Kodi Community Forum
What feature would you like to see in the next xbmc version? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: What feature would you like to see in the next xbmc version? (/showthread.php?tid=126652)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

What feature would you like to see in the next xbmc version? - zag - 2012-03-26

So now the Eden final has been released, I guess new features can be worked on again.

So what features would people like to see in the next xbmc releases?

RE: What feature would you like to see in the next xbmc version? - pike - 2012-03-26

you asking because you're gonna code them ? :p

RE: What feature would you like to see in the next xbmc version? - zag - 2012-03-26

(2012-03-26, 13:14)pike Wrote: you asking because you're gonna code them ? :p

I wish Big Grin

I'll start then:

- TVserver integration
- Better new theme explorer (showcase type thing)
- Improvements to large library navigation (index views, out of the box sms remote, instant favourite filters)
- Log file creation button
- XBMC social network

RE: What feature would you like to see in the next xbmc version? - amet - 2012-03-26

(2012-03-26, 15:42)zag2me Wrote: - XBMC social network

yeah right, like that will ever happen Big Grin

RE: What feature would you like to see in the next xbmc version? - zag - 2012-03-26

I guess with trakt.tv and last.fm features these days its not such a priority. I have movie plays linked to facebook now and always get a few comments from friends about if the movie was any good or not.

I always did think it would be nice to make more of a feedback loop for media though.

Just playing tvshows or movies isn't really what home theatre should be about, it should be more social.

RE: What feature would you like to see in the next xbmc version? - KASPERSMITH - 2012-03-26

A couple of wishes for future releases:

1) Add menu button + submenu directly through the user interface, without having to edit in code.
2) Slingbox add-on.
3) Easy way to costomize icons for programs/add-ons.
4) Easy backup functionality of user settings, etc.
5) Through ATV remote - hold down menu button and return to home screen.

RE: What feature would you like to see in the next xbmc version? - ghostelement - 2012-03-26

XBMC Server integration built in. All media, art, metadata, and settings are stored on a central server. Your client XBMC boxes will all show the same information no matter what because they are all accessing it from the same central point. Things like themes or playlists can be changed on the client boxes, but everything is pretty much synced. When you install an addon on one computer, it will install it on all of the clients. It will ask you if you want to enable that addon for all clients, or just this one you're currently on.

Video calling (using google voice or google hang outs)

PVR functionality built in.

Built in kids mode - Activating this mode would use a dumbed down kids skin. There will be pin code locks on content and settings. You will be able to setup rules as to what content can be played. You can define certain folders as allowed, or setup rules based on content ratings. (Rated G-PG is safe).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Smile Now if I only could learn to code! Tongue

RE: What feature would you like to see in the next xbmc version? - DDDamian - 2012-03-26

Thumbs are being merged to the textures.db after Eden, so that helps.

- a migration tool - simply updates paths in SQLite or MySQL databases to make moving media painless
- AE finally integrated for HD audio & 24-bit playback, upmixing, etc.
- SACD decoding
- binary addons
- named booksmarks for chapters in non-MKV containers (think concerts and set lists)
- addon repos arranged by XBMC version compatibility

RE: What feature would you like to see in the next xbmc version? - robweber - 2012-03-26

While it doesn't hurt to speculate over "dream additions" to XBMC, there are several great features already in the roadmap for the next release that look really good.

http://trac.xbmc.org/roadmap

RE: What feature would you like to see in the next xbmc version? - Tight_wad - 2012-03-26

Here is what I would like to see happen in the next few months.

1) All the skins seem to like to display the ratings and votes, so lets have the ability to refresh any/all movies without effecting the order of the the database (doesn't change the recently added movies).
2) Make the Movie Sets Addon part of XBMC.
3) Get rid of the outdated way using the actors, and make Metadata Actors part of XBMC.
4) Anything that will improve the speed of shared database and shared thumbs

RE: What feature would you like to see in the next xbmc version? - karandras24 - 2012-03-26

This is one thing i'd love to see in XBMC.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=99236&highlight=season.nfo

RE: What feature would you like to see in the next xbmc version? - jmarshall - 2012-03-27

I'd just like to note that take anything you see in the trac roadmap with a grain of salt. Not many folk on the team bother with it, so it may be wildly inaccurate (or wildly accurate) depending on who last went there Smile

XBMC developers typically work on what they feel like it. Obviously we care about what the community wants, and that tends to shape our ideas as to what to work on, but we're also aware that folk that come to the forums are a small, likely unrepresentative, sample of our userbase, so we have to be careful that we don't spend too much time on things that forum users demand, yet may not be used at all by other users.

RE: What feature would you like to see in the next xbmc version? - Thracx - 2012-03-27

(2012-03-26, 20:18)ghostelement Wrote: XBMC Server integration built in. All media, art, metadata, and settings are stored on a central server. Your client XBMC boxes will all show the same information no matter what because they are all accessing it from the same central point. Things like themes or playlists can be changed on the client boxes, but everything is pretty much synced. When you install an addon on one computer, it will install it on all of the clients. It will ask you if you want to enable that addon for all clients, or just this one you're currently on.
(2012-03-26, 20:34)DDDamian Wrote: - addon repos arranged by XBMC version compatibility
(2012-03-26, 21:14)Tight_wad Wrote: 4) Anything that will improve the speed of shared database and shared thumbs
I'll +1 the above requests, and add these:
  1. While I'd certainly prefer a distributed approach to ghostelement's request, anything that helps mutli-XBMC-per-LAN configurations would be my most desirable feature request.
  2. Allow add-ons to integrate into the library. For example, I would love to develop various AddOns that integrate external web VODs/etc into the normal TV Shows interface, but this is not allowed. As a simple example, the Day[9] Daily plug-in worked well, but since it can't be accessed in the 'TV Shows' interface (which could also keep track of which episodes have been watched), I found it much easier to not use the plugin and just watch/track the show outside of XBMC. This is becoming more and more common as shows become available online, and maybe of the Video plugins express this need.
  3. Performance boasts come next, although in the 10 minutes I've used XBMCv11, I have been impressed on this front already.
Any of my other ideas would have to involve me learning and improving the SQL database directly so I won't post them here.

RE: What feature would you like to see in the next xbmc version? - bossanova808 - 2012-03-27

Abstraction from specific file names/paths - moving to using the logical entity instead.

So Donnie Darko (2005) or Mad Men S05E02 - but not tied to the actual path/file so that if you change serving methods, move files etc, it can just re-jog the reference to where the file is, without having to re-do/scan all the metadata/watched statusses etc. This means you could, for instance, fairly easily try NFS vs SMB vs FTP etc etc. on different platforms and avoid the fairly significant perfomance penalty that seems to come with path substitution...

RE: What feature would you like to see in the next xbmc version? - jmarshall - 2012-03-27

The problem with that one is you have to know where the file is. The trick is to use a hash of the file to detect dupes on scan (in case user scans new location) and if the file isn't there, check whether it might have moved (eg is the source gone as well?) and ask the user to correct things. The latter is something that wouldn't take too much to do right away - an ideal project for someone wishing to get their feet wet. The second would require some changes in the db which would be slightly more work.