Kodi Community Forum
A6-PACK ☆ ISK 300-90 picoPSU HTPC A6-3500 Very Silent! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: A6-PACK ☆ ISK 300-90 picoPSU HTPC A6-3500 Very Silent! (/showthread.php?tid=128009)

RE: A6-PACK ~ ISK 300-90 picoPSU HTPC A6-3500 Very Silent! - truthlesshero - 2012-10-13

since we are on the topic of quiet htpc's...

heatsinks
we talk about the fm1 in this a6-pack..
well, doesn't the big shuriken a) take a lot of space and b) is kind of hard to install

does the shuriken rev b (not big) not a clip on/clip off solution (as in, take the stock heatsink/fan out, and clip that one, with the appropriate thermal paste that comes with it) and much smaller so it can fit other cases along allowing more than one stick of ram to be installed?

just curious...as i'm interested in replacing my heatsink, along with trying to go picopsu for my build... (must be quiet...)

RE: A6-PACK ~ ISK 300-90 picoPSU HTPC A6-3500 Very Silent! - bluray - 2012-10-13

(2012-10-13, 01:13)truthlesshero Wrote: we talk about the fm1 in this a6-pack..
well, doesn't the big shuriken a) take a lot of space and b) is kind of hard to install
Big Shuriken is too big for 300-65 case....that is why some plates have to be removed/cutoff....as far as mounting a Shuriken CPU cooler on a CPU, it is no different than mounting the stock CPU cooler...

RE: A6-PACK ~ ISK 300-90 picoPSU HTPC A6-3500 Very Silent! - truthlesshero - 2012-10-13

alright...which confirmsthat shuriken rev b should be a snatch to install..plus quieter

the reason i mention is because "big" and some others are not the standard size of stock coolers..so it wouldn't be as easy as just "clipping" the cooler/heatsink like it is with the stock one, you know?

i just wanted confirmation that if you someone wanted shuriken rev b (or others) that they could just do a clip on/off job like you do with the stock cooler...

RE: A6-PACK ~ ISK 300-90 picoPSU HTPC A6-3500 Very Silent! - bluray - 2012-10-13

Check out this video- Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Low Profile CPU Cooler Installation.....

(2012-10-12, 19:27)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2012-10-12, 18:31)bluray Wrote: Oh, do you have one for Micro ATX?

Unfortunately for this, the search continues...
If you can find a slim Micro ATX case for a very good deal, let me know.....

I like the style below and it don't have to be fanless case....I thought that it might look good on the very low LED HDTV stand....

RE: A6-PACK ~ ISK 300-90 picoPSU HTPC A6-3500 Very Silent! - Beer40oz - 2012-10-13

(2012-10-13, 01:13)truthlesshero Wrote: since we are on the topic of quiet htpc's...

heatsinks
we talk about the fm1 in this a6-pack..

does the shuriken rev b (not big) not a clip on/clip off solution (as in, take the stock heatsink/fan out, and clip that one, with the appropriate thermal paste that comes with it) and much smaller so it can fit other cases along allowing more than one stick of ram to be installed?

just curious...as i'm interested in replacing my heatsink, along with trying to go picopsu for my build... (must be quiet...)

Hi it is super easy to install the shuriken....

There are two versions that we have tested. The big 120MM Rev. 2B you just have to cut a little on the ODD bracket to make it fit... and that is if you are going to use the bracket if not you can just remove the bracket and forget about cutting. This is the cooler I use and to install this one you have to have the motherboard off because the bracket gets installed on the bottom of the mobo.

There is another Shuriken that fits with out cutting the bracket it is the 100MM version. It does the job too. This one clips on the sides like the OEM cooler so it is a little easier to install.

On both coolers thermal paste comes applied and it's good paste.

Install RAM first since you have to take off the cooler if you did not do that first especially with the 120MM

They are low profile and yes they look big but fit many cases.

BTW! Happy 100 page..... Tongue

RE: A6-PACK ~ ISK 300-90 picoPSU HTPC A6-3500 Very Silent! - eskro - 2012-10-13

yeah man!!! 100 page!!

RE: A6-PACK ~ ISK 300-90 picoPSU HTPC A6-3500 Very Silent! - Jetster - 2012-10-13

wow...I just noticed this. Where have I been? Nice video work

RE: A6-PACK ~ ISK 300-90 picoPSU HTPC A6-3500 Very Silent! - eskro - 2012-10-13

Beer40's A6-PACK is the most successful / handsome HTPC on the market!!

