Kodi Community Forum
Release Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: Release Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) (/showthread.php?tid=124880)

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2014-05-22

(2014-05-22, 20:48)sualfred Wrote: Sometimes the ArtistSlideshow plugin takes a longer time to fetch fanarts and I also have a lot of local area artist here, which aren't in the web databases but they have a local fanart.
Is there any trigger that I can use to display the local fanart when the plugin hasn't downloaded a fanart yet?

AS will start displaying images (local or cached) pretty much immediately. Sometimes there's a little lag if AS has to get an artist's MusicBrainzID, and on my systems that has never been more than a few seconds. If there is no local or cached art, AS shows a blank screen (or a set of images you define in the settings) while it downloads the first image. After that AS will show the first image and keep adding images as they are downloaded.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - sualfred - 2014-05-23

(2014-05-22, 21:52)pkscuot Wrote:
(2014-05-22, 20:48)sualfred Wrote: Sometimes the ArtistSlideshow plugin takes a longer time to fetch fanarts and I also have a lot of local area artist here, which aren't in the web databases but they have a local fanart.
Is there any trigger that I can use to display the local fanart when the plugin hasn't downloaded a fanart yet?

AS will start displaying images (local or cached) pretty much immediately. Sometimes there's a little lag if AS has to get an artist's MusicBrainzID, and on my systems that has never been more than a few seconds. If there is no local or cached art, AS shows a blank screen (or a set of images you define in the settings) while it downloads the first image. After that AS will show the first image and keep adding images as they are downloaded.

Yes I know, and the black screen is my problem. I have this issue on 3 different PC and one of my skin users also reported it. A fallback option to the local fanart or a trigger to do it with the visible things would be awesome.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - mikebzh44 - 2014-05-23

Can you push your addon to Gotham repository ?

Because, for the moment, it's only list for Frodo :

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:Artist_Slideshow

Thanks.

EDIT : sorry, Artist Slideshow 1.6.5 is available in XBMC Gotham repository.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2014-05-23

Mahalo for the heads up. I'll check on why the wiki page is out of date. That information is suppose to be auto-generated, and I see that other add-ons are listed for both repos.

Re: RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - Martijn - 2014-05-23

(2014-05-23, 22:27)pkscuot Wrote: Mahalo for the heads up. I'll check on why the wiki page is out of date. That information is suppose to be auto-generated, and I see that other add-ons are listed for both repos.

Wiki doesn't use gotham yet I think

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2014-05-23

(2014-05-23, 22:29)Martijn Wrote:
(2014-05-23, 22:27)pkscuot Wrote: Mahalo for the heads up. I'll check on why the wiki page is out of date. That information is suppose to be auto-generated, and I see that other add-ons are listed for both repos.

Wiki doesn't use gotham yet I think

There are other add ons on the wiki page that have Gotham (v.13) listed. The last time I submitted a pull request I did so for Gotham and Frodo together. I wonder if that did something odd to the wiki generation stuff. Or maybe things are getting updated in phases and I just need to be patient. Wink

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - mikebzh44 - 2014-05-23

WiKi use Gotham :

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:Yahoo!_Weather

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - robwebset - 2014-05-25

Hi pkscuot,

Thanks for your work with Artist Slideshow - I have just made use of it in the Sonos addon, looks really nice!

I have read through the wiki, and have made use of:
  • Images of the artist (Core slideshow)
  • Artist Biography
  • Other Albums from the same artist

Was I missing anything else juicy that it supplies and I should add support for?

I do have some questions/requests - I hope you don't mind?

1. Would it be possible to have a setting in Artist Slideshow to enable/disable the logging (only when XBMC logging is on) as now I have it installed, if I enable debugging on one of the other addons to see what is happening - I automatically get Artist Slideshow logging as well (can make the log file a little harder to read).
  2. As I have launched it from another addon - I was wondering if there is an interface on Artist Slideshow that I can call to "pre-cache" an artist's information (It would help reduce the delay in data loading for the Sonos addon) - especially when the Sonos Addon can see what is coming up next in the playlist.

Thanks again for the addon!

