Kodi Community Forum
Win Finally timeshifting, thank you, but... - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: PVR (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=136)
+---- Thread: Win Finally timeshifting, thank you, but... (/showthread.php?tid=133671)

Finally timeshifting, thank you, but... - KRA77 - 2012-06-10

Thanks to Marcel, Fred and everyone else who contributed, finaly timeshifting is working with latest build from
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc/prebuild.html in combination with http://4therecord.eu !!

But, it only works from the OSD, the pause (space), FF(f)/RW® buttons (on the remote) is still disabled. Can this be fixed in some config, or is it build in hardcoded?

RE: Finally timeshifting, thank you, but... - margro - 2012-06-10

Timeshifting is still work in progress. The code to support backend-based timeshifting is there for 4TheRecord and MediaPortal. Next step is fine tuning and further fixing.
Don't expect this to be a perfectly working feature but more an early sneak-preview.

Keyboard and remote control is still a TODO. AFAIK it should be added to the code.
Futhermore, I would like to use the left-right arrows which means that I have to find another way to switch between channel groups.

RE: Finally timeshifting, thank you, but... - KRA77 - 2012-06-10

Thank you! waiting (im)patient for future releases then, and I completely agree that left/right arrows should be used for skipping rather than changing channel groups, at least in fullscreen view. You can already change channel groups by clicking "TV Channels" in the left sidemenu.

RE: Finally timeshifting, thank you, but... - bossanova808 - 2012-06-12

I don't think there's anything that can be done about the remote issues - I have tried to solve this but there doesn't appear to be a section for the live tv stream specifically - indeed I think it inherits the global remote keys, not even the fullscreenvideo ones, which is a bit odd.

There is a <TV> </TV> section for keyboard/remote.xml but this seems to only apply for the navigation portion of the PVR, not playback.

RE: Finally timeshifting, thank you, but... - nobleach - 2012-06-12

Let me check my remote.xml setup... I have 30 second skip forward and 8 second skip back setup just fine... But I haven't installed this fork of XBMC yet... I hope to remedy that tonight.
Wait.... this is a Windows only build? The frontend has to be running Windows? I can tolerate a Windows backend if I have to but..... eeeeks... Windows on the front is needed?

RE: Finally timeshifting, thank you, but... - margro - 2012-06-12

@nobleeach:
Windows is not required for the Frontend, but to test the (early) timeshifting support, you will need to use a PVR backend that supports it. Currently only supported on MediaPortal TVServer, ForTheRecord Argus and using MythTV. I copied the current timeshifting support from tsp42's MythTV PVR development branch.
So if you want a Linux + MythTV solution, search for a build from tsp42.
For a Windows backend, you will need to build XBMC yourself (based on my master or Eden branch).

(2012-06-12, 21:30)margro Wrote: @nobleeach:
Windows is not required for the Frontend, but to test the (early) timeshifting support, you will need to use a PVR backend that supports it. Currently only supported on MediaPortal TVServer, ForTheRecord Argus and using MythTV. I copied the current timeshifting support from tsp42's MythTV PVR development branch.
So if you want a Linux + MythTV solution, search for a build from tsp42.
For a Windows backend, you will need to build XBMC yourself (based on my master or Eden branch).

Oh I do have a windows machine on the network that I could run MediaPortal TVServer or ForTheRecord Argus. I suppose I could also run either on on a light weight XP virtual machine too.

So if I have an OpenELEC front end, I'd need to wipe that out and checkout your git repo, compile and build? I'm running on two separate boxes for front end and back end.

RE: Finally timeshifting, thank you, but... - margro - 2012-06-12

Timeshift support requires changes inside XBMC, the pvr addons and the skin, so it won't work with a standard OpenELEC PVR build.
I'm not sure if you can tell the OpenELEC build system to build XBMC from a different github repository. I will check this when I have time...

(2012-06-12, 22:10)margro Wrote: Timeshift support requires changes inside XBMC, the pvr addons and the skin, so it won't work with a standard OpenELEC PVR build.
I'm not sure if you can tell the OpenELEC build system to build XBMC from a different github repository. I will check this when I have time...

No worries. I don't mind just cloning your repo and trying to build it.

RE: Finally timeshifting, thank you, but... - bossanova808 - 2012-06-13

I am using the FTR add on with OE - see here for notes: http://xbmcstuff.bossanova808.net/2012/06/getting-fortherecord-plugin-to-work.html

Works great for playback at least, I haven't tried much fancy stuff with that client....

RE: Finally timeshifting, thank you, but... - nobleach - 2012-06-13

I've installed FTR on a windows 7 home box. I haven't found how to integrate Schedules Direct XMLTV data yet but google should help me solve that.

I was able to watch a TV channel with no guide info on XBMC and pause and rewind. Pretty cool!

I'm a bit weirded out that FTR's awesome management consoles aren't more intuitive. They seem pretty much like MythTV and TVHeadend's endless menus of services and mappings... etc.

I compiled Margo's git repo but then found someone was nice enough to create a PPA for Ubuntu.

RE: Finally timeshifting, thank you, but... - nobleach - 2012-06-13

I'm guessing this means it would be trivial to install XBMCbuntu, add the repo, and then apt-get update, then upgrade or install to Margro's version.... I'm gonna try this on a USB stick tonight and see how well it works on my main HTPC. It's a Zotac ZBOX dual core Atom with 4GB of RAM. Right now I'm running the Pulse-Eight ION build of OpenElec. I do love that it just works out of the box. But I also love having a full linux distro underneath the hood.

RE: Finally timeshifting, thank you, but... - erichzann - 2012-06-30

Margro, as you mentioned earlier in the post it would be great to use the left and right arrows to timeshift, but this would require a new way to change channel groups.

Is there any chance it could be handled the way mediaportal handles changing the channel groups? i.e. when you have the mini epg open on screen you can press left or right to scroll through the channel groups.

This is also a useful way to see the channels within each group and means you can browse channel groups whilst watching TV without being forced to change channels.

Thanks