Kodi Community Forum
XBMC v12 (Frodo) upgrade FAQ - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: XBMC v12 (Frodo) upgrade FAQ (/showthread.php?tid=145512)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

XBMC v12 (Frodo) upgrade FAQ - Ned Scott - 2012-11-18

See: XBMC v12 (Frodo) FAQ (wiki) - Frequently Asked Questions for upgrading to XBMC v12 (Frodo), including how to enable some of the new features, where some controls got moved to, etc.

NOTE: This thread is about improving the Frodo FAQ. It is not for troubleshooting. Unless it's directly related to the FAQ (such as clarifying instructions on the FAQ, an issue you think should be included, etc) don't post it in this thread and start a new thread instead.

Last time for XBMC Eden we did an "Upgrade FAQ" at XBMC v11 (Eden) FAQ (wiki), and that seemed to work pretty well. The main aim is to answer questions for people who are coming from the last version to the new version. This includes things that have changed, moved, anticipated features (not not a full list of all changes, since we have a changelog page for that), common/known issues, and also to serve as a gateway to new pages/areas on the wiki that go into further detail.

Using the Eden FAQ as a starting point, and adding some stuff that I could think of + some feedback from some of the other Team members just now, we now have a Frodo FAQ

The question now is, what's missing? What should be added/removed/changed/made clearer? Feel free to edit the page directly or mention what you think should be changed in this thread.

RE: XBMC v12 (Frodo) upgrade FAQ - Dilligaf - 2012-11-18

Section 1.7 should add http remote apps will no longer work unless the developer has updated them to JSON

RE: XBMC v12 (Frodo) upgrade FAQ - WeirdH - 2012-11-18

What entries in advancedsettings.xml will be obsolete/redundant? I read that dirtyregions is now a standard setting, so should it be removed from my adv.settings? And anything else in this regard.

RE: XBMC v12 (Frodo) upgrade FAQ - thrak76 - 2012-11-18

(2012-11-18, 02:59)WeirdH Wrote: What entries in advancedsettings.xml will be obsolete/redundant? I read that dirtyregions is now a standard setting, so should it be removed from my adv.settings? And anything else in this regard.

Here's a deprecated AS.xml entry:

Code:
<recentlyaddeditems>35</recentlyaddeditems> <!-- number of recently added items. Defaults to 25 -->

RE: XBMC v12 (Frodo) upgrade FAQ - jmarshall - 2012-11-18

The advancedsettings (wiki) page has some notes on what is been deprecated, though it will no doubt need some updating.

thrak76: actually, I think that one might have been reverted, so that the inconsistency between home + library is repaired.

RE: XBMC v12 (Frodo) upgrade FAQ - Ned Scott - 2012-11-18

(2012-11-18, 02:59)WeirdH Wrote: What entries in advancedsettings.xml will be obsolete/redundant? I read that dirtyregions is now a standard setting, so should it be removed from my adv.settings? And anything else in this regard.

It has a new default, but you might still want to keep your existing settings. The default is mode 3, which will reduce CPU load, but won't make the GUI any faster (it's considered the safest mode for all the various GPUs out there). If you're using anything other than mode 3 in order to make the GUI more efficient, then you will want to keep it.

Added smartphone remote entry and Dirty Regions entry.

RE: XBMC v12 (Frodo) upgrade FAQ - scott967 - 2012-11-18

Thanks for the FAQ. It did answer one question I had concerning skin settings.

All this time I thought that the new "video tags" was something like the ability to read tags in MP4 or MKV files, but unfortunately, I see now that isn't the case.

On a general note the FAQ seems to ignore musicvideo, but that seems to be a problem I have with the wiki overall.

scott s.

As in, there are changes to music videos in v12 or just in general?

RE: XBMC v12 (Frodo) upgrade FAQ - artrafael - 2012-11-18

Maybe it should be mentioned somewhere that, since Confluence now uses a static background image, there are no longer GUI options to customize the background image for each of the main menu options (i.e., you can only change the single image)?

RE: XBMC v12 (Frodo) upgrade FAQ - un1versal - 2012-11-18

@ned

Been trying to wrap my head and tiny brain around some templates, (creating improving existing for better formatting reasons) such as whats used in this one.

The problem is for me while reading an article like that there links (shortcuts) to the right in minuscule text, there's various templates that exhibit this "behaviour". and are used all over.

I cant fix that and have 0 clew or experience in that. If this could be improved and the shortcuts right aligned perhaps so ppl dont miss them? (whatever solution is best besides leaving it)

I have added to FAQ pages some problematic installs workaround as artrafael posted in somewhere a couple of days ago. I thought it wise to keep in case, it can easily be ripped out if its not needed.

@scott967

I would be happy to add the missing "music-videos" part to FAQ or other parts, however I dont use music videos myself and have no idea how it works.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Music_videos thats referred/linked by other pages

Feel free to join wiki and fill that up.

uNi

I'm not aware of any issues with the FAQ template and the shortcut links. Looks fine to me.

text look minuscule in my firefox literally this size

Other templates do similar things see this one for a fantastic example http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Template:Code

I cant fix that minuscule text, its barely unreadable and it gets used a lot.

Sorry for Offtopic.

uNi

RE: XBMC v12 (Frodo) upgrade FAQ - jjd-uk - 2012-11-18

I've signed up to the wiki but how do you edit it as all pages show protected?

I wanted to help improve the documentation for AE, particularly for XBMC running on Windows, since a lot of problems are being reported that are down to incorrect settings at both the OS & XBMC level.

You have to confirm your registration via email you get. Only then you will be able to see the edit for "most" pages.

* un1versal is slowly sifting through the wiki, there's tons of stuff need adding/correcting and updating, given I'm a Linux+xbmc guy, Windows is really beyond me in the setting up xbmc world.

Make sure anything you edit add/update is clear what OS its for. Wink

Really could use another pair of hands and brain. Wink

uNi