Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - jfaja - 2013-11-28

Help Needed:

I did a backup using xbmc backup to an external drive.
Upgraded my pc to windows 64 + more memory, new graphics card
Reeinstalled xbmc
added xbmc backup
in the definitions I can add the path to the backup in my external drive
click restore
nothing happens...

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-11-28

Don't add the path to the backup, add the path to the folder that contains the backup. The addon will search that folder for valid backup files and let you choose the folder to restore.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - jfaja - 2013-11-28

Thank You robweber,

Worked like a charm!

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - zer04c - 2013-11-29

Hi, thanks for all your work on this addon, I make a weekly backup to my Dropbox which is amazing.

I did a restore the other day and seemed to have found a bug. For some reason when it makes a backup to Dropbox, any folders with a period in them are not backed up. I always noticed that my house.md never had any content and was confused why, but now another folder has a period in it , this is also empty.

Normally I would just change the folder to something without the period but it is used by another addon and the names need to be in their original format :/

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - shin505 - 2013-12-02

I did a Backup of my friends XBMC so that I could Restore it onto my barebones android box I'm purchasing. He has some unique addons that we're unable to locate on the web and a Backup was the only thing we could think of doing to transfer them over. Could I go into the Backup folder and start carefully removing specific addon/addon data I don't want to have Restored or will it cause problems?

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-12-02

(2013-11-29, 22:06)zer04c Wrote: Hi, thanks for all your work on this addon, I make a weekly backup to my Dropbox which is amazing.

I did a restore the other day and seemed to have found a bug. For some reason when it makes a backup to Dropbox, any folders with a period in them are not backed up. I always noticed that my house.md never had any content and was confused why, but now another folder has a period in it , this is also empty.

Normally I would just change the folder to something without the period but it is used by another addon and the names need to be in their original format :/

I'll have to try this out. Are you backing up your addons? All of those folders have periods in their names and have always backed up for me in testing. What is the content type of the data you are trying to back up? Sounds like it may be a custom folder.

(2013-12-02, 10:11)shin505 Wrote: I did a Backup of my friends XBMC so that I could Restore it onto my barebones android box I'm purchasing. He has some unique addons that we're unable to locate on the web and a Backup was the only thing we could think of doing to transfer them over. Could I go into the Backup folder and start carefully removing specific addon/addon data I don't want to have Restored or will it cause problems?

There is not issue with going into the backup folder and removing what you don't want. The addon will only copy what is left in the restore folder. Removing addon data shouldn't break anything.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - zer04c - 2013-12-05

(2013-12-02, 17:57)robweber Wrote: I'll have to try this out. Are you backing up your addons? All of those folders have periods in their names and have always backed up for me in testing. What is the content type of the data you are trying to back up? Sounds like it may be a custom folder.

Yes def a custom folder. I'm backing up the contents of a single addon folder within userdata. Within the folders are .strm files. There are about 60 folders all containing seasons of tvshows and the strm files within those. What's funny is that it managed to create the folders with the periods in, but it gets stuck after that not making it to the season 1 etc folders. I can share the link to my drop box so you can see for yourself if you like ? I've done terrible job trying to explain it simply , and might be easier to see it.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-12-05

Feel free to PM me with any relevant information you might not want everyone to see in a public forum. Most helpful would probably be a screenshot showing one of the directories in its original location, and then another of what gets copied to dropbox. A debug log would also be helpful from a backup run.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Dexter0014 - 2013-12-06

Hi everyone, I am trying to get XBMC Backup installed and am not having any luck at all.
I just spent a few hours searching and adding to my favourites and would like to back up my db. After some searching I found this amazing tool. I have 3 computers that I recently installed XBMC on and rather than doing the same thing on each computer, I figured I would do one and copy the db to the others.
Now, I a mable to install xbmcbackup on tow of the computers but ... the one I saved all my work to, I can't seem to install xbmcback on.
I am doing the exactly the same as I did on the other 2 but on this machine, when I click install, downloading flashes for a second and disappears.
I have tried to directly download in settings but it tells me the patch is not found.
The computer is connected to my home network.
Getting very frustrated. Sorry but I'm no computer genius so any help would be greatly appreciated.
I will continue to try and hopefully I will figure something out but if you can lend a hand ... :-)

TIA
Paul

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-12-06

It really sounds like your computer is having trouble pulling the addon file from the addon repo. You can try to download and install the addon directly. On the github page (https://github.com/robweber/xbmcbackup) there is a "download ZIP" option in the lower right-hand corner. Download this to your computer and then in XBMC->Settings->Addons choose "install from zip file". Browse to the zip file on your computer and the addon should install. It doesn't use any dependencies so there really should be no problem.

