Kodi Community Forum
unRAID transfer speed - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: unRAID transfer speed (/showthread.php?tid=139337)

Pages: 1 2 3

unRAID transfer speed - jangjong - 2012-08-29

Hi Guys,

I just had a quick question for unraid users in this forum.
What is the transfer speed you get with your unraid machine?

I don't use a cache drive.. and i get about 15 - 16 mb/s when transferring files TO unraid.

I don't really care about transfer speed TO unraid though since I usually download stuff directly to unraid machine.
I'm interested in what you guys get when transferring files FROM the unraid machine.

When I tested mine yesterday, I was getting mixed result.. sometime it would hit 50 mb/s - 70 mb/s, but then sometimes it would go below 10 mb/s..

I am using Asus RT-N56U, but thinking about getting a separate gigabit switch to connect all my wired devices (unraid, htpc, desktop)..

So.. what do you guys usually get when you transfer file from unraid?

RE: unRAID transfer speed - CpTHOOK - 2012-08-29

Tranferring from unRAID, my speeds are phenominal to both my HTPC's using Patriot Pyro SSD's.. around 90MB/s

RE: unRAID transfer speed - Mick1152 - 2012-08-29

From my unRAID, depending on which computer in the house I'm on, I get between 60mbps to 90ish mbps. I have two older computers that get the lower end of the speed around 60 to 70mpbs. I'm not sure if it's the older hardware or the network cable wiring to those locations that are the problem. Admittedly I did not do such a great job running the wire under the house and a staple or two may have punctured the wire since I had 1.5 feet of space to work in, in the dark, WITH SPIDERS!!!!!!!!

None of my systems, even the lower transfer speed ones have any problem with playback so it's enough speed.

RE: unRAID transfer speed - Inexistence - 2012-08-30

(2012-08-29, 22:28)jangjong Wrote: Hi Guys,

I just had a quick question for unraid users in this forum.
What is the transfer speed you get with your unraid machine?

I don't use a cache drive.. and i get about 15 - 16 mb/s when transferring files TO unraid.

I don't really care about transfer speed TO unraid though since I usually download stuff directly to unraid machine.
I'm interested in what you guys get when transferring files FROM the unraid machine.

When I tested mine yesterday, I was getting mixed result.. sometime it would hit 50 mb/s - 70 mb/s, but then sometimes it would go below 10 mb/s..

I am using Asus RT-N56U, but thinking about getting a separate gigabit switch to connect all my wired devices (unraid, htpc, desktop)..

So.. what do you guys usually get when you transfer file from unraid?

Are you talking wired or wireless in your transfer? Wired 10/100 switch?

RE: unRAID transfer speed - jangjong - 2012-08-30

(2012-08-30, 21:53)Inexistence Wrote: Are you talking wired or wireless in your transfer? Wired 10/100 switch?

Wired. I am using a gigabit router right now, but I was talking about how i'm thinking about getting a gigabit switch.

Just ordered a gigabit switch though... we will see if this improves anything.

(2012-08-30, 22:09)jangjong Wrote:
(2012-08-30, 21:53)Inexistence Wrote: Are you talking wired or wireless in your transfer? Wired 10/100 switch?

Wired. I am using a gigabit router right now, but I was talking about how i'm thinking about getting a gigabit switch.

Just ordered a gigabit switch though... we will see if this improves anything.

My bet not much improvement. Unraid is slow. But usually does not make a difference since only a few devices access it at one time.

RE: unRAID transfer speed - Beer40oz - 2012-08-30

30 to 45 MB /s depends on how big the file is. I also have a gigabit router (witch I just got) but it has it's problems. It used to stutter/buffer once in a while (a vid).... but a switch fixed it... I knew it was the router since before I was using the switch and had no problems at all....

I am not using a cache drive.

RE: unRAID transfer speed - technocoma - 2012-08-30

25-35mb per second with no cache drive.

