Kodi Community Forum
Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support (/showthread.php?tid=129134)

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - onlinespending - 2016-01-04

(2015-12-29, 23:40)onlinespending Wrote: I added D:\Movies as the only folder prior to scrapping for the first time. I imagine MC is pulling a directory list, and a bug somehow made it move to the next folder that was alphabetically after my root folder (Photos was directly after Movies on the D: partition).

I wanted to correct myself. Photos would have been 2 folders away from Movies. I did have Music folder in between the two alphabetically. Besides that first time I ran MC where it moved the Movies folder into Photos, everything has been rock solid.

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - angusc - 2016-01-05

Hello and happy New year to you all.
I have what may seem a simple question but it's driving me nuts!
I have been using MC to rename and scrap all the movies that I get and each movie is in its own folder. It results in the usual artwork and a sub folder called ".actors".

Then I use Kodi for my media presentation on the TV. Kodi is set up to scan the "movies" folder on start up for new content.

When I added the movies folder in Kodi, I selected "this directory contains"........ (Movies) and I use the "Universal Movie Scraper" that I added in Kodi. For the contents scanning options, I only have the option "Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title" selected, all other options are not highlighted.

My library artwork view in Kodi often repeats the same movies 2 or 3 times. I checked the movies folder and it only contains each movie once and inside the folders there is only one list of posters and arterial etc.....

What is the optimum way to use MC and Kodi to avoid duplicates of movie information?

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - vbat99 - 2016-01-05

Not sure why Kodi is listing Duplicate movies, but If you have used Media Companion to scrape all the data and artwork, you should select
Local Information Only as the scraper.
While I have movies in separate folder, I leave all options at their default and this works perfectly.
There is no need to select Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title as you have already scraped the movies in Media Companion.

I would suggest the following.
Got to Files, select the root movie folder, and change the content to None.
When asked to clean out the library, select No.
Now, change the content type back to Movies and select Local Information Only as the Scraper.
When ask by Kodi if you want to scan the source, select Yes.
Afterwards, go to System->Video->Library, and select Clean Library.
If you do not see the Clean Library option, you will need to change the Settings Level to Advanced or Expert (your choice)

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - aniziusz - 2016-01-08

(2016-01-04, 01:35)vbat99 Wrote: I assume so, as adobe have identified the issue is between flash update and ie and activeX . It's just after wait for Microsoft to release the fixed update...

Dear community,

I just want happily reporting to you, for Win10 is the modified Flash update (KB3133431) working now very well with "Change Movie" tab in MC.

Regards,
aniziusz

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - vbat99 - 2016-01-08

Yes, I can confirm.
Windows 10 Flash player update (KB3132372) from 28th December 2015, caused not responding in Media Companion web browser tabs.

Latest Windows 10 Flash update (KB3133431) has fixed the Windows 10 problem and Media Companion is again fully functions.

Apologies for all users who had this issue, but it was out of our hands.

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - tars - 2016-01-15

A few suggestions:

1. Add a sorting option to "Configure Movie Filters" window that switches to sort filtering items alphabetically rather than sort by the number of movies as of now. Then enabling that option would allow the user to locate an actor or director easily and quickly without having to know the exact number of movies they're credited with in the collection.

2. I know Kodi uses "Credits" tag for writers, so NFO files have no other choice. But MC could use "Writers" instead of that ambiguous and misleading word on the main viewer panel. Also consider adding "Writers" filter to left navigation panel.

3. I'm not a big fan of the current slider-style selector for Rating, Votes, Runtime, Folder Size, Year filters because it's not easy to set a precise value by moving the mouse. Rather, typing like "7.4-8.2", "1927-1935,1969,1979-1985" would work much better. Also there's no way to filter to a specific combination of source folders (currently this requires to adjust movie folders setting and refresh).

4. Finally, my biggest wish is being able to use a table style (the current Table tab) in navigation panel with user-selected multiple columns. And allow to select any columns, height and width for instance, not just some pre-selected columns like the current table tab. Regarding this, you once said:

(2015-12-09, 19:26)vbat99 Wrote:
(2015-12-09, 12:10)tars Wrote: 3. I really like the change with IMDB/TMDB tab. Now, how about making those sites open only over the right panel with the movie list on the left still available? The benefits would be the user could easily check out other movies in the list from those sites without having to go back to main browser tab every time for choosing another movie. Also it would make MC on the tab look different from a browser (I'm always confused).
This new layout could be applied to other tabs as well such as File Details tab and Change Movie tab.
Not liking that Idea.
One of the great things about Media Companion is keeping functions separate and distinct.

