Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Intro Movie - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: XBMC Intro Movie (/showthread.php?tid=124124)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- Hitcher - 2012-03-04

In that case just edit the home.xml of whatever skin you're using.

- htpc guy - 2012-03-04

Hitcher Wrote:In that case just edit the home.xml of whatever skin you're using.

That is what I'm doing nowWink
I'm just saying there is no reason why it shouldn't work for OpenELEC AFAIK.

Yes it will add to the time it takes to launch XBMC but what else would you expect when you are replacing a static image with a video file.

- torch1 - 2012-03-05

Ok got it working on my ATV2, looks great by the way! But does anyone else have about a 3 or 4 second black delay until it plays? Or is that just me?

- PatK - 2012-03-05

Just to be clear and simple.... to get this to work on Eden RC2

copy your video.avi (or whatever extension) to a known local place... I used a folder called Splash in the userdata directory and called the file Splash_video.mp4

For Transparency!

go to \XBMC\addons\skin.transparency\720p

and using an xml editor (such as notepad++ with language xml ) on the file Home.xml add this line close to the top of the file, edit the path if needed.

onload condition="Window.Previous(startup)">XBMC.PlayMedia(special://userdata/Splash/Splash_video.mp4)</onload>

Throw this line in your advancedsettings.xml to kill the current splash screen.

<splash>false</splash>

It worked as advertised, but I noticed a slight glitch/shudder in the video, so I ended up copying the video to my ram drive, and doing a substitution for the splash folder... nice and smooth now.

I hope we see more videos of this calibre to choose from.

- TechLife - 2012-03-05

torch1 Wrote:Ok got it working on my ATV2, looks great by the way! But does anyone else have about a 3 or 4 second black delay until it plays? Or is that just me?

Yes, there was for me. Sometimes I would even see the menu before it played. I fixed this on my rig (in Aeon Nox) by putting this as high as possible in the home.xml:
Code:
<window id="0">
    <defaultcontrol always="true">9000</defaultcontrol>
  <onload condition="Window.Previous(startup)">XBMC.PlayMedia(special://skin/intro.mov)</onload>
This is the first 3 lines of home.xml. When I had it down on line 5 or 6 is when I had issues... I think it may depend on the video you are using as well, but I haven't played enough to confirm or deny that at this point.

- Hypknox - 2012-03-08

I've followed the instructions provided and XBMC does indeed boot up and play the intro movie first but I've noticed that I still have a slight glitch as PatK described. It also shows the actual home screen for like a millisecond before it plays the intro movie.

I've moved the line of code in the home.xml up to as high as possible already.

I used clipconverter.cc to save this clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWripEEBwmM

It's mp4 format, 1.46mb (I saved it as 1080p quality)

Perhaps this file is too large and that's causing the minor glitch before the movie plays? I don't follow Patk 100% when he says he relocated the file to his RAM drive. Is this the root of C: or what are we talking about here?

- Hypknox - 2012-03-08

I was thinking about this some more and I wonder if something like this wouldn't be a fool proof way to execute this. This should also get rid of the xbmc loading box that pops up for like a millisecond showing that it is rendering the movie from home.xml.

Would it work to set up a batch file to load and play the intro movie, then a wait command for the duration of the movie, then a command to load xbmc? Of course you will still want to disable the splash screen in advancedsettings.xml so that you load directly into Home screen when xbmc loads.

I'm currently set up to auto boot into XBMC as a shell but I don't believe that's even necessary for me as I'm running on an SSD so boot times are fine without doing this.

Would someone with the knowledge on batch files mind tossing together the lines that would be necessary to achieve this?

Somethings like -

start intro movie
command for wait (8 seconds) or whatever the into movie duration is
start xbmc

- cank - 2012-03-08

I want to get this working but I can't seem to figure it out. Does the advanced setting xml file need to go in the installed path for xbmc or the roaming userdata file?

Also, in the path for the movie to play, what is the "(special://" referring too? I looked in the debug file and it looks like a folder location is being assigned to that but I'm a noob!!!

BTW I am using the Confluence Skin

- ronie - 2012-03-08

Hypknox Wrote:I've followed the instructions provided and XBMC does indeed boot up and play the intro movie first but I've noticed that I still have a slight glitch as PatK described. It also shows the actual home screen for like a millisecond before it plays the intro movie.

i wonder why everyone is putting the code in Home.xml...

you should load the movie in Startup.xml instead:
Code:
<onload>XBMC.PlayMedia(special://skin/intro.mov)</onload>

might just make the tiny difference you're looking for :-)

- ronie - 2012-03-08

cank Wrote:I want to get this working but I can't seem to figure it out. Does the advanced setting xml file need to go in the installed path for xbmc or the roaming userdata file?

Also, in the path for the movie to play, what is the "(special://" referring too? I looked in the debug file and it looks like a folder location is being assigned to that but I'm a noob!!!

BTW I am using the Confluence Skin

special://skin/ points to the folder where the skin is installed

- TechLife - 2012-03-08

Thanks Ronie! I didn't know you could put it there. For me at least, that makes a huge difference in the flow of everything. Seeing how the video loads immediately, there is no black screen delay where it just feels like the splash screen is missing. It feels much more fluid as opposed to forced.

- cank - 2012-03-08

ronie Wrote:special://skin/ points to the folder where the skin is installed

And that is this
C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\addons\skin.confluence, right?
When I put the movie in that folder I get a blank start up screen but no movie.

- Hypknox - 2012-03-08

Thanks Ronie I will give that shot.

In regards to the special://skin/ I noticed that I had to change special to the actual full directory of where I had my movie located in order to get it to play.

- Hypknox - 2012-03-08

Adding that line to startup.xml instead of home.xml the movie doesn't play at all.
Are we talking about a startup.xml located in another directory? Or are we talking about the startup.xml located in your skin 720p folder?

- htpc guy - 2012-03-08

ronie Wrote:i wonder why everyone is putting the code in Home.xml...

you should load the movie in Startup.xml instead:
Code:
<onload>XBMC.PlayMedia(special://skin/intro.mov)</onload>

might just make the tiny difference you're looking for :-)

Hmmm...
I'm using Nox and have no issues w/ the home.xml. I tried removing it and putting it in startup.xml and it didn't pay at all. I guess mileage may vary. I'll update the post suggesting startup.xml as an alternative.