Kodi's Official Piracy Policy - Printable Version
+- Kodi Community Forum (http://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Announcements (/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+--- Forum: Official Announcements and Forum Rules (/forumdisplay.php?fid=109)
+--- Thread: Kodi's Official Piracy Policy (/showthread.php?tid=119117)
Kodi's Official Piracy Policy - natethomas - 2012-01-07 10:56
Kodi's Official Forum Piracy Policy
1. All discussions dealing directly with or linking to add-ons, websites, or services that violate US copyright laws ("pirated content") will be closed when a forum moderator has been made aware of them. The original poster or add-on creator may provide a link to a website not hosted by Kodi for further discussion and inquiries.
2. Discussions for add-ons that link directly to pirated content and enables the user to access that content through the add-on will be shut down.
3. All links to pirated content will be removed.
4. "Pirated content" addons, websites, and services typically do not include the following (to be determined on a case-by-case basis if nessesary):
A. The add-on does not actually perform the act of accessing pirated content ("mistaken identitiy") [For example, Sickbeard, which performs no actual downloading or streaming.]
B. The add-on has the potential to access pirated content, but is potentially useful for downloading legal content as well. [For example, an add-on that downloads torrents is not, itself, a problem, since a torrent can cover a wide variety content, including legally distrubuted videos.]
C. The add-on links/accesses content in a similar way to a normal web browser. This is done under the assumption that if the content owner did not want the content streamed, the owner should have not made the content available to be streamed in their site. [For example, the Bluecop Repository.]
D. The add-on accesses content with permission of the content owner, the content is "copyleft" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft), or the add-on accesses content without the clear disapproval of the content owner. Kodi will do its best to comply with DMCA-related takedown requests.
Thread originators or add-on developers may petition Forum Moderators to re-open a thread that was closed if he or she believes one of the above exceptions applies.
5. Fair use exceptions apply for issues such as small video samples for testing and debugging, fanart and related artwork, video and audio summaries, subtitles, etc.
6. These rules apply only to the forum. They do not apply to the Kodi Addon Repository. At no point will any user be prevented from using Kodi Media Center as they so choose, nor will they be prevented from adding additional Addons not in the Kodi Addon Repository or additional addon repositories.
- natethomas - 2012-01-07 11:17
For discussion on this topic, see: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=117995