Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- meridius - 2012-02-07

bluray Wrote:I don't have info on your Xonar, but make sure you do these in XBMC:

Why do you have both

Adjust refresh rate to match Video

And

Sync playback to display.

Surely u would only use one or the other ?

I have adjust refresh rate to match video as I use 24p but don't have sync playback to display

U would use sync playback to display if u had 24p source and the tv was in 60hz and it would sync it to that refresh

Or am I totaly wrong here and could I or anyone explain

Cheers

- mrhyde1969 - 2012-02-07

steelman1991 Wrote:I too had difficulty with several TrueHD files. I checked and found too that all had been ripped using MakeMKV. re-ripping with anothereac3to has resolved all my playback problems.

Seems that MakeMKV may have introduced something to the rip that is causing problems. Any one else clarify.

DTS-MA files ripped using MakeMKV do not show the same characteristics.

What did you use to re-rip? DTS-MA is also fine for me. I may just stick with the JULY version atm. Dont fancy going through all my movies to find which are TRUE HD and having to re-rip em..
I only have a few titles that are DIGITAL PLUS anyway so I can live with downsampling them and keeping TRUE HD and DTS MASTER

- steelman1991 - 2012-02-07

steelman1991 Wrote:I too had difficulty with several TrueHD files. I checked and found too that all had been ripped using MakeMKV. re-ripping with anothereac3to has resolved all my playback problems.

Seems that MakeMKV may have introduced something to the rip that is causing problems. Any one else clarify.

I used Another EAC3toGUI - available here

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17002

ClownBD is another option to demux prior to remux with mkvmerge, or tsmuxer

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-07

meridius Wrote:Why do you have both

And

I have adjust refresh rate to match video as I use 24p but don't have sync playback to display

U would use sync playback to display if u had 24p source and the tv was in 60hz and it would sync it to that refresh

Cheers

The primary reason for using sync to display is when the video card you have (which, by the way is all of them) is unable to sync completely with the TV refresh rate.

Let's say that your video card can only do 23.980 and your TV supports 23.976. If you do not use the sync to display option, then your video card will see that the media is 23.976, and try to output that to the video card, which can't really do 23.976 and the result is dropped frames to the display.

If you choose sync to display, then XBMC sees that the TV is clocked in at 23976 and it tries to adjust the output based on the actual video card frequency to smooth out or minimize frame drops between the source, video card, and display.

meridius Wrote:Why do you have both

And

Cheers
In this context its absolutely pointless - as the wiki states that it doesn't work in passthrough - though its unclear whether this refers purely to resampling, or all three methods.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Settings/Videos

steelman1991 Wrote:In this context its absolutely pointless - as the wiki states that it doesn't work in passthrough - though its unclear whether this refers purely to resampling, or all three methods.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Settings/Videos

What determines if passthrough is in use? Is all bitstream audio automatically passthrough?

It still does not make sense to me. If I use these settings with regular core DTS from a DTS-MA track, I get no frame drops. Play the exact same vide, with same settings, with this new patched build, and I get one frame drop every 5-10 minutes using DTS-MA bitstream.... so, something is different.

I would presume so.

- greysquirrel - 2012-02-07

I just can't get TrueHD to work, ripped with 1.7.0 engine. Also, whilst DTSMA works, sometimes it only registers as DTS and I have to 'refresh' the receiver by changing the mode. These were also ripped with Makemkv. I am gonna try re-ripping them with something else and see if it is makemkv adding something that it shouldn't.

- bluray - 2012-02-07

greysquirrel Wrote:I just can't get TrueHD to work, ripped with 1.7.0 engine. Also, whilst DTSMA works, sometimes it only registers as DTS and I have to 'refresh' the receiver by changing the mode. These were also ripped with Makemkv. I am gonna try re-ripping them with something else and see if it is makemkv adding something that it shouldn't.
You can try to convert your MKV file to M2TS file with TsMuxer. You can strip all other audio codecs other than TrueHD. If you don't like sub, you can remove it too. It'll take very little time to do it. If it work, you have your answer. You can download it from here- TsMuxer.

greysquirrel Wrote:I just can't get TrueHD to work, ripped with 1.7.0 engine. Also, whilst DTSMA works, sometimes it only registers as DTS and I have to 'refresh' the receiver by changing the mode. These were also ripped with Makemkv. I am gonna try re-ripping them with something else and see if it is makemkv adding something that it shouldn't.

Can you provide a Dolby True-HD title that's not working? I've tried Batman Begins and one or two others, ripped with MakeMKV and they seem to be working okay.

- greysquirrel - 2012-02-07

My first thought was to convert to m2ts, tried with tsmuxergui and it won't open truehd audio. I only have 2 thd files at the mo, both don't work but main problem is Kung Fu panda 2. I will try reripping straight to m2ts and am in process of running dtsma files through Mkvmerge to see if that strips out anything. It must either be a problem with using Mkv as a container (surely can't be as others have it working) or more likely the version of makemkv I used caused tiny header glitches or something.

- a11599 - 2012-02-07

If you set sync method to resample but XBMC is bitstreaming, it will fall back to drop/dupe internally. voip-ninja, the reason why you see the stutter might be because the packet duration is calculated incorrectly (see my report somewhere in the beginning), at least for dts-ma (no clue about truehd).

What happens normally with dts-core? Each packet is 10.67 ms. XBMC continuously monitors how audio drifts away from video. If the audio is more than a packet "away" from video, it will repeat or skip audio packets to get in sync with video. Suppose audio is 11 ms late to video, then XBMC will skip the next dts core packet. Then, audio is only 1 ms behind.

But when the drift is more than 100 ms, XBMC will not attempt to do this. Instead, it does a resync (sort of a seek), and that can drop video frames. The issue is that packet duration calculation is not working correctly with dts-ma and dts-ma packets are recognized being 170.67 ms. Therefore the normal audio packet drop/dupe is never occuring. So instead of slowly dropping/repeating audio packets to keep audio in sync with video it will just do a resync when audio is away by 100 msecs. If you watch carefully, you should experience lipsync issues before the framedrop occurs.

That's valuable and interesting information and you are right, it explains exactly why I am not seeing any frame-drop with DTS and why I am seeing frame drop with DTS-MA.

Is there any chance of seeing it "fixed" to the extent that if the video and display are slightly out of sync, that I can get playback working without the duplicated or dropped frames?

I suppose another option is to use reclock to simply re-clock everything to 1080p/24.00 since my display supports 24.00 and so does my video card.

- ArieS - 2012-02-07

voip-ninja Wrote:Can you provide a Dolby True-HD title that's not working? I've tried Batman Begins and one or two others, ripped with MakeMKV and they seem to be working okay.
Are you sure it's working after it was ripped with MakeMKV?
Because we are already quite a few to have reported that it's not working properly.
Are you playing the TrueHD track or decoding it to PCM?

- T800 - 2012-02-08

Are the MakeMKV TrueHD files not working because they don't have the interleaved legacy ac3?