Kodi Community Forum
Pivos Xios DS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Pivos Xios DS (/showthread.php?tid=136852)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Pivos Xios DS - AndroiDad75 - 2013-01-26

That's great to hear. I am for sure getting this then. Any little gotcha's I should know about? Like it only like H.264 files or it doesn't play this very smoothly, etc...

And is everyone throwing linux/openelec on it? No one keeping Android?

You guys have been a huge help. Wanted something for the bedroom, and the wife didn't really want a PC in there, and things like the Popcorn Hour just weren't.... well just weren't XBMC.

So I am glad this is kind of small like a Popcorn Hour, low power, etc... but totally XBMC.

EDIT: I guess what I am asking, is I have a 1:1 rip of a 1080p movie and it's bitrate looks to be 31.4 Mbps (Captain America). Will it play this over my network? Or is there a top end of the bitrate scale where it will just struggle? I looked at a movie like Behind Enemy Lines and it's bitrate was still like 18.2 Mbps.

RE: Pivos Xios DS - tennisbgc - 2013-01-26

(2013-01-25, 20:00)latex_labia Wrote:
(2013-01-25, 19:48)Robgue Wrote: Live tv is a work in progress across all platforms. But it does work.

I don't like the remote. Feels kind of cheap and not as responsive as I would like. I just use Flirc with it now. I think you can also use any wmc remote now (with wmc remote ir receiver). Of course you can use a Harmony too, it's in the Harmony remote database.

What he said regarding the remote, but for a bedroom xbmc box it works well enough (no lag). If you need more i recommend a cheap RC6 MCE setup. I do not know what PGS subs are sorry.
PGS subtitles are the native subtitles used in bluray there also called sup.Also after using the boxee box for awhile ive become fond of the rf remote are there any rf remotes that will work with this out of the box?

Re: RE: Pivos Xios DS - latex_labia - 2013-01-26

(2013-01-26, 02:07)rhmclay Wrote: That's great to hear. I am for sure getting this then. Any little gotcha's I should know about? Like it only like H.264 files or it doesn't play this very smoothly, etc...

And is everyone throwing linux/openelec on it? No one keeping Android?

You guys have been a huge help. Wanted something for the bedroom, and the wife didn't really want a PC in there, and things like the Popcorn Hour just weren't.... well just weren't XBMC.

So I am glad this is kind of small like a Popcorn Hour, low power, etc... but totally XBMC.

EDIT: I guess what I am asking, is I have a 1:1 rip of a 1080p movie and it's bitrate looks to be 31.4 Mbps (Captain America). Will it play this over my network? Or is there a top end of the bitrate scale where it will just struggle? I looked at a movie like Behind Enemy Lines and it's bitrate was still like 18.2 Mbps.

I don't see why that file/type wouldn't play.

I run the Linux build on mine because it loads faster and I have no requirement for anything android on the box right now, but I have the option if I ever do.

Buy it, if it doesn't work out return it (newegg).

RE: Pivos Xios DS - AndroiDad75 - 2013-01-27

(2013-01-26, 06:00)latex_labia Wrote: Buy it, if it doesn't work out return it (newegg).

Yeah, I was just trying to avoid that if I could help it. Hate returning stuff Big Grin

But I guess it's the only way to tell. Just wasn't sure if you guys would say hey, don't try to stream from your network for 1080p if your files are "x" or "y", because it will just get mad at you and throw up...Rofl

I'll put in an order and give it a go.

Thanks everyone!!!

RE: Pivos Xios DS - CruNcher - 2013-01-27

(2013-01-24, 17:17)davilla Wrote: grrr, sorry, I don't run chrome and cannot download the file from mega. please use something more universal like dropbox Smile

wget is never too old Smile

Here it is https://dl.dropbox.com/s/1g9tvbr2f59cjh5/test.mkv?dl=1

RE: Pivos Xios DS - EarnheadJ - 2013-01-27

(2013-01-25, 02:14)rhmclay Wrote: Guys. I have a question. I want a box that I can put in the bedroom for the wife and I. I would like to hook it up to my network, via Cat5e, to stream the movies from my WHS2011. I ripped all the movies, BluRay & DVD, 1:1 using makemkv. My question is, will I just be able to plug this into the TV and be able to play my files?

