Kodi Community Forum
Thumbnail Syncing - Conflicting Info on the wiki. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: Thumbnail Syncing - Conflicting Info on the wiki. (/showthread.php?tid=130472)

Thumbnail Syncing - Conflicting Info on the wiki. - DecK - 2012-05-02

Hi All
Hopefully someone can help me clear something up.

Looking at the wiki on syncing multiple instances, and specifically on the thumbnails page.
It states that you just need to path substitute the thumbnails folder to keep thumbnails/fanart in sync.
Or, as in my case, "You may want to simply copy the thumbnails folder across all devices, rather than follow this step."

But on the ThumbnailCache page, it makes mention also of the Textures6.db and the fact that you need to also refresh the data there when updating/adding thumbnails/fanart.

Am I just being stupid or are these in conflict?

RE: Thumbnail Syncing - Conflicting Info on the wiki. - jmarshall - 2012-05-02

They're not in conflict. Anything in Textures*.db can be regenerated from your sources, so don't need anything done to them necessarily (assuming, ofcourse, that the original image URLs are available on the client). Ofcourse, copying the thumbs without the texture database is also useless as they won't be used without it - they'll simply be regenerated.

You're almost certainly primarily interested in videos and music art, neither of which uses Textures*.db in Eden.

In this case, copy the Video and Music subfolders only.

RE: Thumbnail Syncing - Conflicting Info on the wiki. - Mordred - 2012-05-02

That means we can skip copying everything in Thumbnails\0-F?

RE: Thumbnail Syncing - Conflicting Info on the wiki. - DecK - 2012-05-02

(2012-05-02, 04:53)jmarshall Wrote: Of course, copying the thumbs without the texture database is also useless as they won't be used without it - they'll simply be regenerated.

How does that jive with the statement on the thumbnails page: "You may want to simply copy the thumbnails folder across all devices"?
It appears from your quote that I need to copy both the thumnails folder and the db in order for this to work, yet that page make no reference to the db.

Not trying to be a pain here, just want to make sure that I understand exactly what I need to do.

RE: Thumbnail Syncing - Conflicting Info on the wiki. - jmarshall - 2012-05-03

You can copy the Music and Video subfolders.

Copying anything else is counter-productive, as all of those images are regeneratable on the client.

RE: Thumbnail Syncing - Conflicting Info on the wiki. - Ned Scott - 2012-05-03

I think the confusion here is that the wiki just says "thumbnails" and not "the thumbnails specific to the video library" or something like that. Textures*.db is only used for some thumbs, but not the ones we care about in the case of sharing a library.

By all means, if someone believes they can describe it better (maybe even turn the warning into a sub-page with instructions), the wiki is open for anyone to edit. What is on there now I had put to simply as a warning about pathsubs making loading the library slower. Given that the way thumbnails are being handled is currently changing in XBMC, I didn't see a point in putting a lot of effort into expanding the why and how.

RE: Thumbnail Syncing - Conflicting Info on the wiki. - Memphiz - 2012-05-03

(2012-05-03, 01:46)jmarshall Wrote: You can copy the Music and Video subfolders.

Copying anything else is counter-productive, as all of those images are regeneratable on the client.

Interesting. So instead of doing on path substitution to the whole thumbnail folder on the NAS it might be better (performance wise) to do 2 seperated path substitutions (one to the Music and one to the Video subfolder in the thumbnails path)?

RE: Thumbnail Syncing - Conflicting Info on the wiki. - jmarshall - 2012-05-03

Definitely. That way you can kill the video one once my PR is in.