Rob

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - robwebset - 2014-05-25

Maybe for request 2, something as simple as some more properties on the window:

"NEXTARTIST", "NEXTTITLE", "NEXTALBUM", "NEXTMBID"

Thoughts?

Rob

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2014-05-25

(2014-05-25, 16:39)rob_webset Wrote: Was I missing anything else juicy that it supplies and I should add support for?
Quote:Everything is documented in the wiki. The only thing I don't see in your list is similar artists, and I'm not really sure how valuable that is. That information comes from Last.FM, and at the rate they are closing access to their information, it's hard to say how long it will be there anyway.

1. Would it be possible to have a setting in Artist Slideshow to enable/disable the logging (only when XBMC logging is on) as now I have it installed, if I enable debugging on one of the other addons to see what is happening - I automatically get Artist Slideshow logging as well (can make the log file a little harder to read).
  2. As I have launched it from another addon - I was wondering if there is an interface on Artist Slideshow that I can call to "pre-cache" an artist's information (It would help reduce the delay in data loading for the Sonos addon) - especially when the Sonos Addon can see what is coming up next in the playlist.
I might look at #1, but it's an exceptionally niche request. I also think it would complicate things for people submitting debug logs for troubleshooting.

#2 really isn't a viable option. AS is designed at it's core to act on the current song and wait for a change to do something new. It would require some pretty substantial changes to do anything else. The majority of the delays come the very first time you listen to an artist. After that it's pretty quick to show existing artwork.

Hi pkscuot,

Item 1 is really an "etiquette" type of request - it will generally make it easier for other addon developers when they are trying to track down their own issues on other peoples installs.

I spotted this with TvTunes - which (if we didn't have an options in TvTunes settings) would pollute the log quite heavily if some-one had it on their system, and they were trying to generate debug for a different add-ons problem.

Hope you understand.

Thanks

Rob

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - robwebset - 2014-05-26

(2014-05-25, 19:02)pkscuot Wrote: #2 really isn't a viable option. AS is designed at it's core to act on the current song and wait for a change to do something new. It would require some pretty substantial changes to do anything else. The majority of the delays come the very first time you listen to an artist. After that it's pretty quick to show existing artwork.

Yes, I only had a quick look at the code, but it looks like the arguments to several methods would need to be parameterised rather that reading from class variables in methods such as _use_correct_artwork and _start_download, then different arguments could be passed to them from the loop in __init__

Rob

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2014-05-29

NEW BETA RELEASE

v.1.6.5.2
- added option to suppress all logging

https://github.com/pkscout/script.artistslideshow/archive/master.zip

This is a really minor release that adds the option to suppress all logging. Because I had to add a setting, it'll be awhile before all the translations catch up. So this probably won't get pushed into the repo for quite a bit. But if you really need to have the option to suppress logging, you can use this beta.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - robwebset - 2014-05-29

(2014-05-29, 02:55)pkscuot Wrote: NEW BETA RELEASE

v.1.6.5.2
- added option to suppress all logging

https://github.com/pkscout/script.artistslideshow/archive/master.zip

This is a really minor release that adds the option to suppress all logging. Because I had to add a setting, it'll be awhile before all the translations catch up. So this probably won't get pushed into the repo for quite a bit. But if you really need to have the option to suppress logging, you can use this beta.

Thanks for adding that pkscuot.

Please can I suggest that logging is suppressed by default, otherwise every other addon will need to ask for it to be turned off when their logging is turned on.

For example, I want to request that some-one supplies a debug log for TvTunes, I have to ask:

1) Enable system logging
2) Go to the Artist Slideshow addon (if installed) - disable logging
3) Go to TvTunes and enable logging

Similarly for Video Extras:

1) Enable system logging
2) Go to the Artist Slideshow addon (if installed) - disable logging
3) Go to VideoExtras and enable logging

Where there shouldn't really be a need to refer to a different addon when wanting logging.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Rob

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2014-05-29

I've done all I'm going to do on the logging. I often wade through debug logs that have lots of addon data and manage. Disabling logging by default would mean I have to tell people to go do two things just to get a log that's helpful (turn on debug logging *and* enable logging in the addon).