Kodi Community Forum
Subtitle suffix .srt - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Subtitle suffix .srt (/showthread.php?tid=126508)

Pages: 1 2

Subtitle suffix .srt - Baswazz - 2012-03-25

I just found out that if i add .Language to the .srt file (moviename.Language.srt) that in Media Player Classic or Potplayer for example will show the Language name instead of a ugly moviename.srt

So i dived in the xmbc wiki and read that xbmc allows multi-language subtitles, only it still shows the ugly moviename.srt

When, for example you have an .mkv file with an .srt subtitle merged-in, xbmc does show nicely the subtitle language only.

Can this be added for external subtitles as-well?

RE: Subtitle suffix .srt - PatK - 2012-03-25

Great idea... why not put this message in 'Feature Suggestions' thread?

RE: Subtitle suffix .srt - Baswazz - 2012-03-25

Thx for the vote Big Grin
That is indeed a better place for this thread, can a forum moderator move it please.

RE: Subtitle suffix .srt - Ned Scott - 2012-03-25

Thread moved

RE: Subtitle suffix .srt - Zokkel - 2012-05-10

I add my vote for this! Big Grin

And while we're at this:
In the OSD menu there is a special button 'subtitles', that is used when you enable the subtitle-add. that buttons allows you to get subs from the internet.

Your own subs then, you have to change that in the OSD menu with the button "audio and subtitle settings"

Shouldn't it be a good idea to combine all this in a general subtitle menu/button?

RE: Subtitle suffix .srt - Baswazz - 2012-05-10

Thx Smile I don't use the subtitle addon myself, but it does make sense if you can handle all the subtitles from one place. It makes it more easy to understand for people who are not familiar with xbmc.

RE: Subtitle suffix .srt - Zokkel - 2012-06-05

Normally I don't bump things, but due audio problems in Eden, I have to focus on nightbuilds and eventually Frodo with the new AE.

So with that in mind, I would like to bring this topic back up to your attention.

Can I kindly ask the developers if they will look for this suggestion? I see there are not that many votes (Strange: many people use subtitles though...), but -and this is a question, not an attack!- is it much work to change the code for manly this problem?

(2012-03-25, 16:19)Baswazz Wrote: When, for example you have an .mkv file with an .srt subtitle merged-in, xbmc does show nicely the subtitle language only.

Can this be added for external subtitles as-well?

and if it is possible:

(2012-05-10, 10:45)Zokkel Wrote: In the OSD menu there is a special button 'subtitles', that is used when you enable the subtitle-add. that buttons allows you to get subs from the internet.

Your own subs then, you have to change that in the OSD menu with the button "audio and subtitle settings"

Shouldn't it be a good idea to combine all this in a general subtitle menu/button?

I don't know anything about codes, so don't shoot me if the answer is: YES, that's a hell lot of work for such a small change... Big Grin

RE: Subtitle suffix .srt - sialivi - 2012-06-05

FYI, to avoid duplicate request ticket, I already created a ticket for this a year ago, http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11715

RE: Subtitle suffix .srt - Zokkel - 2012-06-06

Suggestions are not longer supported by trac...
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13085

So we have to do it here Wink

But let's also copy your trac ticket to here, because this is all related to each other:

(2012-06-05, 19:03)sialivi Wrote: When toggling between subtitles ('l') the messages in the "toast" isn't always very user friendly. Example:

I have an .mkv file which contain multiple internal PGS subtitles in various languages. The track names are unfortunatly only set to "PGS", but the language fields are properly set. I also have two external subtitle present: a.quite.long.filename.for.this.example.English.srt and a.quite.long.filename.for.this.example.Director's Commentary.srt, using the common <moviename>.<language or track name>.srt naming convention.

When toggling between the subtitles this is the information shown in the "toast" (also note that the filenames shown are truncated and none of the skins I've used scroll this text):

* "PGS"
* "PGS"
* "PGS"
* "a.quite.long.filen..."
* "a.quite.long.filen..."
* "Disabled"

Not very helpful. Something like this would be far more useful:

* "PGS (English)"
* "PGS (Swedish)"
* "PGS (Spanish)"
* "English" or "English (a.quite.long.filename.for.this.example.English.srt)
* "Director's Commentary" or "Director's Commentary (a.quite.long.filename.for.this.example.Director's Commentary.srt)
* "Disabled"

Now, start voting Big Grin

RE: Subtitle suffix .srt - Baswazz - 2012-06-08

Thx guys for bumping this topic. This definitely a missing feature for external subtitles.
I am still surprised that there aren't any 'new' votes for this, and no comments from the developers.

Developers where are you?

RE: Subtitle suffix .srt - tim619 - 2012-06-21

I would also like to see this in upcoming (nightly) version maybe same.as.file.english.srt or same.as.file.en.srt -> English

RE: Subtitle suffix .srt - jfranki - 2012-07-16

Voted. I think this is an aspect that should be taken care of, and I imagine not very difficult to solve...

Also, if it's going to be fixed, I think it should be specified the format of the external subtitles in a clear way. I supose there could be three ways to do this:

e.g.
1) ISO 639-1 code:
Episode name.mkv
Episode name.en.srt
Episode name.es.srt
Episode name.fr.srt
Episode name.de.srt

2) ISO 639-2 code:
Episode name.mkv
Episode name.eng.srt
Episode name.spa.srt
Episode name.fre.srt
Episode name.ger.srt

3) English name of code (as stated in the wiki)
Episode name.mkv
Episode name.english.srt
Episode name.spanish.srt
Episode name.french.srt
Episode name.german.srt

More info: Language codes

RE: Subtitle suffix .srt - PatK - 2012-07-18

+1 would make XBMC that much more slick.

RE: Subtitle suffix .srt - tria - 2012-07-18

Isn't this feature already there?
When you download a subtitle with a language, the subtitle file will end with that language shortcut (e.g. if English it will end with .en.srt or .en.ass...etc). And when you have multiple subtitles, and switch between them using L shortcut (or your remote) while playing you see a message stating something like "MovieName.en.srt [English]" or "MovieName.jp.srt [Japanese]" ... etc.
I am currently having the above effect, using Eden with Aeon Nox skin.
Am I the only one having this feature, or am I missing what you all are requesting?

What I wish for this is to remove the "MovieName.en.srt [English]" and replace it with something more meaningful like "English Subtitles [English]". It also wouldn't hurt to have support for displaying "(hearing impaired)", by looking for something that indicate this in the subtitle filename (e.g. (hi).en.srt). Also, "(Signs)" for filename (s).en.srt

+1 for doing what all other people is asking (even though I believe it is there) + what I suggested

RE: Subtitle suffix .srt - Tycho91 - 2012-09-13

Bumping this since it still doesnt workSmile

Maybe add the ability to specify a default subtitle language or even audio language?
A lot of my movies have multiple subtitles and languages and dutch is never first in line so I always have to change it. I could remux them to only have 1 audio and 1 subtitle track but that would taken centuries.