I was looking at the Raspberry Pi, but it will not play the audio, unless I add a new audio track since it can't decode DTS or Dolby. I do not have an AVR in the bedroom, so would really like to be able to plug something into the TV via HDMI and not have to purchase a receiver.

Will this work for that?

This is exactly why I bought mine, to put in extra bedroom and stream content from main computer. Hdmi only to tv and everything plays through tv speakers. Haven't found anything that I have that it won't play. Could not be happier. Great support over at the Pivos forums too.

(2013-01-27, 03:38)EarnheadJ Wrote:
(2013-01-25, 02:14)rhmclay Wrote: Guys. I have a question. I want a box that I can put in the bedroom for the wife and I. I would like to hook it up to my network, via Cat5e, to stream the movies from my WHS2011. I ripped all the movies, BluRay & DVD, 1:1 using makemkv. My question is, will I just be able to plug this into the TV and be able to play my files?

I was looking at the Raspberry Pi, but it will not play the audio, unless I add a new audio track since it can't decode DTS or Dolby. I do not have an AVR in the bedroom, so would really like to be able to plug something into the TV via HDMI and not have to purchase a receiver.

Will this work for that?

This is exactly why I bought mine, to put in extra bedroom and stream content from main computer. Hdmi only to tv and everything plays through tv speakers. Haven't found anything that I have that it won't play. Could not be happier. Great support over at the Pivos forums too.

That's great to hear Earnheadj. So do you stream full 1080p from your computer? No hiccups or anything. I am putting in my order tomorrow morning, along with a MicroSD card.

RE: Pivos Xios DS - EarnheadJ - 2013-01-27

(2013-01-27, 04:58)rhmclay Wrote:
(2013-01-27, 03:38)EarnheadJ Wrote:

Will this work for that?

That's great to hear Earnheadj. So do you stream full 1080p from your computer? No hiccups or anything. I am putting in my order tomorrow morning, along with a MicroSD card.

Yes but my 1080p aren't full 1:1 copies. They are usually 15 gb or less. No hiccups with those. And I have ethernet in the spare bedroom through a netgear powerline adapter so probably not as much throughput as being direct ethernet. Works great though

Yeah that's what is scaring me - the 1:1 copies. Almost all my BluRays are 18GB or more. Some as much as 32GB. I know the file size isn't particularly the limiting factor, it's the bitrate, but still the larger BluRays typically have the highest bitrates.

Well the order is in and should be here by Feb 2nd, or so it says!!!

Re: RE: Pivos Xios DS - latex_labia - 2013-01-27

(2013-01-27, 15:47)rhmclay Wrote: Yeah that's what is scaring me - the 1:1 copies. Almost all my BluRays are 18GB or more. Some as much as 32GB. I know the file size isn't particularly the limiting factor, it's the bitrate, but still the larger BluRays typically have the highest bitrates.

Should play fine.

RE: Pivos Xios DS - CruNcher - 2013-01-28

@davilla

i let another user with a Amlogic device also made the test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBzKyj-9b2M

the result is very nice it beats my RK 3066 1.4 GHz VPU result it looks pretty realtime Smile

Though im not 100% sure as the Youtube Video Recording is not the same Framerate as the Video on the Display (most probably not in Sync 60 vs 30 fps cheap handycam) and it's Refreshrate (it's faster)

RE: Pivos Xios DS - tennisbgc - 2013-01-28

(2013-01-27, 17:29)rhmclay Wrote: Well the order is in and should be here by Feb 2nd, or so it says!!!
Where did you order yours from? Amazon isn't selling them directly at the moment at least.

RE: Pivos Xios DS - AndroiDad75 - 2013-01-28

(2013-01-28, 02:56)tennisbgc Wrote: Where did you order yours from? Amazon isn't selling them directly at the moment at least.

I got mine from Amazon. Here is the link: Linky

It's gone up $5 since I bought it this morning.

RE: Pivos Xios DS - tennisbgc - 2013-01-28

(2013-01-28, 03:29)rhmclay Wrote:
(2013-01-28, 02:56)tennisbgc Wrote: Where did you order yours from? Amazon isn't selling them directly at the moment at least.

I got mine from Amazon. Here is the link: Linky

It's gone up $5 since I bought it this morning.
yeah thats the one I saw but I thought amazon had one they sold directly through amazon.