Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - bolter - 2014-02-17

(2014-02-17, 17:09)robweber Wrote: Really depends on how you have your library setup. If you are using the built in XBMC database I would select the "Database" option. That will grab all the DB files. The database includes all the movie information, paths, etc. You'll also probably want your config files as this would get your sources.xml and other important information. Pretty much the only thing you don't want to check in your scenario is the Addons and Addon Data.

Keep in mind you can always backup up everything and then under the restore option only restore select pieces. I usually go this route as I can always restore more if I am not getting what I wanted.
Thanks robweber, I didn't realise that you could select what you wanted to recover, I thought it was restore everything that was backed up. Will give that a go.please keep this add on going, it's a life saver.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-02-17

No problem.

I suppose that is something that isn't explained/documented as well as it should be. Whatever you have selected in the addon settings under "File Selection" is the selection used for both backups and restores. You can be pretty granular with what you want that way.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - hal1000 - 2014-02-24

I have not been able to get this to work on my quad core Android box - it works fine on my Windows 7 setup - so I understand how to use it etc. I was wondering if this is a known Android issue or if it is something specific to my setup. After I specify a destination all I get win is an empty folder after doing a backup.

Thanks for any help

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-02-24

What type of destination are you using? Specifically is it SMB or NFS? I recall some issues related to file write operations on Windows vs Linux/Android type systems.

If I have the protocol type at least I can do some test, I have an Android phone and tablet with XBMC I can try things out on. For the most part the addon should be cross platform, unless there is something with the OS causing an issue. Really shouldn't be though.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Samu-rai - 2014-02-25

I haven't had any problems with android installs my end.

@robweber

Should path substitutions work ok?

I'm trying to get it to look in special://home but no joy as yet.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-02-26

Do you mean like if you've path substituted a directory like your userdata folder? In the code it is already translating the "special://home" folder to find out where your xbmc info is to do the backup. Have you path substituted this whole folder - it really should find it. I'm using the xbmcvfs python module along with the xbmc.translatePath() function to make sure the filesystem is being accessed correctly. If you can't get it working please post a debug log, there should be some information in there that could be used to help.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Samu-rai - 2014-02-26

Sorry. It was a mistake on my behalf which was causing the error.

Thanks for your quick response.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Samu-rai - 2014-02-28

Tried for the first time yesterday to restore a back up which included profiles.

It seems this isn't possible, and after doing a few tests I think the profiles.xml works in the same manner as guisettings.xml.

Is that correct?

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-03-02

I could not for sure say. It very well could be. If I have time I can dig through the xbmc code and try to find out. If anyone (ie a Dev) knows for sure that would help.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - kharn - 2014-03-03

Hi,
i have this problem with Addon. Anyone have solution?

Code:
13:28:01 T:7968   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.UnicodeDecodeError'>
                                            Error Contents: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 22: ordinal not in range(128)
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "C:\Users\Bloodhister\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.xbmcbackup\default.py", line 34, in <module>
                                                backup.run(mode)
                                              File "C:\Users\Bloodhister\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.xbmcbackup\resources\lib\backup.py", line 88, in run
                                                utils.log(utils.getString(30048) + ": " + self.remote_vfs.root_path)
                                            UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 22: ordinal not in range(128)
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-03-06

It's definitely a unicode error. I'm guessing you have a non ascii character in the remote target name?

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - HTPCS - 2014-03-06

First time using your program.

There is some missing. Does your program offer an absolute backup and restore, or did i fail to backup correct content

Backed up, installed XMBC on fresh machine, installed your plugin and restored. I have TV Shows, Movies, plugins etc. Great work on that

I dont have Music or skin files, therefore no customisation on links to live tv etc

Is it a case, that i install, XMBC, Skin and your plugin then restore.

Question is really, does you app do a absolute restore of program files and uiser data, or do i have to resintall certain plugins, and cusomisation on restore

regards, HTPCServices.com

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Samu-rai - 2014-03-07

Addons should back up and restore no problem.

It isn't possible to restore GUI settings while XBMC is running though, which is likely why you are having issues with the skins. You will need to manually restore this to your userdata folder.

Depending on which platform you are running will determine how difficult that will be to accomplish.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - HTPCS - 2014-03-08

windows, so should be simple enough. I will test this.

Thanks

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - gibxxi - 2014-03-08

AFAIK, the general restore proceedure with XBMC Backup should be as follows:

1. (Re)install XBMC (if required),
2. Restore advancedsettings.xml to userdata folder,
3. Start XBMC and install XBMC Backup add-on from the XBMC.org repository,
4. Run the restore job after configuring Backup/Restore folder in XBMC Backup add-on,
5. Exit XBMC and restore your guisettings.xml file to your userdata folder,
6. Restart XBMC.

Note: Doing a clean install may require you to run XBMC at least once to get the userdata folder created so you know where to put the advancedsettings.xml file in step 2. If you know the path, then this is not nessecary.