Kodi Community Forum
sharing files over wifi - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: sharing files over wifi (/showthread.php?tid=123760)

Pages: 1 2

sharing files over wifi - bricktop - 2012-02-23

ive installed xmbc on my bruvs laptop and now want to be able to connect his xmbc to my media folder that is on my desktop, he lives next door to me and uses my router wirelessly .

how do i go about this?
thanks

- DDDamian - 2012-02-23

Easiest method (since you're on a Lan) is simply to share the folder. Go to Windows Explorer, right-click the folder and go to Sharing.

Once done, go to the laptop and (for ease of use) map the Shared directory to a Network Drive, also thru Windows Explorer.

It should now show up as a drive letter in XBMC.

FYI, hope neither PC is running XP - difficult to connect XP to Win 7...

- bricktop - 2012-02-23

thanks Damian, do we both need to be part of the homegroup to do this?

- DDDamian - 2012-02-23

Strongly advise - will make life easier Smile

- bricktop - 2012-02-23

it sounds and looks like it should be easy but im stuck,

i dont seem to be able to browse to the folder in XBMC

should i be using the uPnP devices or windows network (smb)

?

i can find my pc on his laptop but not my media folder

- DDDamian - 2012-02-23

Did you map the network folder to a drive letter? If so (and you can see it in Windows Explorer) it will show up in the add source window in XBMC.

Also make sure "Reconnect on start-up" is selected when you map the drive.

- bricktop - 2012-02-23

no i havent is this an easy task to do map a network folder?

- DDDamian - 2012-02-23

very. you need to be able to see the folder if you go to Windows Explorer and network places. then ust right-click on it for "Map to Network Drive" or something similar.

Also, be sure he has permission to access the folder from your machine. Under Properties/Security for the folder.

- bricktop - 2012-02-23

getting there Smile

i can now find the folder on the laptop its in the homegroup but i still cant find it in XBMC

add source - browse - uPnP Devices - bricktop pc -

and then i get the choice of music, pictures, playlist, video

cant see the media folder :?

i could just let him use the media folder from his explorer but then he wont be getting the xmbc experience Smile

- bricktop - 2012-02-23

im stuck dont know what else to try :/

- bricktop - 2012-02-23

got it Smile

thanks for the help DDDamian

- DDDamian - 2012-02-23

Glad I could help - enjoy Big Grin

- jdanderson - 2012-02-24

What OS is all your media on?

Have you checked the advanced sharing settings?
Do you have a username/password on that machine?

I've always found it easier to have a username/password setup, you can then setup auto login so you dont have to fuss with it, and then when you setup the
mapped network drive choose the option to "logon with other credentials".

then you type in that username/password (mediacompname\username and then password). or create a sperate username for him.

you will be able to navigate through explorer to the folder now...

Also, map that drive straight to the media folder \\yourcomputer\media

LOL, i was late..and didn't see pg2.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-24

Lol - great advice though Laugh

- wbread99 - 2012-02-26

Yikes.

My neighbor does the same thing with my network drives. Its just media. I don't care. The way I get my head around it is imagining their comps are in my house, not theirs.

I get them on my network, set up the sharing properties, and then map my drives on their laptops.

I just map my drives on their machines as if they were in the house. Then in XBMC, I use the SMB server function and add the hard drive locations. Works like a champ most of the time.

Only problem I've had: If for some reason, W7 doesnt see the drives, XBMC won't either. That means exiting XBMC, going and "finding" the drives again, and once windows see them, starting XBMC again.

I've only had marginal success with UPNP, but admit I haven't spent much time on it. Even through/around our concrete walls, our neighbors see a strong enough wireless signal to stream our media on their laptops. everything in my house is wired, freeing up wireless bandwidth, so no worries there.

Just my .02. Loving every bit of my XBMC experience. Times 6 in this house.