, and use tons of different hacks for each Xbmc version and for users of widgets / notification find something else ...

Now I will make it really clear, I do know what I do, I do choose what I do with Yatse (and if you hadn't look at Xbmc logs you'd never be aware of that, and never complained before since all works perfectly.)
So for the last time Yatse is efficient and it's proven by users feedback and numbers, show me a proof it's not ..

And for the last time : Please stop making people think that Yatse is bad and that what is used should not be used.
If you don't like how it works just do not use it.

RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Lunatixz - 2014-02-17

(2014-02-16, 23:51)Tolriq Wrote: About the rest, you remind me all those guys that are persuaded that you need to use task killer in Android and that apps must have exit buttons, despite the Android team telling everywhere no you should not this is not how android works in the end you'll use much more battery on well written apps.

I hold a Master in EE, So you are misinformed when comparing me to a mindless android user!
Truth be told, I'm in the hardware industry so my software knowledge is a little dated, but the fact still remains all I did was mention a small problem with your app; which apparently you're sensitive about...

Good luck, and keep up the great work... I still think this app is great, but you shouldn't ignore suggestions or bug complaints Smile

RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Tolriq - 2014-02-17

This remark was not for you since in the MilhouseVH part of the message.

I did explain you exactly how JSON works and why the problem is not Json but the server part and what cause problem on windows and why it does not affect Yatse.
I did try to explain you the difference from your remark about plugins and Yatse and why Yatse is not generating that and perhaps the problems is on python addon side.

But you refuse to read and continue to say the problem is how Yatse works ?

So what you refuse to understand it's that there's no bug in Yatse they are all
addressed and all corrected and every user suggestions are studied and handled when they are justified.

But this false repeated thing about notification without understanding how android works and how Yatse works is starting to become quite irritating.

I defy anyone that complains to just write a widget that display current media and times always up to date that use less power than full Yatse.

So as I said you do not believe me, no problem use another app but no choice in Yatse is random and this perhaps explain more than 500000 happy users and a 5 star rating.

RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - dgcruzing - 2014-02-17

I love it and it just works for me...got my trusty old HTC ego setup as a dedicated Yatse remote...wouldn't live without it..
Great job... Best money I have ever spent.

RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Lunatixz - 2014-02-17

@Tolriq, so whats the answer for my problem? If I don't use a widget, how can I stop this application from hammering my JSON?

RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Tolriq - 2014-02-17

Uninstall it ....

(2014-02-17, 20:56)Tolriq Wrote: Uninstall it ....

LOL, Thanks very helpful! Hopefully one day you will chose to add a disable option for unused services? Lets hope i'm the only user reporting this issue (god knows others are having problems, they just don't know how to trace back their issues... straight to your APP!).

Just LOL, you still refuse to understand how Yatse work and how it's coded and it's purpose ?
Are you that small minded to refuse to understand that your ask is not possible without a complete Yatse rewrite for no benefits.

Prove me one side effect of Yatse on your system and I'll gladly look at it Smile

Telling me when I start tons of addons that do python I have Xbmc crash, I'm glad to know it but there's 0 relation with Yatse.

So read again 100% of your posts, find me anything that I need to correct on Yatse apart your feeling that a batch JSON query every 2 sec when the app is on to read only static Xbmc values are bad and I'll look into it.
But right now I only see one person that do not like something for no real reason. Every remark you made are completely out of topic about Yatse impact ....

RE: Yatse - Full featured Xbmc Remote and Widgets for Android & Eden/Frodo - Tolriq - 2014-02-22

A small WIP available for tests in beta program Wink

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/106607702940190202508?cfem=1