Kodi Community Forum
RF remote alternative to Nyxboard ? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: RF remote alternative to Nyxboard ? (/showthread.php?tid=135058)

Pages: 1 2

RF remote alternative to Nyxboard ? - anarchoi - 2012-06-30

So i bought two Motorola Nyxboard Hybrid remotes from Pulse-Eight but I am really disappointed about them. Lots of users - including me - are having troubles getting it detected by Windows when booting. I tested with 5 different computers and i keep having trouble with this bad product.
See here:
http://forums.pulse-eight.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4207&#post4207

So I am now giving up with Pulse-Eight products and looking forward to an alternative.

I'm looking for a remote (not a keyboard) that would work well with XBMC. I want a RF device (or bluetooth), not IR (will be using the remote from another room)

I'm not interessed in ipad or similar devices (too long to boot, and batteries doesn't last as long as a traditional remote)

I also really liked that the Nyxboard remote could learn from other remotes and switch to IR mode so i can also use it to control my TV and receiver.

Any suggestions ?

RE: RF remote alternative to Nyxboard ? - anarchoi - 2012-06-30

Does anyone use the TiVo Slide Remote with XBMC on this forum ?

How is it for XBMC compared to Nyxboard ?
Is there any lag ?
What's the maximum range ?

On TiVo.com they say the remote can learn power, volume, and mute... But can I also control my cable with it ? Will i be able to switch TV channels and use the numpad to change channels ? Is there a programmable "guide" button that I can use to see the scheduled programs from my cable ?

Other interessing options could be :
- RFS200
- CLLRCMCE
- firefly
- Emprex 3009URF

but again i have the same questions !

RE: RF remote alternative to Nyxboard ? - Ely51um - 2012-08-14

Like you, I've also given up on the Nyxboard (and Pulse-Eight).

I spent a good deal of time trying to find an alternative RF remote that was reasonably priced, since I could no longer justify spending too much money on another remote after already losing what I had paid for the Nyxboard.

My solution in the end was to use an old IR MCE remote that I had bought years ago with a product that changes nearly any IR remote (that uses AA or AAA sized batteries) into an RF one: http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-Remote-Control-Extender/dp/B000C1Z0HA

I was doubtful about how well this would actually work (or if it would work at all), but the price was right and the many great reviews convinced me to give it a chance. I've been using it for a couple weeks now and so far it's been working out great. I initially had an issue with how the RF extender was retransmitting the IR signal to my MCE receiver, but after switching the frequency on the base unit to the 'A' setting it's worked perfectly since.

While this isn't the most ideal alternative to a remote such as the Nyxboard, it is a fairly inexpensive way to upgrade an existing IR remote with RF capability. Of course at this point I'm just thankful to have an RF solution that doesn't require me to get up and replug a dongle back in almost every time I go to use it.

RE: RF remote alternative to Nyxboard ? - Ned Scott - 2012-08-14

From the thread OP linked to, it seems that the issue exist for most RF keyboards with a USB dongle, and is isolated to only certain motherboards (I've never had such an issue with my Nyxboard).

Just to be clear.

RE: RF remote alternative to Nyxboard ? - K405 - 2012-08-26

Hi Ned,

I have a spanking new Intel DH77DF mobo (which support the internal HDMI-CEC by Pulse-eight) and I also suffer from this issue. I have also tried it on a MSI GA-P43-ES3G mobo also an issue. I have tried using an external USB hub with it's own power supply. I think it's outrages that it's still being sold and advertised as the 'best remote for XBMC'.
Don't try to make it sound like it's a rare issue just because you are having no problems at all.

And it's not only related to Windows either cause it happens in Linux too!

I really wish it would have worked flawlessly cause I like the design and how it feels.

Just to be clear.

RE: RF remote alternative to Nyxboard ? - Ned Scott - 2012-08-26

(2012-08-26, 14:07)K405 Wrote: Hi Ned,

I have a spanking new Intel DH77DF mobo (which support the internal HDMI-CEC by Pulse-eight) and I also suffer from this issue. I have also tried it on a MSI GA-P43-ES3G mobo also an issue. I have tried using an external USB hub with it's own power supply. I think it's outrages that it's still being sold and advertised as the 'best remote for XBMC'.
Don't try to make it sound like it's a rare issue just because you are having no problems at all.