But I disagree. Key functions being separate and distinct is the biggest limitation of MC. Every function should be available from the main browser, not somewhere else, because that's where all information is available and where all kinds of commands can be utilized and where the user wants to stay for those reasons. For instance, you can't use "Rescrape a specific field" command for the selected movies from the current table tab. So my wish I quoted above still stands as well.

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - vbat99 - 2016-01-15

(2016-01-15, 10:38)tars Wrote: A few suggestions:

1. Add a sorting option to "Configure Movie Filters" window that switches to sort filtering items alphabetically rather than sort by the number of movies as of now. Then enabling that option would allow the user to locate an actor or director easily and quickly without having to know the exact number of movies they're credited with in the collection.

Movie Preferences -> General tab already allows users to change from number of movies, to A-Z sorting.

(2016-01-15, 10:38)tars Wrote: 2. I know Kodi uses "Credits" tag for writers, so NFO files have no other choice. But MC could use "Writers" instead of that ambiguous and misleading word on the main viewer panel. Also consider adding "Writers" filter to left navigation panel.

It is possible to add a filter for Credits, but I see no need to change this to Writers, as the heading Credits covers not only the Writer but also the screenplay writer, editing, etc to which these persons are a Credited, ergo the reason for the field being named Credits.

(2016-01-15, 10:38)tars Wrote: 3. I'm not a big fan of the current slider-style selector for Rating, Votes, Runtime, Folder Size, Year filters because it's not easy to set a precise value by moving the mouse. Rather, typing like "7.4-8.2", "1927-1935,1969,1979-1985" would work much better. Also there's no way to filter to a specific combination of source folders (currently this requires to adjust movie folders setting and refresh).

I can't say for the slider, as I do not use this, nor was I the programmer who added it. If @AnotherPhil wishes to incorporate your idea, it'll be up to him. Though the rough gauging of Rating, or Year selection is pretty good from when I played with it. These filters are only to narrow down the list of matching movies between the minimum and maximum values.

What your specifically asking for is an advanced filter searching option, kind of like selecting page numbers, from 2 through to 16, and 18, and 20, and from 24 to 29.
This feels more like a user is using MC as their Media Center software, more than using Kodi.

(2016-01-15, 10:38)tars Wrote: 4. Finally, my biggest wish is being able to use a table style (the current Table tab) in navigation panel with user-selected multiple columns. And allow to select any columns, height and width for instance, not just some pre-selected columns like the current table tab. Regarding this, you once said:

(2015-12-09, 19:26)vbat99 Wrote:
(2015-12-09, 12:10)tars Wrote: 3. I really like the change with IMDB/TMDB tab. Now, how about making those sites open only over the right panel with the movie list on the left still available? The benefits would be the user could easily check out other movies in the list from those sites without having to go back to main browser tab every time for choosing another movie. Also it would make MC on the tab look different from a browser (I'm always confused).
This new layout could be applied to other tabs as well such as File Details tab and Change Movie tab.
Not liking that Idea.
One of the great things about Media Companion is keeping functions separate and distinct.

But I disagree. Key functions being separate and distinct is the biggest limitation of MC. Every function should be available from the main browser, not somewhere else, because that's where all information is available and where all kinds of commands can be utilized and where the user wants to stay for those reasons. For instance, you can't use "Rescrape a specific field" command for the selected movies from the current table tab. So my wish I quoted above still stands as well.

Sorry, No 4 won't happen.

The Movie Browser tab, is for just this reason. Browsing of scraped Movies. Looking at the scraped data, artwork etc. If there is anything missing, using the general filter, these can be quickly rescraped.
If many movies need fixing, the Batch Rescrape wizard is available from the main menu bar.

Some options for rescraping fields, artwork etc have been overlayed by the addition of right-click context menus.
If a user right-clicks on the Stars heading (note, first time only need to r-click twice), users can rescrape the selected field from the browser tab.

