Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-09-11

(2012-09-11, 13:39)Rhothgar Wrote: Hi Rob

Nice work there.

If I install from zip will this automatically update to 0.1.4?

Also, if I do that, presumably it would then knock it out of the XBMC Auto-Updates as this is not yet in official repo. Sorry if that is a stupid question. I'm new to this amd still finding my feet.

One more thing. I have tried in the past, unsuccessfully to save backups using folder names like Base_Installation, Sports, etc.. But it will only write if it is set to XBMC_Backup folder and will not save to other folders outside of this folder. If I place my Base_Installation folder within XBMC_Backup folder, will that work or does it only save with dates.

As I am experimenting at the moment, I don't mind using dates but will it overwrite backup on the same date or will it create 20120911 for 1st backup and 20120911(1) for 2nd backup?

Thansk again. Great work. I wish I had your abilities. A lot of people would feel the same.

I'll attempt to answer your questions the best I can. If you install from the zip file it should update any installed version to the one in the zip. This should not break your auto updates from the repo, as the updater should check your version against what is in the repo and update when a new one is available. When I push to the repo I generally increment the version above what the zip has so you'll get the most current again.

The addon will only save to a specific path, creating a folder within that path with the current date. IE you can set a path of smb://MachineName/backups/xbmc/ and then each time you run you'll get a dated folder containing the files copied. I guess I don't understand the need for folder names like BaseInstall, Sports, etc. The backup should include all of your database and config information for the entire XBMC instance. I could see backing up several xbmc installs, but in that case create a folder for each at the target, such as smb://MachineName/backups/living_room and smb://MachineName/backups/bedroom, etc.

The backup assumes you need one good backup per day of your xbmc installation. So it will create one folder with the current date when it runs. If the folder already exists you'll just overwrite any information that is in there.

Glad you like the addon and find it useful. If you can explain a little more your situation regarding the folder names there may be something that can be added in the future to the addon.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Rhothgar - 2012-09-12

Thanks for the quick response.

Basically, I am thinking along the lines of:-

Base_Installation - something for my own use if I have a crash
Sports/Adult/Whatever - I can see me setting up Apple TV's for friends and family and it would be quicker to have like an incremental backup with relevant content so I can setup ATV's specifically for friends and family.

Family ain't gonna want Adult content but mates are gonna want sport yet I am not into Sports Channels myself hence Base Installation and perhaps another folder with my Apple TV backups in which can be scheduled.

I must say that schedule facility is tasty! Great work there.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-09-12

Ok, I think I see what you are going for here. This would be my suggestion based on your needs. Create a different folder within your "backups" directory for each of these different types of xbmc installs, and have a dated incremental backup within them. Since the restore process will only copy what exists, you could do a little manual effort to ensure a restore operation only copies what is needed, for example:

Code:
#contains addons and config for base install
smb://machine/backups/base_install/

#contains sports addons only
smb://machine/backups/sports

#contains adult addons only
smb://machine/backups/adult

What you could then do when creating a system is to first point the restore folder to the base_install directory and do a restore from an incremental backup in there. Once the base is restored you could change the restore folder to sports, adult, or whatever and then restore just the addons or other config information from that folder to combine it with the base install. A little extra work, but since you want to separate out different installs for different types of systems it would be a logical way to segment everything and then leverage the restore functionality to move it into the correct place from your backups.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Rhothgar - 2012-09-15

Thanks for that.

Great idea which I think I will implement. Thanks.

As for the code, would I put this in an xml file? And if so, which one please?

I was wondering also if there is any guidance on which settings the various buttons save:-

add-ons is obvious.
add-on data is relatively obvious.
but which config data is recovered. Presumably this ties to a directory in XBMC.
details of database, thumbnails and fanart directories or rough location would be useful to know.

Quick suggestion for your consideration and inclusion into next release:-

How about having it so that when you click on the add-on, a menu comes up which confirms current selected action and require a Yes or No response. I say this because, in haste, I have simply clicked without checking Add-on Settings first and then realised that I have started to overwrite existing an existing backup.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - muppet1986 - 2012-09-16

heey gus
i have a wierd problem whit the backup/restore addon

i can backup no problem...

but i can't restore it simply says: error : remote path doesn't exists

is there some one that could help me please?

