Kodi Community Forum
Wifi, UnRaid, and XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Wifi, UnRaid, and XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=130024)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Wifi, UnRaid, and XBMC - GortWillSaveUs - 2012-05-23

(2012-05-23, 18:01)poofyhairguy Wrote: If you have to use wireless, only use 5ghz N to avoid interference.

Thanks for the recommendation.
The Powerline adapter will be waiting for me when I get home tonight.
So, I should be able to tell if my problems are solved and life will be good.

RE: Wifi, UnRaid, and XBMC - Bstrdsmkr - 2012-05-23

I interested in seeing your experience. I've had a bad experience with them but it looks like others have had better luck.

RE: Wifi, UnRaid, and XBMC - Mick1152 - 2012-05-24

I used Powerline network adaptors in my old house with great success. No idea what the speeds were but, never noticed any hiccups on any of the systems or video game consoles throughout the house. Streamed Netflix/Hulu no problem and copying files over the network was fast. My new house, not as much luck with them. VERY slow, poor connections. Had to run network cables under the house ultimately.

RE: Wifi, UnRaid, and XBMC - GortWillSaveUs - 2012-05-24

(2012-05-22, 14:27)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: While I have been able to watch movies over my wireless. (Although I will get stutters sometimes which can get pretty aggravating)

I decided to take the plunge and purchase this PowerLine solution. Since I didn't want to run CAT cables through my walls,...a few coworkers Highly Recommended these and said they use them flawlessly with their HTPC.
ZyXEL PLA401v3 HomePlug AV 200 Mbps Powerline Wall-plug Adapter (Starter Kit - 2 units)

Well, the units arrived yesterday.
I got home from work, unwrapped them, plugged them in,..and instantly had network connections.
I then pushed the button on the sides of the devices to set the encryption for both devices and again,...no problems.
But the big test was the family. They had noticed that a few of the movies that were being streamed via wifi were stuttering.

We played 3-4 of the movies and no stuttering, instant playing,..and the fast forward, chapter skipping, stopping, starting were smooth!
I am SO glad I brought the ZyXEL PLA401v3 HomePlug AV 200 Mbps Powerline Wall-plug Adapter (Starter Kit - 2 units)

RE: Wifi, UnRaid, and XBMC - aoaaron - 2012-05-24

Yes I do wifi 1080p in my flat and it's amazing but the evirlnment is opens,

Tried it at home and its horrible for anything which is more than 480p... Power line adapters were the biggest waste of money ever.

Ethernet cables are cheap.
All other alternatives are not as good and 10x the price.

RE: Wifi, UnRaid, and XBMC - Bstrdsmkr - 2012-05-24

Nice, can you run a speed test?

Also, do you know when your wiring was installed?

RE: Wifi, UnRaid, and XBMC - GortWillSaveUs - 2012-05-25

(2012-05-24, 18:33)aoaaron Wrote: Yes I do wifi 1080p in my flat and it's amazing but the evirlnment is opens,

Tried it at home and its horrible for anything which is more than 480p... Power line adapters were the biggest waste of money ever.

Ethernet cables are cheap.
All other alternatives are not as good and 10x the price.

Ethernet cables may be cheap,..but a lot of people don't want to hire someone (can't afford that cost), or they can't for other reasons.
While you had a bad experience, with PowerLine,...I can only rave about it and say,...THANK Goodness I borough these. This really solves all of my network problems.

I can play 1080p movies over this connection perfectly.
As I said, a lot of people are looking for a solution to their networking issues. Fro me the $70 bucks this thing cost is well worth the money!!!

(2012-05-24, 20:11)Bstrdsmkr Wrote: Nice, can you run a speed test?

Also, do you know when your wiring was installed?

I don't worry about speed tests and here's why,.....they're a waste of time.
Why do I say thatHuh? Well,..here's how I check to see if I'm getting good throughput,....

Bring my family into the room,...turn on movie,..play in 1080p,....no stuttering,...family happy,....I'm happy!
Now if I start putzing around and worrying about numbers and Performance scores,..we'll never enjoy a movie because as I said,..I'll never be happy because I'm continually chasing some number.

But this is my opinion. As you can see, I'm no purist. I only care if it sounds good and looks good, based on my perception, and not a graph of numbers.

