Kodi Community Forum
Win [Solved] Frodo nightly breaks GUI sounds - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: Win [Solved] Frodo nightly breaks GUI sounds (/showthread.php?tid=139542)

Pages: 1 2

[Solved] Frodo nightly breaks GUI sounds - cactus99 - 2012-09-01

Edit: Changed the subject since it turned out it's only the GUI sounds which are broken, not the video audio.

Hey

Just wanted to report the latest nightly of Frodo ( 2012-Sep-01 ) breaks the audio. Couldn't get a sound out of XBMC.
Reinstalled the previous nightly and the audio returned.

My audio settings are
  • HDMI
  • Directsound HDMI - AMD HDMI
  • The rest of the audio options are disabled

/Cactus

RE: Frodo nightly breaks audio - DDDamian - 2012-09-01

Thx cactus99 - added a feature set for suspending / resuming audio and it exposed a few issue - working on it now

RE: Frodo nightly breaks audio - thrak76 - 2012-09-01

The suspend function has been merged now, as of the Sept 1 nightly?

RE: Frodo nightly breaks audio - DDDamian - 2012-09-01

thrak76 - indeed it has. Just fyi there's a new advancedsettings.xml tag:

Code:
<audio>
   <streamsilence>0</streamsilence>
</audio>

If not present or false (0) AudioEngine will go into a suspend state when there are no playing streams or GUI sounds, saving power and releasing the WASAPI exclusive sink so external players can get access to the audio device.

If true it restores the previous AE behaviour of running constantly (even if silent) for less receiver / sink switches and a faster response on starting a stream.

RE: Frodo nightly breaks audio - cactus99 - 2012-09-02

(2012-09-01, 22:13)DDDamian Wrote: thrak76 - indeed it has. Just fyi there's a new advancedsettings.xml tag:

Code:
<audio>
   <streamsilence>0</streamsilence>
</audio>

If not present or false (0) AudioEngine will go into a suspend state when there are no playing streams or GUI sounds, saving power and releasing the WASAPI exclusive sink so external players can get access to the audio device.

If true it restores the previous AE behaviour of running constantly (even if silent) for lese receiver / sink switches and a faster response on starting a stream.

Just installed the nightly of today ( 2012-Sept-02 ). Freshly installed there was no audio, similar to yesterday's nightly.
But when adding the following to advancedsettings.xml I got audio:

Code:
<audio>
   <streamsilence>1</streamsilence>
</audio>
Please note I had to set streamsilence to true.

Is it really supposed to work this way? Do you really have to add an entry to the AdvancedSettings to get the audio to work? Shouldn't that setting work the other way around?

/Cactus

Addition to my previous post.

My setup is using two profiles, with an exclusive AdvancedSettings.xml for each of them. When switching profile the audio is vanishing, no matter what setting I use for Streamsilence in Advanced settings.

RE: Frodo nightly breaks audio - DDDamian - 2012-09-02

@cactus99 - can you post a Debug Log using the profile which is *not* working?

I had actually already reinstalled the previous nightly. But as I always have debug log enabled while I'm using the nigthlies, fortunately I had a debug log stored on disk.

http://pastebin.com/uq6aX59h

This is what I have experienced so far:
  • Starting XBMC into the master profile (with entry in AdvancedSettings) -> Audio
  • Switching to secondary profile -> No audio
  • Switching back to the master profile -> No audio

Glad if I can be of any assistance!

/Cactus

@cactus99 - not seeing much irregular in the log except lots of:
1017.14:20:40 T:3608 DEBUG: CSoftAE::FinalizeSamples - Clamping buffer of 882 samples

That at least indicates the stream is playing and the engine is running.

It's working here on my end with <streamsilence> enabled or disabled, DirectSound or Wasapi.

I'm also using Win7 x64. Perhaps try the Wasapi driver and see if there's any difference.

Ok, back using the latest nightly, but without any additional entry in AdvancedSettings.

I just realised I had only checked the GUI sounds. These are the ones which are vanishing. Video plays OK - and with audio - in both profiles.

/Cactus

Glad to hear it - enjoy Smile

(2012-09-02, 17:18)DDDamian Wrote: Glad to hear it - enjoy Smile

Well - the problem is not solved. It's the GUI sounds which have now gone silent in both profiles, and that's why I probably reacted so quickly earlier. I'm used to hear a "click" when I navigate through the menu, and now suddenly there were no sounds.
  • Starting XBMC into the master profile WITH additional entry in Advanced Settings -> GUI sounds works, Video audio OK.
  • Starting XBMC into the master profile WITHOUT additional entry in Advanced Settings -> No GUI sounds, Video audio OK.
  • Switching to seconday profile -> No GUI sounds, Video audio OK
  • Switching back to the maste profile -> No GUI sounds, Video audio OK

/Cactus

RE: [Solved] [Still issues] Frodo nightly breaks GUI sounds - DDDamian - 2012-09-02

@cactus99 - responded to your pm's. Now that the thread title has been changed to reflect GUI sounds as opposed to all audio I'll mark this back as unresolved.

Profiles should not have any effect on the audio code per se, only your setup for each profile whether its an advancedsetting.xml or guisetting.xml should affect it, same as single profile setups.

Check the differences between them.

For anyone else following or stumbling on this thread: it is quite likely that the new advanced setting <streamsilence> will have an effect on GUI sounds. If set to 0 or not set at all, Eden-style behaviour (stop audio streaming and close the sink when nothing playing) is used. When a sound plays it may be too brief to be heard as the sink has to initialize and possibly your receiver or audio device has to decipher the incoming stream and switch.

Looking for a way to resolve that.

Cactus, if you discover what is differnent between your profiles let us know.

RE: Frodo nightly breaks GUI sounds - cactus99 - 2012-09-09

Hello

I would like to give some new feedback on this issue. As of the latest nightly (2012-Sept-09), the GUI sounds returned to Confluence. There seems however still to be some minor hickups:
  • The first time I went into System Settings -> Audio, the GUI sounds stopped working when exiting the menu. This has however only happened once so far.
  • When scrolling fast through the menus, it seems the GUI sounds are having problems keeping up with the User Interface. Quite often there will be a slight delay for a click sound, and that delayed click sound will also be louder.

It's possible these issues are caused by my low-end system (AMD E-450).

Kind regards
/Cactus

RE: Frodo nightly breaks GUI sounds - DDDamian - 2012-09-09

Hi cactus99,

For each system event the GUI sound is added to a "playlist" of sounds, so fast-scrolling thru menus adds each new sound, and can overlap other sounds. That is by design. Multiple sounds and streams can all be mixed together in AE. The louder clicks are overlapped sounds.

We don't slow down the UI to make each sound play completely, and the UI can get ahead of the sounds depending on the length of the sound. Again, by design - you don't wait for each beep before moving on with the user's commands. The only way to "keep up" with the GUI is wait for each sound to finish, which would be silly.

In that regard it will be somewhat system dependent. If you are using wasapi keeping the buffers relatively small will also help: <audiosinkbufferdurationmsec>50</audiosinkbufferdurationmsec>