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-09-16

@Rhothgar - you shouldn't need to modify the xml file. Just backup the different addons to separate backup paths. As far as the options go. The 'config files' are all of the xml files that are created as part of your XBMC configuration. Mostly this includes your sources.xml file and guisettings.xml file. There are others but these are the main ones. The database setting is all the database files contained under the Datebase folder of your userdata directory. The thumbnails and fanart are everything under userdata/Thumbnails. I'm using the special:// protocol to find the userdata directory. It is special://home - more details on where this folder is for your system can be found on http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Special_protocol

@muppet1986 - When you switch from backup to restore in the settings, you also need to specify the backup you want to restore from. This is the dated folder name of one of you backups within the backup destination you've specified. As an example if you specify smb://machine/backups as you backup directory, you'll want to specify the specific backup you want to restore from like smb://machine/backups/20120916

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - muppet1986 - 2012-09-17

(2012-09-16, 23:52)robweber Wrote: @Rhothgar - you shouldn't need to modify the xml file. Just backup the different addons to separate backup paths. As far as the options go. The 'config files' are all of the xml files that are created as part of your XBMC configuration. Mostly this includes your sources.xml file and guisettings.xml file. There are others but these are the main ones. The database setting is all the database files contained under the Datebase folder of your userdata directory. The thumbnails and fanart are everything under userdata/Thumbnails. I'm using the special:// protocol to find the userdata directory. It is special://home - more details on where this folder is for your system can be found on http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Special_protocol

@muppet1986 - When you switch from backup to restore in the settings, you also need to specify the backup you want to restore from. This is the dated folder name of one of you backups within the backup destination you've specified. As an example if you specify smb://machine/backups as you backup directory, you'll want to specify the specific backup you want to restore from like smb://machine/backups/20120916

thnx rob weber

it worked but i tried that yesterday also but didn't work .....

and not all settings are restored.. i have to manuly switch to my skin and settings..

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-09-17

glad it worked. the guisettings.xml file that stores the current skin (and other gui information) is a tricky one to restore. XBMC reads/writes to this file a lot and periodically there may be issues trying to overwrite it from a backup. if wanted you can always manual copy from your backup location. In testing I can usually get the guisettings file to restore about 90% of the time.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - fuffa - 2012-09-19

I have the same problem of muppet1986!
I try to restore but when I select the folder with date there was a "remote path doesn't exists" error...
In which way can I restore manually? Where are the folder to overwrite from backup?
Thanks

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-09-19

(2012-09-19, 15:24)fuffa Wrote: I have the same problem of muppet1986!
I try to restore but when I select the folder with date there was a "remote path doesn't exists" error...
In which way can I restore manually? Where are the folder to overwrite from backup?
Thanks

When you select "restore" an additional setting becomes visible. This is where you input the folder name (date basically) of the backup you'd like to restore from. Do not browse to the folder with the path selection browser - this is incorrect. Once you set the path to your backups folder you should never have to change it if you are doing a backup or restore.

What is happening is that the addon is putting the path and folder name together when you are trying to do the restore, if you browse for the folder you get a path does not exist message. If your backup path is smb://machine/backups all you have to do is enter the date of the backup when you select restore and it will create a path of smb://machine/backups/YYYYMMDD when you run the addon. Please check the logs and see what path it is trying to find to figure out what you are doing wrong.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - boppyman - 2012-09-19

Pretty stupid question but where do i go to create a backup?

I've configured it all, i just cant find any options to create the backup

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Rhothgar - 2012-09-21

If you are on ATV2, simply go into Program Add-ons, select XBMC Backup without pressing enter and hold Menu button down for 3 seconds to bring up context menu then go to Add-on settings.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-09-21

(2012-09-19, 19:25)boppyman Wrote: Pretty stupid question but where do i go to create a backup?

I've configured it all, i just cant find any options to create the backup

Do what Rhothgar said to configure the addon. If you've already setup everything all you have to do is highlight the addon under Programs and hit OK on your remote (or enter on the keyboard). Unless you have run silent turned on the progress bar will pop up at this point. For scheduled backups they will just run, with a small notification when they start.

xbmcbackup broken! - pmolson - 2012-09-25

Hello Guys, Can some coding Guru please help... I'm getting a script failed script.xbmcbackup error every time I launch XBMX Backup! I was a working a couple of days ago, then I've removed a bunch of other (I think non-related add-ons) and the problem started! I've uninstalled xbmcbackup and re-installed it again,..and that didn't help either!!! Thank You!

Here is the log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=9255

Thanks!

RE: xbmcbackup broken! - thrak76 - 2012-09-25

Please link the entire log, using xbmclogs.com or pastebin.com.