Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Tarkus_ - 2019-01-30

(2019-01-30, 19:06)Kragmeister Wrote: Unzipping the Backup ZIP and restoration worked like a charm on my Android tablet.  When I get home I'll try it on a Fire Stick that I upgraded to Leia.
That's exactly what I do.  As I stated earlier, I backup to ZIP and if I need to restore, I manually unzip my last backup.  It's a good idea to then delete the ZIP file, because otherwise it will look like two identical backups, with no obvious way to distinguish the folder from the ZIP file.

This is all done on my Fire TV Stick, with my backups on a networked drive.

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - daherlihy - 2019-01-31

(2019-01-30, 19:06)Kragmeister Wrote: Unzipping the Backup ZIP and restoration worked like a charm on my Android tablet.  When I get home I'll try it on a Fire Stick that I upgraded to Leia.
Did you backup to a compressed file, extract and then restore the contents?

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Kragmeister - 2019-01-31

(2019-01-31, 16:59)daherlihy Wrote: Did you backup to a compressed file, extract and then restore the contents? 
 Yes, backed up to ZIP using the Backup addon, then extracted the ZIP.  This created a folder with the same name as the ZIP with the data inside.  To restore I went into settings and selected the new folder as the Backup folder.  Restore then looked only in that folder for the data.  Restore worked perfectly.

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2019-02-04

For anyone with the zip file issues this appears to happen on Android systems only (unless someone can give me an example of a different one). I've been playing with this on a Windows computer for testing and restoring compressed backups is working on Kodi 18 there. I believe this to be Android specific at this point in time. 

There is an issue on Github for anyone wanting to follow: https://github.com/robweber/xbmcbackup/issues/145

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - NetworkGuy - 2019-02-16

I have a similar, but distinct, issue. I have a ShieldTV (Android) that auto-updated to Kodi 18 (Leia) a couple of weeks back. Since that time I noticed that my scheduled backups (scheduled for 2 am each day) have stopped running. If I'm in Kodi after a missed backup I see in the upper right corner where it says it's looking for files, but the number shows zero (0). I usually close Kodi (kill it really) and then it stops that display. I don't backup to ZIP file - rather I let it copy the file structure "as is". So I get a folder with the date/time (e.g. 201901290200 -- this was my last successful backup) and all files/folders within. I see that others are able to backup using the Backup Add-on, so it seems it should be working for me too, but it stopped working after the Kodi 18 update.

Any suggestions for my issue and what I can try to get it working again?

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - NetworkGuy - 2019-02-19

(2019-02-16, 10:30)NetworkGuy Wrote: I have a similar, but distinct, issue. I have a ShieldTV (Android) that auto-updated to Kodi 18 (Leia) a couple of weeks back. Since that time I noticed that my scheduled backups (scheduled for 2 am each day) have stopped running. If I'm in Kodi after a missed backup I see in the upper right corner where it says it's looking for files, but the number shows zero (0). I usually close Kodi (kill it really) and then it stops that display. I don't backup to ZIP file - rather I let it copy the file structure "as is". So I get a folder with the date/time (e.g. 201901290200 -- this was my last successful backup) and all files/folders within. I see that others are able to backup using the Backup Add-on, so it seems it should be working for me too, but it stopped working after the Kodi 18 update.

Any suggestions for my issue and what I can try to get it working again?
I decided to rollback to Kodi 17 (Krypton). Before uninstalling Kodi, I renamed my Kodi install folder (org.xbmc.kodi). I then uninstalled Kodi 18.0 (Leia). After uninstall I renamed the Kodi folder back to its original name (org.xbmc.kodi). Before installing Kodi again (older version was my intention), I checked and noticed that Kodi 18 had an update available (18.1). I decided to try that version first. After installing 18.1, my Kodi now seems to work much better. The Backup add-on is working again copying files to my network drive. Additionally subtitles are working again as well! Both of these features stopped working after the Kodi Leia install (update) in January. The only thing I noticed now is that Kodi no longer restarts where a show or movie has left off. It still says that we stopped somewhere in the middle, but when I select to start at the last stopped point, it starts from the beginning anyway. Now I just keep a note of the time it shows and manually forward to that location. So far, so good.

Question: is there no way to "edit" a posted question or answer? If that feature is available, how do you do it? I see no link to allow edits to my posted question or answer.

Thanks,
Dave

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - DarrenHill - 2019-02-19

Your account is too new (in your case not enough posts made) for that priviledge to be available.

It's a generic anti-spam measure as we have too many spambot users come in and post something innocuous and then later edit the post to drop their spam payload everywhere.

(2019-02-19, 10:34)DarrenHill Wrote: Your account is too new (in your case not enough posts made) for that priviledge to be available.

