Kodi Community Forum
Launch XBMC with iPhone app? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: Launch XBMC with iPhone app? (/showthread.php?tid=129460)

Pages: 1 2 3

Launch XBMC with iPhone app? - Chris230291 - 2012-04-20

Hello. There must be a solution for us to have XBMC launch with the iPhone app? Personally i think this is MUCH more important than anything i have noticed in the "eden" update.

I dont understand why upon launch, the app cant start XBMC? Then maybe add an option for it to quite on exit?

Can anyone explain this?

Thanks

RE: Launch XBMC with iPhone app? - jopie - 2012-04-21

Which app did you have in mind? I don't know if this is of any use to you, but for what it is worth, I use Rowmote to control my Mac Mini and noticed that starting the app wakes XBMC from sleep when it hasn't been exitted. (If it has exitted my Harmony starts it again when I press the "Sleep" button.

RE: Launch XBMC with iPhone app? - Japaja - 2012-04-21

HippoRemote can launch xbmc or any other program. It can also turn on your computer and it works with both mac and pc. I don't think it has anything to do with "eden" upgrade as you put it or xbmc.

RE: Launch XBMC with iPhone app? - Chris230291 - 2012-04-21

Hmm i dont understand how i can make any app launch the XBMC app on my computer? I want it to behave like it was a DVD player or something. For example, i hit a power button which launches the XBMC app on my computer. Alternatively i would be equally happy with XBMC launching when my computer detects my secondary monitor (TV).

I think the solutions you mentioned are only good for dedicated XBMC machines? I hope not.

RE: Launch XBMC with iPhone app? - jopie - 2012-04-21

Chris what do you mean by dedicated machines? You posted your question in the Mac OSX forum so I assume you have a Mac on which you run XBMC?

RE: Launch XBMC with iPhone app? - Chris230291 - 2012-04-22

Yes that right. But i dont want to have to manually open XBMC each time i want to watch something. Is there anyway i can have it start remotely?

By dedicated i mean it's just for XBMC.

Thanks,
Chris

RE: Launch XBMC with iPhone app? - solidsatras - 2012-04-22

I donĀ“t know about OSX/iOS but with Windows/Droid it is quite easy:
Xbmc Starter
Yatse Widget (Free)

Maybe someone can adapt this approach to the MacWorld

Hmm that looks like a tacky solution but at least you have something. Why cant we have this?

All i want is a facelift to the iPhone app (looks tacky), and a power button added to the app (or auto powers on XBMC upon launch). Then just have a small plugin for OSX that waits for a signal to launch it. I dont want any tacky icons like on widows, just keep it hidden in the background.

If someone could point me to the xcode project files, i can have a play with the app and try to add/change it.

Perhaps someone knows who developed the app? I doubt the dev would want to share their work, but it's worth a shot. I can definitely give the app a facelift, and im almost sure i could add the power on feature with some help from people i know. I don't plan on uploading the work after unless the dev is OK with that. I will even let the dev have my modded app if he/she chooses to make it the latest version for everyone.

Thanks

RE: Launch XBMC with iPhone app? - deanmv - 2012-04-23

What was wrong with the Hippo Remote function that Japaja mentioned. Or any form of Remote Access app that you can boot programs from? e.g all of these http://mashable.com/2010/02/28/iphone-remote-control-apps/ (apart from number 4.)

RE: Launch XBMC with iPhone app? - Chris230291 - 2012-04-23

Then there may aswel be no remote at all. I can just "screen share" on my macbook and control it that way.

This isn't a lot to ask at all, and should have been done instead of, or before 90% of the features in XBMC in my opinion.

RE: Launch XBMC with iPhone app? - deanmv - 2012-04-23

You keep saying "the iPhone app" but what iPhone app do you mean? XBMC on iOS? That isn't a remote, it's the full blown version of XBMC.

RE: Launch XBMC with iPhone app? - solidsatras - 2012-04-24

(2012-04-23, 15:14)Chris230291 Wrote: Then there may aswel be no remote at all. I can just "screen share" on my macbook and control it that way.

This isn't a lot to ask at all, and should have been done instead of, or before 90% of the features in XBMC in my opinion.
You should ask for your money back...oh wait.

You want it. You code it.

RE: Launch XBMC with iPhone app? - Chris230291 - 2012-04-24

Sorry, i mean the XBMC remote app. I think that's the "official" one, if any are?

It's dumb how i have to go and start XBMC for the remote app to be of any use. The remote app should be able to start XBMC on my computer. Like i said already, i can just screenshare on my laptop. But im after a more professional feel to the user experience. I want it to behave like a DVD player or similar does.

I feel this is the equivalent of having to go over to your DVD player and press several buttons on it before the remote can do anything.

I hope i make sense?

Chris

RE: Launch XBMC with iPhone app? - deanmv - 2012-04-24

Ahh got ya! Hadn't seen that app before.

The "problem" here is that XBMC is an app that runs on OS X so your iPhone app can either talk to OS X, or talk to XBMC. Using a comparison to something like a dvd player is completely different, the dvd player only does one thing and only runs one piece of software so everything is made for that. It is XBMC that broadcasts it's remote availability so you would have to use something like a screen share or VNC client as you need to contact OS X first.

I don't think there is anything available at the moment but you could contact the creator of that app or code it yourself?