lots of niggly questions regarding the menu system and folder import - Printable Version
+- Kodi Community Forum (http://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Help and Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Kodi General Help and Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Thread: lots of niggly questions regarding the menu system and folder import (/showthread.php?tid=130944)
lots of niggly questions regarding the menu system and folder import - phill1978 - 2012-05-07 21:26
love xbmc at the moment im testing and building on windows but will move to a client server (mysql) arrangement in future with at least 4 x xbmc boxes. I am tip toeing carefully around as i have found a querk and need to ask some questions before i begin to even consider pulling any hair out down the line or making basic mistakes from assumption
Okay i have the following on aeon skin main like everyone does:
VIDEOS / MOVIES / HD MOVIES / MUSIC / WEATHER etc...
And my folder structure is simply HDD single folder imports of Blueray movies / Youtube videos / Music / Pics , as you would expect i have added blueray into 'movies' , music into 'music' , youtube videos into 'videos' , pics into pictures
1. why is there 'movies' and 'videos' and 'HD movies' ? surely i just need 'videos' / 'movies' (or videos and hd movies if i want to look flash)
2. Can i remove one of the menu items so i only can choose between what i consider to be common 'videos' be it home grown or youtube? so id end up with the above example i.e 'movies' and 'videos' no hdmovies
3. It seems I can only actually edit the thumb/fanart in 'movies' ? is this normal and if so why? every time i right click a box cover on 'HD movies' it just takes me back to the main menu. it seems like 'movies' is actually the editing part yet sits on the menu system like a main selection, if this is true then that feels designed wrong and should either be allowable in HD movies also or not at all.
4. why is it that when i look in 'videos' under 'files' i have blueray movies as a folder option along side my youtuve videos folder import? i don't remember adding it, i can also look in videos for recently added movies? am i misunderstanding the word videos? for me this means camcorder, or clips not VHS videos so why would i look for movies? further more selecting this brings up the entire BD collection. ((scratches head.. movies for movies and videos for videos.. cool, ok yet i can see any folder added in either section))
This is the hair pulling part..
5. i removed blueray movies folder from videos as i didn't want the option to see it as it looked tacky as videos is for videos right? I only wanted youtube videos as a viewable folder. This promptly removed blueray movies folder (not the movies) but in doing so also removed fan art and all cover art which was custom so i now have to import and select each of my movies thumbs again which is annoying as there all default medium quality with the next thumb down on the online library a HD copy ?! (why not give me the HD one first please, is there an option) .. ahh the question.. why did removing the folder in videos actually remove the job lot and not just the reference?
I noticed that once i had taken it from videos on the main menu hdmovies disappeared and movies had nothing in? are they all linked and if so then why have separate sections?
6. why are my youtube videos or cam clips not treated like movies ? ((or are they)) i would like a nice cover view and the option to add a background like a default even so its not just a stack of files same with music. it seems XBMC is movie awesome.. but then billed as an all in one? its stacked towards movie playback admit it
Any help appreciated, it was the folder confusion that put me off about a year ago. Xbmc 11 is noticeably better but im not sure im really understanding the separate options but all having access to the same added folder system? seems odd.
thanks and keep up the amazing work
RE: lots of niggly questions regarding the menu system and folder import - TapRackPull - 2012-05-07 21:50
1.) Options, options, options... Everyone's requirements are different.
2.) Go to Settings>>select the last option, I think it is Appearance>> One of the options is on that submenu will allow you to activate/deactivate individual menu options, just highlight the menu or submenu option that you want to edit, press enter, and select "disable"
3.) right click acts the same as the backspace key, instead of right clicking an object to access a menu of actions, presee the "c" key.
4.) That's normal... XBMC itself recognizes all videos, and movies as videos kinda lumps them all together. When you add a source, it asks what kind of media is in the source. That is where you would specifiy whehter the content is a Movie, Video, TV Show, Music...
5.) OK, so if you selct the link from the homepage for let's say "Movies" it will take you directly to the list of items that you have labeled as "Movies" the same is true for "Videos", "TV Shows" and so on. When you are navigating the home screen, do not select the "files" submenu item. Doing so, will take you to the screen that shows you all your sources for that type. So for Videos, it would show you all the sources for your TV Shows, Movies, Videos...
Once you get your sources set-up the way you want (i.e. Youtube vides added as a source and XBMC has been told they are videos, Bluray Movies added as a source and XBMC is told they are movies) I would personally remove the "files" submenu for videos and movies - See the response to question 2.
6.) Can't answer for you.
Hope this helps.
RE: lots of niggly questions regarding the menu system and folder import - phill1978 - 2012-05-07 22:01
(2012-05-07 21:50)TapRackPull Wrote: 1.) Options, options, options... Everyone's requirements are different.
wow thanks for the quick reply matt
im going to look into option 2 as it seems it may help tidy things up a bit.
ohh and re-read what you said a few times before replying with the same questions again
RE: lots of niggly questions regarding the menu system and folder import - phill1978 - 2012-05-07 22:12
ok ive re-read and tried what you said.
firstly i pressed 'c' on hd movies and it doesn't edit the same as movies.. with movies you define the thumb and fan art, with hd movies you change the name thats it? why the difference.
my mistake on the removing of blueray was to agree to it removing from the whole library (face palm) so that bit is ok.
right lets focus on 'Videos' for a second
everytime i go into videos all i have is a Youtube folder, if i click on 'Videos' it still shows movies but it should at least say recently added videos the structure of videos is for searching for actor, film year ..? underneath there is 'files' it seems files is the only way to access my folder manually and clicking on videos no matter what always takes me to films on exiting the files section? so it seems that anything other than actual movies is handled rather 2nd class
so again my question is why do i need any of these picture options? they all take me to bloody films lol even when on videos i have only 1 folder and its naff all to do with films?
also i looked through ALL menus and im sure i must of missed something (not too much to miss if im honest) there isnt any way of removing HDmovies or videos from the skin ? so how can it be done
it seems to me that videos isnt even needed on most skins and neither is HDMovies
seems a bit basic.
RE: lots of niggly questions regarding the menu system and folder import - TapRackPull - 2012-05-07 22:53
First, this may have been my fault from the onset, which version of Aeon are you using Nox, MQ2, MQ3... because it will change how things are handled.
RE: lots of niggly questions regarding the menu system and folder import - phill1978 - 2012-05-08 13:24
(2012-05-07 22:53)TapRackPull Wrote: First, this may have been my fault from the onset, which version of Aeon are you using Nox, MQ2, MQ3... because it will change how things are handled.
a good question. I have noticed some skins dont suffer in this way, in fact with certain skins and with your sugestion to remove the files option the information flow seems more correct, the problem with the skins is that some of the worst informationally are the best visually
I have tried back row and that seems good, im not sure what neon it is i just clicked on 'neon' on the xbmc add skins section?