It's a generic anti-spam measure as we have too many spambot users come in and post something innocuous and then later edit the post to drop their spam payload everywhere.
I could not find it in my profile and didn't see any other reference. And I've been involved in other sites where editing wasn't allowed at all (unusual though). Thanks for the update -  makes sense, and I appreciate the information.

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - vurt - 2019-02-19

I just tried to restore from a backup but after the restore (progress bar indicates stuff is being restored), nothing happens. I don't see my libraries nor addons that I had previously.

I restored successfully on v17.6 before. I'm currently on v18.1.

Has this happened to anyone?

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - vietsoldier - 2019-02-21

I can't restore any backups now I'm on Kodi 18.1 either (i use an Android TV device). Based on brief testing the backup seems to work when a backup is created and restored to the same device, however when i use it to restore to another devices, effectively copying my setup to another device, i get a "backup error".

Please help!!!

Note: i uninstalled 18.1 and manually installed v17.6 Things are now working again. Looks like Backup v1.1.2 is not fully compatible with 18.1

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - jcsaba - 2019-03-11

Hi
I am a new member to this forum. I started a new post " How to get a Kodi 17.6 Krypton version suitable for Sony Bravia Smart Tv" where I received many useful answers ending up with the issue of backup. Then I found this thread may be a better place to discuss my problems. I have a smart Sony Bravia TV with Android 7.0.0. As with others in this Forum my Kodi 17.6 Krypton updated itself to 18.0/18.2 Leia, under which I cannot download some streaming channels properly, under Krypton there was no problem. So I decided to return to Krypton. With backup addon I made a backup of my settings under 18.2 Leia into an USB stick. The back-up folder named "H:\Android\data\org.xbmc.kodi\201903072234" is made up of two subfolders: "H:\Android\data\org.xbmc.kodi\201903072234\addons" and "H:\Android\data\org.xbmc.kodi\201903072234\userdata" and H:\Android\data\org.xbmc.kodi\201903072234\xbmcbackup.val" file.  I was informed that the back up should be a ZIP file!!?? Instead I have got unzipped folders and a .val file as mentioned. I deleted Kodi 18.2 Leia and reinstalled Krypton 17.6 and tried to restore settings from the back-up file previously made into an USB stick. While I clearly detected the back-up folder when it  was made under 18.2 Leia, Krypton 17.6 did not find it although I designated the path to the back-up folder in the USB stick. Is it the reason for the failure to restore settings that the backup is not a ZIP file? Or backup under 18.2 Leia is not compatible with krypton 17.6. On an Android TV how can I manually restore my former settings (i.e. replace the current userdata and addons folder with the backed-up ones)?
Thanks
Csaba

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - NetworkGuy - 2019-03-12

(2019-03-11, 22:53)jcsaba Wrote: Hi
I am a new member to this forum. I started a new post " How to get a Kodi 17.6 Krypton version suitable for Sony Bravia Smart Tv" where I received many useful answers ending up with the issue of backup. Then I found this thread may be a better place to discuss my problems. I have a smart Sony Bravia TV with Android 7.0.0. As with others in this Forum my Kodi 17.6 Krypton updated itself to 18.0/18.2 Leia, under which I cannot download some streaming channels properly, under Krypton there was no problem. So I decided to return to Krypton. With backup addon I made a backup of my settings under 18.2 Leia into an USB stick. The back-up folder named "H:\Android\data\org.xbmc.kodi\201903072234" is made up of two subfolders: "H:\Android\data\org.xbmc.kodi\201903072234\addons" and "H:\Android\data\org.xbmc.kodi\201903072234\userdata" and H:\Android\data\org.xbmc.kodi\201903072234\xbmcbackup.val" file.  I was informed that the back up should be a ZIP file!!?? Instead I have got unzipped folders and a .val file as mentioned. I deleted Kodi 18.2 Leia and reinstalled Krypton 17.6 and tried to restore settings from the back-up file previously made into an USB stick. While I clearly detected the back-up folder when it  was made under 18.2 Leia, Krypton 17.6 did not find it although I designated the path to the back-up folder in the USB stick. Is it the reason for the failure to restore settings that the backup is not a ZIP file? Or backup under 18.2 Leia is not compatible with krypton 17.6. On an Android TV how can I manually restore my former settings (i.e. replace the current userdata and addons folder with the backed-up ones)?
Thanks
Csaba
Backups can be either in ZIP or UNZIPPED format -- either are okay. For Android when changing versions, I rename the "org.xbmc.kodi" folder to something else (e.g. "org.xbmc.kodi_old"). I then uninstall Kodi. Once Kodi is uninstalled, I then rename the Kodi install folder back to "org.xbmc.kodi". Once this is done, I install Kodi again and I have not lost my settings doing this process.

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - jcsaba - 2019-03-12

Thanks for the answer.

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - NetworkGuy - 2019-03-12

It won't help with getting your backup settings restored when using the Backup add-on, but going forward, you can use it when rolling back (or forward) to a different Kodi version manually.