And it's not only related to Windows either cause it happens in Linux too!

I really wish it would have worked flawlessly cause I like the design and how it feels.

Just to be clear.

What the hell? What on earth are you trying to accuse me of? Lying?

I said that this is simply what I gathered from the thread that anarchoi linked to. This is what the very people who are having this issue are saying. If you want to get pissy at someone, go get pissy at them.

I also tried to warn that this is an issue that is not isolated to the Nyxboard. This issue will likely be seen on most, if not all, RF remotes for those motherboards.

Rare or not, it's most likely not an issue for most people since they either have a motherboard that works, or being detected at boot isn't an issue because the HTPC is either on all the time or only sleeps (rather than shutting down). If it is an issue, don't look for other USB RF remotes to work.

I do take issue with people trying to sling mud at Pulse-Eight because their specific hardware doesn't work flawlessly, and trying to make it sound like Pulse-Eight is the ONLY ones with this issue. Get your facts straight or get out.

RE: RF remote alternative to Nyxboard ? - K405 - 2012-08-26

I am not accusing you of lying. I am just replying to your words which try, in my opinion, to numb down this issue.
Is there any mentioning of this issue on the product page for the Motorola NYXBoard at the Pulse-Eight website?
(Will not work on some mobo's?)
Is there any efforts to compile a list of motherboards that do work?
Is there an option for people with the 'wrong' motherboard to return their product?

Pulse-eight sold me something for money. I am a customer. Do I just have to pay and stfu?
I very well know that they are not the producer of the NYXBoard and I know they have opened a ticket with Motorola but I have lost hope already.
I'm not holding my breath so to speak.

You would be pissed too? Yes or no? I am not slinging mud I am saying the Motorola NYXBoard doesn't live up to it's promises as stated on the product page.
Who is lying here?

By the way I also bought 2 HDMI-CEC adapters (1 normal and 1 internal) from them. Paying customer!

RE: RF remote alternative to Nyxboard ? - maddog808 - 2012-08-27

RFS200 is solid. I've used it for 5 years now with no problems. Kids dropped it so many times, I finally had to order a new one. It can't be beat for the money.

RE: RF remote alternative to Nyxboard ? - gibxxi - 2012-08-27

I have the Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H Motherboard. An old M-ATX board from 2007. It doesn't work well with that one either.

RE: RF remote alternative to Nyxboard ? - Ely51um - 2012-08-27

(2012-08-26, 15:32)Ned Scott Wrote: Rare or not, it's most likely not an issue for most people since they either have a motherboard that works, or being detected at boot isn't an issue because the HTPC is either on all the time or only sleeps (rather than shutting down). If it is an issue, don't look for other USB RF remotes to work.

Being someone who was affected by this issue, I tend to believe that someone either receives a faulty unit or they get one that works. I extensively tested this issue on every PC I owned (5 computers with 5 different motherboards from different manufacturers) and they all encountered the same problem - there was also another guy on Pulse-Eight's forum who tried 6 different boards with little to no success as well.

As far as I know, the only solution that will work is to leave the HTPC running 24 / 7 (which I find wasteful). I've also found that it doesn't make much difference whether you shutdown the system or put it to sleep.

(2012-08-26, 15:32)Ned Scott Wrote: I do take issue with people trying to sling mud at Pulse-Eight because their specific hardware doesn't work flawlessly, and trying to make it sound like Pulse-Eight is the ONLY ones with this issue. Get your facts straight or get out.

Clearly there are people who are frustrated with the product and with Pulse-Eight's handling of the issue.

In my own case I had been patient, and spent my free time toubleshooting the problem and giving feedback to help them narrow down the cause. After a month or so Pulse-Eight announced that they would try replacing the RF receivers of those who were affected, so I e-mailed them within the hour of the announcement and exchanged some information about my remote and I was told that they would get back to me ASAP - that was 3 months ago. Finally, out of frustration, and having no other way of getting the remote to function in a useful manner, I requested a refund - which was refused.