RE: A6-PACK ~ ISK 300-90 picoPSU HTPC A6-3500 Very Silent! - g8m3r - 2012-10-13

I have been enjoying the wonders of the A6-PACK for the last few months and impressing both friends and family - thanks Beer40oz!!! This was my first experience with XBMC (previously a PCH user) and I have been a very happy camper.

I started throwing some games at it recently. While some games work quite well, like NBA2k13 - I just installed Dishonored and its been a bit choppy. I realize this build is primarily designed for media purposes (which it handles flawlessly!), is there anything I can do to beef it up a bit for gaming? More ram perhaps?

RE: A6-PACK ~ ISK 300-90 picoPSU HTPC A6-3500 Very Silent! - Khaelas - 2012-10-13

Hi all,

I've been away for a bit and have come back to see this, looks pretty amazing.

On watching the video, it boots into windows, then straight into XBMC.
Have you just simply told it to start XBMc on startup, and that's the only thing?
If so, would using XBMClive be a better option?
It'd start up even quicker right?

Anyone tried buying this lot in the UK?
Wondering the cheapest way to go about getting all the parts. (I wish newegg would deliver to the UK Sad

RE: A6-PACK ~ ISK 300-90 picoPSU HTPC A6-3500 Very Silent! - GortWillSaveUs - 2012-10-13

(2012-10-13, 21:02)Khaelas Wrote: On watching the video, it boots into windows, then straight into XBMC.
Have you just simply told it to start XBMc on startup, and that's the only thing?

Personally,..I like the option of dumping into Windows.
Startup time is instant for me.
I always put the computer into Sleep mode.

(2012-10-13, 20:47)g8m3r Wrote: I started throwing some games at it recently. While some games work quite well, like NBA2k13 - I just installed Dishonored and its been a bit choppy. I realize this build is primarily designed for media purposes (which it handles flawlessly!), is there anything I can do to beef it up a bit for gaming? More ram perhaps?
Unfortunately, you might have to install a discrete GPU. "AMD HD 6670" seem to do okay with Dishonored......this video proved it "Dishonored HD 6670 Gameplay"......if you have a mini-itx case, it'll be hard to fit anything more powerful than the HD6670.....

RE: A6-PACK ~ ISK 300-90 picoPSU HTPC A6-3500 Very Silent! - g8m3r - 2012-10-14

Thanks bluray. Will this card fit easily into Antec ISK 300-65?

RE: A6-PACK ~ ISK 300-90 picoPSU HTPC A6-3500 Very Silent! - Beer40oz - 2012-10-14

(2012-10-13, 11:59)Jetster Wrote: wow...I just noticed this. Where have I been? Nice video work

Thanx!

(2012-10-13, 19:41)eskro Wrote: Beer40's A6-PACK is the most successful / handsome HTPC on the market!!

You are just saying that... I heard a little bird tell me you are about to do the A6-PACK Rev. 2

(2012-10-13, 20:47)g8m3r Wrote: I have been enjoying the wonders of the A6-PACK for the last few months and impressing both friends and family - thanks Beer40oz!!! This was my first experience with XBMC (previously a PCH user) and I have been a very happy camper.

I started throwing some games at it recently. While some games work quite well, like NBA2k13 - I just installed Dishonored and its been a bit choppy. I realize this build is primarily designed for media purposes (which it handles flawlessly!), is there anything I can do to beef it up a bit for gaming? More ram perhaps?

Some games it can not play unless you bring down the game to some low settings... like lower the screen size and such. You could also try to do dual graphics as the APU's are able to do. It will give it some performance. You could get a HD 6450, 6570 or a 6670 and dual it...

Make sure it will fit the case. Go on and read reviews and such. There are better GPU's out there that work better by themselves but it will be hard to fit them into the antec case.

Like this XFX 6770 my brother just got it to play some games and he loves it. There is many vids on youtube on this particular card.

(2012-10-13, 21:02)Khaelas Wrote: Hi all,

I've been away for a bit and have come back to see this, looks pretty amazing.

On watching the video, it boots into windows, then straight into XBMC.
It'd start up even quicker right?

Anyone tried buying this lot in the UK?
Wondering the cheapest way to go about getting all the parts. (I wish newegg would deliver to the UK Sad

Hi and welcome back... yes XBMC is on my start up folder.... I love windows 7 and xbmc.