Kodi Community Forum
Best Optimized hardware for an Openelec Box - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Best Optimized hardware for an Openelec Box (/showthread.php?tid=141645)

Best Optimized hardware for an Openelec Box - lelloz - 2012-09-30

Hi Everyone,
after trying to turn an ATV2 and a RPi into my definitive openelec/xbmc appliance, i've noticed that the two solutions are too slow (rpi) to play and stream 1080p (atv2) content from a beautiful skin like Aeon Nox/MQ.

Before that, i used as my primarly openelec box an Asus barebone with Atom D525 + NG-ION which was perfect because of the IR integrated. But i sold it to test ATV2 and Raspberry Pi, since i thought they were more appropriate. But i was wrong.

Now i'm back where i started and i'm trying to figure out which can be the best HW all-in-one platform solution to build my definitive openelec appliance fully working with an harmony remote (power on/power off).

My goal is to turn on and use the box with my harmony remote like any other media player or appliance. Nothing more. No other features or stuff.

Looking around i found these major two platforms :

- INTEL/NVIDIA D2700 + GT520
- AMD E450

Now i have an Acer Revo 3600 with 2GB of RAM and 64GB SSD but it is laggy and i cannot power on from my harmony remote.

So, i'm in the market for another barebone/box with IR integrated which has no problem to delivery the best performance with openelec + aeon nox. Months ago the AMD platform were not tuned with openelec since amd lack of linux driver, but what about now? Suggestions?

RE: Best Optimized hardware for an Openelec Box - Vogon8 - 2012-11-06

I'm looking for the exact same thing: XBMC as a quick-booting, reliable media appliance, controllable (including being turned on and off) with a Harmony remote. The smaller, quieter and cooler the better (not much space in equipment cupboard). Addons such as iplayer, you tube etc need to work work, as does Airplay. 1080p streaming from a SMB share desired.

Can anyone help?

RE: Best Optimized hardware for an Openelec Box - aptalca - 2012-11-07

(2012-09-30, 10:21)lelloz Wrote: So, i'm in the market for another barebone/box with IR integrated which has no problem to delivery the best performance with openelec + aeon nox. Months ago the AMD platform were not tuned with openelec since amd lack of linux driver, but what about now? Suggestions?

I just put openelec 2.0 on my box that is running on A6-3500 and Asrock A75m-itx mobo.

I use the generic build off of a flash drive. Database is mysql, thumbs are local (synced via rsync)

Media playback is flawless. 24p works without the audio sync issue unlike on win7. I haven't tried any ota tv recordings or anything that was interlaced, so I cannot comment on that, but scene 720p and 1080p releases work without problems.

For menu sounds, it works just fine with audio through hdmi, but there is a problem with audio through optical spdif. For some reason, the beginning of each sound is getting cut off (only for menu sounds, not media playback) That is the only issue I have had.

The best thing about Asrock mobos is that the newer ones with uefi bios have the option to power on from S5 with some ir mce dongles without being hooked up to a CIR header (I have tried the original MS version and the new rosewill version that they have a thread about in the hardware section. they both work when connected to any one of the USB 2.0 ports). Now I can use openelec as a true appliance with true on/off through the remote.