I'm running a fully virtualized unraid server with 18 drives atm around 30tb of storage and the only time I used to get a slow down in read/writes was when i was getting disable IRQ errors but changing a few settings sorted that.

I dont believe its that issue because you don't have a massive difference in speed like would expect with the above error.

(2012-08-30, 23:10)technocoma Wrote: 25-35mb per second with no cache drive.

I'm running a fully virtualized unraid server with 18 drives atm around 30tb of storage and the only time I used to get a slow down in read/writes was when i was getting disable IRQ errors but changing a few settings sorted that.

I dont believe its that issue because you don't have a massive difference in speed like would expect with the above error.

18 drives! Now that is something! Today I was reading about MTTF. Makes me fear trusting my RAID.

RE: unRAID transfer speed - snowboarder33 - 2012-08-31

So what networking equipment would you guys suggest (somewhat lower budget-like)? From my limited knowledge on this subject (just reading this topic) it would seem that more of the investment should weigh towards a better switch rather than the router, would that be correct?

RE: unRAID transfer speed - Beer40oz - 2012-08-31

(2012-08-31, 03:31)snowboarder33 Wrote: So what networking equipment would you guys suggest (somewhat lower budget-like)? From my limited knowledge on this subject (just reading this topic) it would seem that more of the investment should weigh towards a better switch rather than the router, would that be correct?

If you have a good router gigabit and everything work's fine then you don't need a switch. If you transfer a 4-8 gig file what speeds you get?

I wen't and took a look at your Asus RT-N56U it seems to be an ok router but seems some people have trouble with the firmware.

I really can't say what is your bottle neck... I guess you can try out a switch. Maybe your cat wire is broken? You are using cat5e or cat6?

I use the D-Link DGS-1005G Gigabit Desktop Switch and it works wonders... they also make an 8 port switch is on sale I think.

But there is this one also and it's cheaper.. $15 off at the moment and I heard people have a good experience from it...
TRENDnet

RE: unRAID transfer speed - jangjong - 2012-08-31

(2012-08-31, 08:12)Beer40oz Wrote: If you have a good router gigabit and everything work's fine then you don't need a switch. If you transfer a 4-8 gig file what speeds you get?

I wen't and took a look at your Asus RT-N56U it seems to be an ok router but seems some people have trouble with the firmware.

I really can't say what is your bottle neck... I guess you can try out a switch. Maybe your cat wire is broken? You are using cat5e or cat6?

I use the D-Link DGS-1005G Gigabit Desktop Switch and it works wonders... they also make an 8 port switch is on sale I think.

But there is this one also and it's cheaper.. $15 off at the moment and I heard people have a good experience from it...
TRENDnet

Guessing you're talking to me since you mentioned n56u lol.
Anyway, I am using the custom firmware for n56u but it's ehh.. hah
i ordered that TRENDnet switch.. so we will see if it get any improvement.

RE: unRAID transfer speed - GortWillSaveUs - 2012-08-31

(2012-08-30, 23:37)Inexistence Wrote:
(2012-08-30, 23:10)technocoma Wrote: 25-35mb per second with no cache drive.

18 drives! Now that is something! Today I was reading about MTTF. Makes me fear trusting my RAID.

MTTF (Mean Time to Failure) or MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) is something I am very familiar with and create reports every week.
It is nothing to fear. You're dealing with odds,..and the odds are on your side.
The chances that you'll lose 2 drives at the exact same time are pretty rare.
With unRaid,...even if you lose 2 drives,..the world has not come to an end,..since you can recover a good portion of your data.
Not so with RAID5,..if you lose 2 drives you're toast.

That's why big corporations use RAID and also backup their data.

RE: unRAID transfer speed - Inexistence - 2012-08-31

This is gig and cheap. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704042

Looking for more? What's the budget?

Also.... Transferring 146gb from laptop hd to USB drive was only 24mb/second today. Just for ref. usb2 and sata 5400 rpm

Here is my switch.

And patch panel.

RE: unRAID transfer speed - malibu327 - 2012-08-31

What you got on POE?