Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - tokar12 - 2016-12-15

Hi guys,

I made a backup of my kodi and restore the error pops up a skin KODI runing error switches off and after being readmitted everything will erase. I was doing a backup of android and wanted to Move to Windows Can someone help Smile thanks

https://paste.ubuntu.com/23630870/

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - Shane21075 - 2016-12-22

Hi, looking at backing up my whole system to transfer to son's shield TV. He has an old 1st attempt metadata collection which I want to update but don't want to overwrite his viewed content. Have backed up and ready to update his but want his already played list to remain the same. Any way please?

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - gibxxi - 2016-12-25

(2016-12-22, 12:14)Shane21075 Wrote: Hi, looking at backing up my whole system to transfer to son's shield TV. He has an old 1st attempt metadata collection which I want to update but don't want to overwrite his viewed content. Have backed up and ready to update his but want his already played list to remain the same. Any way please?

I believe 'watched status' is what your referring to, and in this case it will be saved in Kodi's video DB. One thing you can do is exclude the DB from the backup, which you probably ought to do anyway if the sources / paths of the media differ on his tablet than on your other system (i.e different content paths, or different protocols like SMB vs. NFS vs. AirPlay, etc.).

Another way to preserve watched status would be to setup individual TRAKT.tv accounts for yourself and your son prior to restoring your backed up config to his tablet, then install the Kodi TRAKT addon and configure it to sync your respective EXISTING libraries with the TRAKT.tv website (and your accounts therein) each time a library update has concluded. That way even if the database gets hosed, you can always do a fresh install, re-setup the TRAKT.tv addon and pull back in all your already synced watched statuses.

Once the watched statuses for each of your respective libraries / systems have been initially synced with your respective (seperate) TRAKT.tv accounts, then you can proceed to restore your backup to his tablet. I would still exclude the database itself since your metadata will be replacing his, but once TRAKT is setup, you can always rescrape the library content in short-order and have the TRAKT add-on restore the watched-status of the rescraped content. With this in mind however it may pay to also exclude the TRAKT.tv addon and it's settings folder from the backup, or ensure the configuration is switched to his account from yours post-restore.

Sounds a lot more complicated than it is, the way i've written this, but I do a similar trick for library sharing between multiple systems, retaining watched status across them all. The moral of this long and involved story is TRAKT is more useful than simply telling the world what you've recently watched (as in my signature). It also serves as a backup of your valuable watched statuses, and the official add-on (in the kodi repo) is highly configurable. It's notifications can be mildly annoying, but these can be turned off if so desired.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2017-01-03

Been quite a while since I've posted on here - I do apologize to anyone that has posted an issue and not received some help. I see GitHub is full of issue tickets as well.

2016 was kind of a busy year - new job, new responsibilities in the real world. I don't want the work on this addon to just fall on the wayside though. Just wanted to let everyone following this know for 2017 I'm going to commit at least 2 hours a week to my open source projects - this addon included. In the past I've always counted on having down-time to work on things like this; and that time just isn't in supply like it used to be. I've put everyone in my family on notice - I'm going to schedule time to work on these types of things, shut my office door, and get some work done!

For this addon specifically I'm going to start with the backlog of issues on GitHub. With Krypton just around the corner I don't expect to make any significant changes to the Backup addon as it exists now though. Instead I've already started drafting a roadmap to "Backup 2.0" that should take care of some of the long term lingering issues. At the top of the list is better ways to tag paths for backup inclusion/exclusion. I've been playing around with the Veeam Agent for Linux (free-ware client for backing up Linux) and I like some of the simple, yet powerful, tools they've included for inclusion/exclusions for backups. Anyone with ideas please post them here. Hoping 2017 will yield some cool features for this addon.

[Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2017-01-04

Great news rob. Look forward to your workaround regarding krypton not enabling addons after restoring the backup.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - pucksterpete - 2017-01-06

Hi Rob or anyone else. I recently got a new laptop running Win 10. I installed Krypton version on it. I have been trying to get the Backup addon installed, but I keep getting these three errors

httplib2 installation failed
googleapi failed to install a dependency
backup failed to install a dependency

I would give ya a log, but the log viewer addon and all the other addons within the Kodi Repository give me the same error messages.

any ideas how to fix this?

(update) got it work Jarvis no problem, but no luck with Krypton

Tnx
Pete

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - gibxxi - 2017-01-07

(2017-01-06, 16:41)pucksterpete Wrote: Hi Rob or anyone else. I recently got a new laptop running Win 10. I installed Krypton version on it. I have been trying to get the Backup addon installed, but I keep getting these three errors

httplib2 installation failed
googleapi failed to install a dependency
backup failed to install a dependency

I would give ya a log, but the log viewer addon and all the other addons within the Kodi Repository give me the same error messages.

any ideas how to fix this?

(update) got it work Jarvis no problem, but no luck with Krypton

Tnx
Pete

Pete,

If your situation seems somewhat familiar to this one...

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=302931

Feel free to add your issue to the thread (a debug log of your install attempts would probably also help).

Gib.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - TaceN - 2017-01-10

Hey guys!

Uploading my backup file to a server..
is it possible to download the file from the server and restore from that file?

// T

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2017-01-10

That's sort of what the addon is intended to do, unless I am missing something here. In "backup mode" you push the file up to the server. In "Restore Mode" it pulls it back down and puts the files back.

If you're doing something different I guess more detail please.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - TaceN - 2017-01-11

Sorry.. i just realized that my web host doesn't support uploads from an external source. Only internal. Have to sort out anither one.

I createed a backup file locally. Uploaded it to my server. But the addon doesn't recognize any file. So, guess it need to be able to upload it to recognize it?!

So, can I with this addon use the same backup file to severals of raspberry pi's?
I just want the rasps to recover from the source, not really backup to it. Only download.

[Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2017-01-11

Yes you can.

So, I can in this case only put a file on a web server. Enter the source in the addon and it should find the file in the folder that I enter?
I tried this, but it doesn't find any file (which I had uploaded) to the location.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2017-01-11

A lot depends on your web host. You can use a URL as a source, but when Kodi tries to get a listing of files/folders the web server has to support the Directory Listing query and return it. A lot of online servers from web hosting companies will not.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - TaceN - 2017-01-12

Alright guys.. another question!
I made the backup file, uploaded it to my server.
From the file manager in Kodi I connected through SFTP to my server where I'm using the source later on in the backup addon.
The addon finds the backup file without any problem. It downloads and it starts to unpack and so on.

But, then kodi says that the source doesn't exist.
Error: The source doesn't exist /storage/.kodi/temp/201701122044/

Can someone relate to this problem?