Kodi Community Forum
Win Rom Collection Browser n00b Tutorial please! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: Win Rom Collection Browser n00b Tutorial please! (/showthread.php?tid=137331)

Rom Collection Browser n00b Tutorial please! - stone2 - 2012-08-01

Hi,
I am trying to get my mame roms to play using this add-on and for all the searching and researching on google I can't for the life of me understand how to get it running.
It would be great if someone could post a real simple tutorial with all the steps involved particulary for mame. I have the RCB installed on XBMC but just can't get the games or the emulator setup.
Its not like I have no experience with modding, I have hard modded an xbox and managed to get everything working and I have a kickass xbmc htcp connected to my tv but I just don't understand how to get RCB to work.
I have read all the tutorials available but none are really easy to understand.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RE: Rom Collection Browser n00b Tutorial please! - Stildawn - 2012-08-02

I to would appreciate a tutorial (step by step) for this also, I don't sound as set up as the OP, but its something I was thinking about getting into for my daughters sake lol.

RE: Rom Collection Browser n00b Tutorial please! - stone2 - 2012-08-02

Yay, that's two of us Sad

RE: Rom Collection Browser n00b Tutorial please! - Deano316 - 2012-08-02

I struggled to get RCB to work and moved to Advanced Launcher instead. It's a lot easier to get results Wink

RE: Rom Collection Browser n00b Tutorial please! - stone2 - 2012-08-02

Thanks I'll give it a go

RE: Rom Collection Browser n00b Tutorial please! - stone2 - 2012-08-03

Can someon please tell me which mame emulator to download and if there should be a correct install path, I'm still haveing major probs getting this to work.
I know...I'm a n00b Smile

RE: Rom Collection Browser n00b Tutorial please! - Angelscry - 2012-08-03

(2012-08-03, 05:55)stone2 Wrote: Can someon please tell me which mame emulator to download and if there should be a correct install path, I'm still haveing major probs getting this to work.
I know...I'm a n00b Smile
You will found information here :

For Windows : http://www.gwenael.org/xbmc/index.php?title=MAME_-_Windows#Windows
For Linux : http://www.gwenael.org/xbmc/index.php?title=MAME_/_XMAME_/_SDLMAME#Linux

It's always better to use the original version of MAME.

RE: Rom Collection Browser n00b Tutorial please! - stone2 - 2012-08-06

Thanks for your help but I've read those links and I'm still no closer to getting this to work.
Wish someone could post a tutorial for idiots Smile

RE: Rom Collection Browser n00b Tutorial please! - malte - 2012-08-08

stone2 Wrote:It would be great if someone could post a real simple tutorial with all the steps involved particulary for mame. I have the RCB installed on XBMC but just can't get the games or the emulator setup.
Its not like I have no experience with modding, I have hard modded an xbox and managed to get everything working and I have a kickass xbmc htcp connected to my tv but I just don't understand how to get RCB to work.
I have read all the tutorials available but none are really easy to understand.
To get you started with RCB the First use guide should be all that you need to get your games imported. There is also a video that shows you the process of creating Rom Collections.

To get this working with ALA you should read through the guides that Angelscry has linked in his signature.

To get MAME working from XBMC (does not matter if RCB or ALA) Angelscry already mentioned his guide to set up MAME on Linux or Windows. All installations that I did myself I could get working with following these instruction step by step.

As you see there are lots of tutorials available. Just asking for new ones will not solve your issue(s). But you could maybe help to improve the existing tutorials if you point out what is missing, what you don't understand or what is not working on your system. Is your problem MAME or RCB/ALA? Can you launch MAME games from command line (outside XBMC)? Where does it stop for you? Importing games, launching games? Do you get an error message?

With these informations we could try to solve your issues and get our guides more robust against misunderstanding.

RE: Rom Collection Browser n00b Tutorial please! - tranceology3 - 2012-08-25

I have a question about loading mame games as well, I figured I would ask here, since it seems most relevant.

I have successfully been able to load up multiple games using the guide on advanced launcher wiki to setup mame with the correct args, etc... The problem I am having is that every time I start up mame through the -inipath "mame ini path" "%rom%" argument, it doesnt load my default CFG file. The file that saves all my configured button maps. When I load through the actual mame.exe file it loads them just fine, but like I said, not through the arg.

I am using eden xbmc, with rcb, and mameplus.

RE: Rom Collection Browser n00b Tutorial please! - Angelscry - 2012-08-25

Where is located your mame.ini file? If it is working correctly out of XBMC, so mame.ini file must be located into the same directory than the mame executable file (mame.exe). So arguments must be something like this :

Code:
-inipath "C:\Program Files\mame" "%rom%"

If the mame.ini file is into the C:\Program Files\mame directory.
I'm not sure if RCB support it, but you may be also able to define executable path using %appath% like this :

Code:
-inipath "%appath%" "%rom%"

RE: Rom Collection Browser n00b Tutorial please! - tranceology3 - 2012-08-26

To make things simple I moved everything into C:\Program Files\mame

I have my code set exactly like above, and it loads the rom into mame through RCB just fine. However, I am having the same problem where its not loading my default.cfg, which contains my custom button layouts.

When running outside of RCB it loads my custom buttons just fine.

Is my mame.ini not loading my customized default.cfg? It seems that mame reverts back to its original button layout whenever I run the argument in RCB.

The ultimate problem is I cannot insert a coin, and start the game in mame with my Xbox Controller. I have to hit 6 then 1 on my keyboard to start a game, which defeats the purpose of an Xbox Controller.

RE: Rom Collection Browser n00b Tutorial please! - Angelscry - 2012-08-26

Why haven't you simply change the arguments with the right pah? Copy/paste installed MAME application to another directory will surely fix your problem but will generate other errors. If the default.cfg file is supposed to be present in the installation directory of MAME, and if you have move this directory to another place, that's normal that MAME is not able to found it anymore and assign correctly your custom buttons. BTW, you can define where is located your cfg directory like this :

Code:
-inipath "C:\Program Files\mame" -cfg_directory "C:\Program Files\mame\cfg" "%rom%"

For your Xbox controller problem, assing the coin and start action to back and start buttons for exemple using MAME general input menu :

I only changed the path to C:\ so I could test, I still kept my original path, and had the correct inipath in the argument, and I was getting those same errors.

I am going to to try the new code for my cgf file, and those buttons maps are how had them configured, just never can get them to load, I hope this works!. Thanks for the help Smile

You are a hero, it works!