For all functions available on the browser tab, see the Media Companion Wiki-docs page https://mediacompanion.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=MovBrowser&referringTitle=Movies

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - vbat99 - 2016-01-15

Thinking about this, your asking for tab pages within the right panel for:
1. Main movie data (like current),
2. Fanart
3. Poster
4. Fanart.Tv (this one could be a problem due to how it is coded)
5. File Details
6. IMDB/TMDB browser
This might be possible, but it would make it look really tight.

As for a Table View overlay on the Main Browser tab, No.

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - tars - 2016-01-16

1. Thanks, I didn't know the setting already exists. But for some reason it doesn't work. First, the setting won't stick if switched to "A-Z asc" order. Second, if I manually change config.xml values (from 0 to 1), those filters only show actors starting with A and directors starting A thru K. What's going on?

2. As far as I understand, the current Kodi field "Credits" is a shorthand term for "Writing credits", and "Writers" in movie industry generally includes screenplay writers as well as original novelist, etc. The problem is that not only writers but other crew and cast members too get "credited" with the work (like "opening/ending credits"). I think that's why most movie databases including IMDB & TMDB use "Writers" instead of "Credits". But if you don't want to change the term, I won't insist.

3. Then how about a new filter where source folders could be selected?

4. Maybe I should make myself clearer about the old wish. Current tabs can just stay but with this layout for some tabs: http://i.imgur.com/zepMpHD.png (Mockup for "Change Movie" tab)

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - vbat99 - 2016-01-16

(2016-01-16, 01:13)tars Wrote: 1. Thanks, I didn't know the setting already exists. But for some reason it doesn't work. First, the setting won't stick if switched to "A-Z asc" order. Second, if I manually change config.xml values (from 0 to 1), those filters only show actors starting with A and directors starting A thru K. What's going on?
Believe that fix is in place for the next release, either Monday or Tuesday of next week.

(2016-01-16, 01:13)tars Wrote: 2. As far as I understand, the current Kodi field "Credits" is a shorthand term for "Writing credits", and "Writers" in movie industry generally includes screenplay writers as well as original novelist, etc. The problem is that not only writers but other crew and cast members too get "credited" with the work (like "opening/ending credits"). I think that's why most movie databases including IMDB & TMDB use "Writers" instead of "Credits". But if you don't want to change the term, I won't insist.
I'll think on it.

(2016-01-16, 01:13)tars Wrote: 3. Then how about a new filter where source folders could be selected?
So a filter that lists all root folder, and selecting displays only movies in selected root folder....Interesting. And I think it can be do-able.

(2016-01-16, 01:13)tars Wrote: 4. Maybe I should make myself clearer about the old wish. Current tabs can just stay but with this layout for some tabs: http://i.imgur.com/zepMpHD.png (Mockup for "Change Movie" tab)
Ok, so not quite what I thought, but as to the layout of your mock-up, not possible. The movie browser list is lock to the Main Browser tab, and issues will arise if a user multi-selects movies, this this list was floating. Major re-write.

But, what about this.... http://imgur.com/zgRFL8j - very quick mock up.

(2016-01-16, 03:40)vbat99 Wrote: But, what about this.... http://imgur.com/zgRFL8j - very quick mock up.

Looking good. But only need IMDB, Change Movie and File Details tab. Tabs for managing images should utilize the entire window as of current.

(2016-01-16, 03:40)vbat99 Wrote: The movie browser list is lock to the Main Browser tab, and issues will arise if a user multi-selects movies, this this list was floating. Major re-write.

Would multi-selection be the only issue? If so, it doesn't matter even currently because those tabs work only for the first movie even when multiple movies are selected.

RE: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - vbat99 - 2016-01-16

I have to think hard about this, as adding another set of tabs takes a lot of real estate up.

Time to have a long think on how best to approach this.

No problem. Take your time.

BTW if you don't want to implement multi-column support for navigation panel, can you add more fields to the sort option such as movie sets, resolution, certificates, countries, etc.? I know filters support those fields, but often sorting entire movies and browsing is more convenient than keep filtering to each subset.

Added sort by Resolution and by Certificate.

Movie Sets is taking some time to get right.

As for Countries, sorry, this one isn't possible, as we store multiple countries in the same Data Cell. ie: US, UK in one cell.