Kodi Community Forum
My Antec ISK-100 Build - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: My Antec ISK-100 Build (/showthread.php?tid=124713)

My Antec ISK-100 Build - TapRackPull - 2012-03-05

Hello world,

At the request of eskro, I have put together a build montage based on an Antec ISK-100 case. And when eskro asks you to do something, I say "Yes Sir!";anyone that contributes as much as he does gets my help when needed.

Let me start by saying that I feel this case is seriously under-rated as an HTPC case. That said, IF your primary concern is a fanless build, this case is not for you... I mean it has one built in!

So let's dive into the components.
Case - ANTEC ISK-100 w/ integrated 80watt PSU
Mobo - Zotac GF9300-K-E
CPU - Intel Celeron Dual Core 2.6GHz
Mem - Kingston 1GB DDR3
HDD - WD 320 GB (surplus drive from a fried laptop)
CPU Fan - Silverstone Low Profile 90mm CPU cooler (NT07-775)
Harmony 900 remote
Flirc - Thank you Jason Kotzin - FLIRC website
Lenovo Keyboard N5902 - for when you need more than a remote

For my build, I had very few, but, important requirements. First, a tiny footprint. Second, the ability to down-the-road expand into a 3-D system. Lastly, the ability to effortlessly stream fro mmy server full 1080 movies in an MKV format.

Now, before you jump down my throat about how I cannot expand this to a 3-D system without changing cases... I know. My end goal here was to get my wife hooked on the ease and simplicity. I achieved this in spades. Then when I remodel the living room, have the office closet repurposed as a server closet with a proper server rack, and at that point change out to a 2u or 3u server chasis. The server closet would store all my AV gear, server, HTPC there and distributing out to all the rooms in the house. And when I do that, I would expand into a better video card.

Notice that I case fan is mounted to the exterior of the case. The ISK-100 easily allows you to change the orientation, inside the case versus outside the case, as well as flip the fan over so that it blows ouot versus in. THe stock arrangement places the fan inside the case directly over the CPU and is blowing out. For me, that did not leave enough room for the CPU cooler and fan. So,I moved the case fan outside. I also flipped the fan over so that it bows into the case as opposed to out of the case. I couldn't rationalize why I would want one fan blowing out, and one fan blowing in directly at each other.

My biggest beef with the ISK-100 is that the rear I/O cover does not align perfectly with the motherboard. It seems the fit and finish of the cut out area for the panel is seriously lacking.

I personally am running XBMClive, and my boot time is 27seconds. Not a problem for me since I leave the system up and running nearly non-stop.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the build. There are wiz-bang features that I wish I had incorporated, but they are fluff and not substance. My objectives were fully met with this build, and frankly, will be met for some time in the future.

Regards,
Matt

- eskro - 2012-03-05

very nice build! thanks for showing it bro!

1. how's the WIFI on that zotac board? working without issues for you?

2. when u say, "the ISK-100 easily allows you to change the orientation of the fan
inside the case versus outside the case",
you mean, u can have the fan 'not' stick out of the case at all?
or even, not use/remove fan so that you have a flat cover kinda?

- Jetster - 2012-03-05

Nice ... very nice

- TapRackPull - 2012-03-05

I can't comment on the WiFi. I have never used it. I am hard wired Gig E.
As for the case fan, I will post some pics later today as to how to move the fan around. The case comes shipped with the fan inside the case (as in not visible from the outside), and blowing out. Four screws later and a little thought to how the fan wire needs to angle, and the fan is mounted outside (now visible) the case and blowing in. I never looked into not having the fan at all... I wanted high airflow to keep things frosty, but now that you mention it, I will look into whether the fan can be completely removed. My guess is yes, but not without getting a tad creative.

- TapRackPull - 2012-03-06

OK, I lied... you can not mount the fan INSIDE the case as in not visible. That was wishful thinking/remembering. You can however, easility set it up without the fan. The only caveat to that being that you would have to replace the screws provided with some sort of bolt. That way you can still secure the fan screen and prevent random junk from getting inside the case.

Mia Culpa.

- eskro - 2012-03-06

all good Smile