If this doesn't work there is a lot of info about your systems that will be needed to help any further. What kind of OS are you using, version of XBMC, can you provide a debug log, etc. Try the zip file first and see if that fixes your issues.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Dexter0014 - 2013-12-06

Thank you robweber, I did try that before posting. It installs as designed and is enabled. When I go into the Add-ons, I click the SuperRepo Installer, I get an error that reads: Error Script failed!: plugin.superrepo.org.installer
I have downloaded it a few times using a different machine as well with the same results so I am confident that it's localized to this machine.

Specs are as follows:
Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo 2098GHz
4gb RAM
Windows 7 SP1 64bit

XBMC 12.2 Git:20130502-32b1a5e (Compiled May 2, 2013)

I will re-install XBMC if I must but this is the machine I wanted to back up.

Thank again.

UPDATE: I kept trying and trying and it finally worked
Thank you for your help.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - THRobinson - 2013-12-11

Having an issue with my restore.

Backed everything up and formatted my c:\, reinstalled everything, installed the backup program for XBMC, ran the full restore, closed XBMC and copied over the guisettings.xml.

Everything seemed fine, had to chose my audio output again, otherwise settings seem fine.

Problem though is that when I go into the movies folder or my TV series... artwork is random. Some have background art and no poster, a few have just a poster, and many have nothing at all.

I checked the thumbnails folder on the backup, about 2.7GB and compared the size and number of files to what's on my hard drive after the restore and the numbers seem to match. I looked in the folder and found some posters that (although appear in the thumbs folder) aren't showing up in XBMC. The files are there, the drive letters are correct, just, some stuff chooses to appear and some stuff doesn't.

Restored twice, restarted a few times, ran a cleanup... nothing... when I run an update library it doesn't find anything new or attempts to download anything from TVDB/TMDB. If I refresh a movie, it connects and downloads all the artwork no problem. I am hoping to avoid rescraping the entire library... spent days picking the correct artwork and fixing/adding artwork to TMDB (like 800 posters uploaded).

Any ideas?

EDIT - Just uninstalled XBMC, reboot system, made sure all files gone. Install, reboot system. Install the backup addon, restarted xbmc, ran a restore, shut down xbmc, copied over the guisettings file, started xbmc and same deal. Same files it seems as well. If only a cover would show before, it's the same now... same for backgrounds or, for most, nothing at all. I've used this addon before without issue, not sure what the deal is now. Files are there, I can see/open the thumbs... they just don't seem to be linking up properly.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-12-11

Sounds like something is messed up with your Textures.DB file (I'm assuming here that you backed that up and restored it). Try deleting that file when XBMC is not running and then restart. This should force the textures database to re-pull any artwork instead of thinking that it has it. It will use the artwork location set in your database so it should be the local stuff you've spent so much time setting up.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - THRobinson - 2013-12-11

Well, when I ran the backup I had everything checked off (except the 2 customs at the bottom).

I did a search on the backup, it didn't find a textures.db file, it did find a userdata\database\textures13.db though (which I read is the same thing I guess). Same as the XBMC folder on my C:\.

I renamed the one on my C:\ to textures13.old, started up XBMC, it created a new one, but, it didn't affect anything.

I checked the file sizes though... the original was around 204KB on my C:\... the backup file was around 11MB.

I've run the restore twice, uninstalled XBMC and started over again, and all options are checked for the backup/restore so no idea why it didn't copy the file over. So, shut XBMC down, copied the 11MB file over, and so far seems to have fixed the issue.

Thanks!

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-12-11

Good to know. I'll have to do some investigating, maybe the Textures file is like guisettings and can't be copied while xbmc is running. If so that would be good information to know.