Kodi Community Forum
No SMB share after update - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: No SMB share after update (/showthread.php?tid=124622)

Pages: 1 2

No SMB share after update - derdude - 2012-03-04

Hi,

I've been runnung the 'old' XBMC version Dharma for a long time without problems. The media files are stored on a NAS (Conceptronics CH3SNAS) . Yesterday I decided to update to XBMC version 11.0-RC1. Unfortunately
now I'm in trouble cause XBMC cannot find my SMB-share anymore.

I tested the share with a mobile phone app and it worked fine.
Then I edited the XBMC sources.xml with the correct values and got an
"Operation timed out" error.
Log file

Any suggestion to solve it?

Cheers,
derdude

- Memphiz - 2012-03-04

Try to use the ip instead of the netbios name.

Und niemals bist du der dude. Es gibt nur einen dude! Wink

- derdude - 2012-03-04

Now I tried to set the IP address instead in sources.xml.
In XBMC I choose the share and the dialog "Einstellungen sperren" appears
and forced me to set user and password (which were already set in the sourcel.xml). After set user/pwd I clicked 'ok' and the same dialog appears again Confused .
Very strange....

Could someome send me an example of sources.xml?

@Memphiz: Du hast mich ertappt. Aber "White Russian" trinke ich auch ganz gern. Laugh

Cheers,
derdude

- Maetrik - 2012-03-04

Show me yours, i'll show you mine Tongue
Just kidding, it should look like
Code:
<video>
  <source>
    <name>something</name>
        <path pathversion="1">smb://user:[email protected]/folder/</path>
  </source>
</video>

- derdude - 2012-03-04

My settings look similar. Cause xbmc cannot See my share in the GUI, there might be another issue when running xbmc with my NAS. This eden-version drives me crazy. But I don't give up. Rolleyes

Cheers,
derdude

- Memphiz - 2012-03-05

As so often its all about good network and server configuration. Once this is garantied xbmc starts working like a champ...

- derdude - 2012-03-05

Memphiz Wrote:As so often its all about good network and server configuration. Once this is garantied xbmc starts working like a champ...

I also think, that's the key. But the strange thing is, that the share works with other devices.
The update from Dharma to Eden was made by NitoTV. Maybe a config-file was not updated or something like that.
I think I update again from command line. Will this update the hole xbmc or should I delete xbmc manually before an update/install?

Cheers,
derdude

- jpcolin - 2012-03-05

Memphiz Wrote:As so often its all about good network and server configuration. Once this is garantied xbmc starts working like a champ...

Memphiz,

Do you have a guide or something on how to make a good (the best) network and server configuration for XBMC? Are there some tricks or tips?
I have a Synology NAS with SMB.

It works quite good but maybe it could be better sincei did not configure anything ;-)

- Memphiz - 2012-03-05

provide a new log with enabled debug option this time...

- notable17 - 2012-03-05

jpcolin Wrote:Memphiz,

Do you have a guide or something on how to make a good (the best) network and server configuration for XBMC? Are there some tricks or tips?
I have a Synology NAS with SMB.

It works quite good but maybe it could be better sincei did not configure anything ;-)
I had the same issue when I upgraded my atv2 to beta versions of Eden. The problem still persists today and I'm at RC2. My windows 7 XBMC works like a champ on the same "open" shares. Open meaning they are not password protected. I found a workaround by adding my smb sources manually but I used to be able to browse them. The format used for the manual share: smb://server_name_here_not_IP Works well after initial setup.

- derdude - 2012-03-05

notable17 Wrote:I had the same issue when I upgraded my atv2 to beta versions of Eden. The problem still persists today and I'm at RC2. My windows 7 XBMC works like a champ on the same "open" shares. Open meaning they are not password protected. I found a workaround by adding my smb sources manually but I used to be able to browse them. The format used for the manual share: smb://server_name_here_not_IP Works well after initial setup.

Unfortunately I cannot disable the password for SMB share in the NAS GUI. There always has to a user with password which can then use the share.

At the moment I use UPNP to make XBMC work before my wife kills me Big Grin. But besides that I'll keep on to find out the Share-problem.

@Memphiz: Tomorrow I'll send a debug-log. Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,
derdude

- notable17 - 2012-03-06

derdude Wrote:Unfortunately I cannot disable the password for SMB share in the NAS GUI. There always has to a user with password which can then use the share.

At the moment I use UPNP to make XBMC work before my wife kills me Big Grin. But besides that I'll keep on to find out the Share-problem.

@Memphiz: Tomorrow I'll send a debug-log. Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,
derdude
You could try the following: smb://username : password@machinename/

omit the spaces around the colon. I had to add them in order to avoid turning the "p" and colon into an emoticon

I haven't tried it but it's worth a try.

- Memphiz - 2012-03-06

notable17 Wrote:You could try the following: smb://username : password@machinename/

omit the spaces around the colon. I had to add them in order to avoid turning the "p" and colon into an emoticon

I haven't tried it but it's worth a try.

just fyi - you can turn off emoticons when posting - just check the checkbox "disable smilies in text" Wink

- derdude - 2012-03-06

Yesterday night I searched for SMB share problems for my NAS. It seems to be, that - as notable17 mentioned, some programs cannot handle password protected SMB shares. I assume that this is also the case in XBMC (Eden).

Later I downgraded to Dharma and now the SMB share works fine again...

Could someone have a look at the SMB implementation of XBMC? Unfortunately I haven't made a debug log last night.
But if it it strongly needed, I could install Eden again and make a log file. But this may take a while (eventually next weekend).

Cheers,
derdude

- Memphiz - 2012-03-06

Yeah its strongly needed. I'm using password protected samba shares without an issue. Samba server 3.xx is running on my nas and i configured the server on my own. (as more as i read of samba nas problems i don't trust any oft these manufacturers anymore...)

PS: looked at the smb implementation ... looks fine Wink