Perhaps my case isn't the typical experience when dealing with the Nyxboard and Pulse-Eight, but it definitely left me feeling burned in the end, especially when I had wanted to see the company succeed and was considering some of their other products.

In any case, I'm glad that there are others who received a fully functional remote who get to enjoy using it on a daily basis. The biggest disappointment for me is that I really wanted the remote to work, and I wanted to be able to recommend it to others who saw my XBMC powered home theater for their setup's as well.

RE: RF remote alternative to Nyxboard ? - smitopher - 2012-08-28

(2012-08-27, 23:49)Ely51um Wrote: Being someone who was affected by this issue, I tend to believe that someone either receives a faulty unit or they get one that works.
I got a Motorola Nyxboard Hybrid remote and it seems to work. I just wish that the Foxconn barebone I got to use it with worked better.

RE: RF remote alternative to Nyxboard ? - teaguecl - 2012-08-28

(2012-06-30, 12:15)anarchoi Wrote: Does anyone use the TiVo Slide Remote with XBMC on this forum ?
Yes, http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=79616

(2012-06-30, 12:15)anarchoi Wrote: How is it for XBMC compared to Nyxboard ?
I've never seen the Nyxboard, so I can't help you there.

(2012-06-30, 12:15)anarchoi Wrote: Is there any lag ?
No

(2012-06-30, 12:15)anarchoi Wrote: What's the maximum range ?
It uses Bluetooth, so the range isn't great. I'm getting about 10 to 12 feet, non-line-of-sight.

(2012-06-30, 12:15)anarchoi Wrote: On TiVo.com they say the remote can learn power, volume, and mute... But can I also control my cable with it ? Will i be able to switch TV channels and use the numpad to change channels ? Is there a programmable "guide" button that I can use to see the scheduled programs from my cable ?
No, it cannot control your cable box. As Tivo.com says, only a few of the buttons are reprogrammable.

I use the Tivo Slide with XBMCbuntu, and I love it. I think it will probably not be ideal for you given your questions however. It's best for very simple setups (No cable box, no AV receiver).
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=TiVo_Slide

RE: RF remote alternative to Nyxboard ? - maddog808 - 2012-08-28

(2012-08-28, 00:34)teaguecl Wrote:
(2012-06-30, 12:15)anarchoi Wrote: Does anyone use the TiVo Slide Remote with XBMC on this forum ?
Yes, http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=79616

(2012-06-30, 12:15)anarchoi Wrote: How is it for XBMC compared to Nyxboard ?
I've never seen the Nyxboard, so I can't help you there.

(2012-06-30, 12:15)anarchoi Wrote: Is there any lag ?
No

(2012-06-30, 12:15)anarchoi Wrote: What's the maximum range ?
It uses Bluetooth, so the range isn't great. I'm getting about 10 to 12 feet, non-line-of-sight.

(2012-06-30, 12:15)anarchoi Wrote: On TiVo.com they say the remote can learn power, volume, and mute... But can I also control my cable with it ? Will i be able to switch TV channels and use the numpad to change channels ? Is there a programmable "guide" button that I can use to see the scheduled programs from my cable ?
No, it cannot control your cable box. As Tivo.com says, only a few of the buttons are reprogrammable.

I use the Tivo Slide with XBMCbuntu, and I love it. I think it will probably not be ideal for you given your questions however. It's best for very simple setups (No cable box, no AV receiver).
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=TiVo_Slide

The RFS200 does everything you asked for, and the RF range is about 100 feet. It can control up to 10 components, and the one button macros are easy to program.

Good luck!!

RE: RF remote alternative to Nyxboard ? - archie456 - 2013-03-24

anarchoi and others,

Just wondering if you've found any good keyboard hybrid remote to replace the NYXBoard??

I too bought a NYXBoard, it looked to be exactly what I needed, but I had to return it due to the same problems you described... really disappointed.

I cant believe how difficult it to find a programmable hybrid remote control...

Any success stories would be good!

RE: RF remote alternative to Nyxboard ? - anarchoi - 2013-03-25

TiVo slide is a good alternative if you really need the keyboard. i almost bought it, but i finally went for an universal remote and bought an IR to RF converter so i can use it anywhere