Kodi Community Forum
Help with XBMC! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: Help with XBMC! (/showthread.php?tid=120985)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Help with XBMC! - patseguin - 2012-01-25

This is my first foray into a media center. I was using Windows Media Center with terrible results and the community at Neowin told me to use XBMC so I downloaded the latest beta. I was able to find and view the videos I had already ripped and encoded and view them. My first question is what is the difference between encode and transcode? I was told to transcode my MKV's (ripped with MakeMKV) for XBMC but I don't know how to do that. My second question is should I stick with Windows 7 for this HTPC or install Ubuntu and install the Linux variant of XBMC?

Lastly, what's the best kind of input device for XBMC? I'm using a mini keyboard/touchpad but it's a little cumbersome as the touchpad moves pretty slowly no matter how much I try to speed it up.

Thanks!

Welcome aboard the XBMC forums... - PatK - 2012-01-25

I concur with the community at Neowin, XBMC is the only way to travel media!

Encode and transcode... with regards to file compression, the first is the compression from a raw format (which might itself be a kind of compression, but seen as raw by some). Transcode would be to re-compress from one format to another... but the because almost every 'RAW' format is not really raw... the two terms are used almost interchangeably with regard to the contents of the the file. So the statement 'I encoded a raw broadcast file' into mpeg1 and then transcoded it into an mpeg4 for better transmission size, could be applicable.

Ripping a disk with MakeMKV is useful in that you don't lose much picture quality and it's pretty fast at transcoding into individual files/episodes. Get the software (Google) and it's pretty explanatory after that, but is beyond the scope of the XBMC forums.

Stick with Windows 7 if you want my help. (just a personal choice). XBMC runs well on most systems, although the updates might be a bit behind on some.

I use a wireless keyboard and mouse (logitech) without issues. Although most of the skins use a remote control device and most are quite happy with it.

- patseguin - 2012-01-25

I already have MakeMKV and used it to rip a couple of Blu Rays. I tkae it the file that Make MFV is a RAW format? Will XBMC transcode or do I need something else running in the background for that?

Yes, I am sticking with Win 7, especially to make file sharing easier and stuff.

And on a tangent, can I rip 3D Blu Rays and view them in 3D in XBMC?

- bluray - 2012-01-25

If you have plenty of storage, it is best to rip it to ISO/MKV without any type of encode. ISO will have all the original options as what you have in BD. If you want to strip all the un-wanted contents, rip it to MKV is a good idea. You can try 3D with XBMC first. If you don't like how it look, you can always setup XbMC external player to handle 3D and DTS-HD/TrueHD movies. You can use the guide from this thread- Working External Player Solution.

- patseguin - 2012-01-25

I haven't ween anything that rips to ISO. Can you tell me what software does that?

- bluray - 2012-01-25

patseguin Wrote:I haven't ween anything that rips to ISO. Can you tell me what software does that?
AnyDVD HD, DVDFab, BlurayRipper, etc

- patseguin - 2012-01-25

OK so after I use those to make an ISO for instance, will XBMC play them or do I need something else?

- kricker - 2012-01-25

It has been a while since I've played ISO files, but if memory serves me right, they should work just fine in XBMC without anything else.

See http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Features_and_Supported_Formats/Codecs.

- bluray - 2012-01-25

patseguin Wrote:OK so after I use those to make an ISO for instance, will XBMC play them or do I need something else?
If ISO is encrypted, you'll need AnyDVD HD. If you haven't decide on ISO ripping software, I'm recommending AnyDVD HD. It's the best software out there. It can decrypt encrypted BD and ripping it to ISO or BD folder. With AnyDVD HD in the background, XBMC beta1&2 can playback just about anything (including BD directly on BD-ROM)!

- patseguin - 2012-01-26

I have DVD Fab and I don't see any option to rip to IOS. Can you enlighten me?

- bluray - 2012-01-26

patseguin Wrote:I have DVD Fab and I don't see any option to rip to IOS. Can you enlighten me?
You need to select ISO for your target. You can use my screen shot below as guide:

- patseguin - 2012-01-26

OK, so does XBMC directly read the ISO? Right now I'm watching The Departed which I encoded as an mp4 and what I thought was AC3 audio, but I have a stunning picture with only stereo sound.

- kricker - 2012-01-26

XBMC does read the ISO directly.

- patseguin - 2012-01-26

Thanks, you guys are so helpful it's incredible. I'm now watching great looking Blue Rays right from my HTPC. I haven't tried ISO yet but I'm sure it will work fine as you said. What I did was I bought one of the those hybrid SSD/HD's 500GB as a boot drive then set up a 4 GB RAID0 for all my media. That should carry me a while. I also downgraded from my 6870X2 to an nVidia 430 and it actually works better lol. I have the drives set in BIOS to IDE mode. I was thinking about AHCI for performance but if the setup works, what difference does it make?

- bluray - 2012-01-26

Yes, XBMC can playback ISO. I just watched Cowboys & Aliens BD ISO using Beta2. I still preferred using TMT5 for XBMC external player though. It have all my favorite DTS-HD, chapters, menus, etc when playback BD ISO....