RE: Wifi, UnRaid, and XBMC - aoaaron - 2012-05-25

id still love a speed test... maybe im going wrong with the powerline adaptors or i bought some shit ones?

how much were yours?

tbh, i dont have much experience in running wires other than a quick DIY job last year but this summer I'll br wiring up a bit more. I am a bit worried tbh because im not going to pay anyone to do it.

RE: Wifi, UnRaid, and XBMC - GortWillSaveUs - 2012-05-25

(2012-05-25, 17:43)aoaaron Wrote: id still love a speed test... maybe im going wrong with the powerline adaptors or i bought some shit ones?

how much were yours?

tbh, i dont have much experience in running wires other than a quick DIY job last year but this summer I'll br wiring up a bit more. I am a bit worried tbh because im not going to pay anyone to do it.

I brought these and they work great. Plugged them in, and didn't even read the instructions. Okay, I did look at the quick start guide.
ZyXEL PLA401v3 HomePlug AV 200 Mbps Powerline Wall-plug Adapter (Starter Kit - 2 units). They were $69.96

I'm sure each device has its pros and cons, as well as what works for one person, is horrible for another.
I wasn't trying to rant at anyone about performance numbers, only trying to help someone who might be getting perfectly fine performance from worrying about something that doesn't matter. A small hammer can drive a nail too.

All I can say, is, this device worked for me.

RE: Wifi, UnRaid, and XBMC - Bstrdsmkr - 2012-05-25

No worries, I was just curious about the speed test. I'd like to compare with what I've seen and try to determine if the problem truly was with the equipment, the wiring, or the brand lol

RE: Wifi, UnRaid, and XBMC - GortWillSaveUs - 2012-05-28

Well, with the long weekend and one day of torrential rain,...my family's been fighting for use of the system.
I am extremely happy to say that the Powerline devices (see above prior post) have been rocking!

No lags, delays, or stuttering. That was the best $70 I spent.

Plus, I would have had to post pictures of all the holes in the walls, if you let me try and run cable.

RE: Wifi, UnRaid, and XBMC - mofoo - 2012-05-30

If you can wait for it, go for gigabit wireless!
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/05/wifis-future-faster-smarter-and-fewer-cables/
the first couple routers should be out now/soon but I'm not sure about adapters. Also the first ones are only dual band. Triband will get you even more bandwidth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11ac

RE: Wifi, UnRaid, and XBMC - GortWillSaveUs - 2012-05-31

(2012-05-30, 20:30)mofoo Wrote: If you can wait for it, go for gigabit wireless!
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/05/wifis-future-faster-smarter-and-fewer-cables/
the first couple routers should be out now/soon but I'm not sure about adapters. Also the first ones are only dual band. Triband will get you even more bandwidth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11ac

Yup, and it looks like Amazon has the Netgear R6300 WiFi Router: 802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit Router

RE: Wifi, UnRaid, and XBMC - GortWillSaveUs - 2012-06-13

(2012-05-05, 10:49)CpTHOOK Wrote: ....oh yeah, Gort will only save us if Mr. Carpenter A.K.A Klaatu sees us all getting along!

Only now did I see this comment! Love it! and you're right, so watch yourself,..that is unless you know the super-secret code word!

RE: Wifi, UnRaid, and XBMC - aptalca - 2012-06-13

(2012-05-28, 22:26)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: Well, with the long weekend and one day of torrential rain,...my family's been fighting for use of the system.
I am extremely happy to say that the Powerline devices (see above prior post) have been rocking!

No lags, delays, or stuttering. That was the best $70 I spent.

Plus, I would have had to post pictures of all the holes in the walls, if you let me try and run cable.

I took your advice and bought a pair of these as well. At first, I was getting buffering on even 720p stuff. Then I realized, one of them was hooked up to a surge protector, and they are not supposed to be. But out of curiosity, I did the speedtest.net and got a 6.5Mb/s download rate.

After plugging it directly to an outlet, everything started playing fine. Speedtest.net gave me a measure of 23.5Mb/s+ (My cable modem maxes out at that rate).

The only file I got buffering on was a very high variable bitrate rip of "Revenge of the Sith" and the buffering occurred during a scene where the video bitrate went up above 35Mbit/s.

But like you said, it was plug and play, and extremely easy to set up.

Thanks for the suggestion, now I no longer have to walk upstairs to wake the machine whenever I need to print something. (Wake-on-lan does it for me :-)