Kodi Community Forum
(How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon MQ (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: (How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4 (/showthread.php?tid=150934)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: (How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4 - Samu-rai - 2013-09-16

It sounds like it may be a skin bug, although I can't confirm 100% atm.

You could consider using ACE until MQ5 is on general release.

RE: (How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4 - CrashnBrn - 2013-09-16

(2013-09-16, 18:53)Samu-rai Wrote: It sounds like it may be a skin bug, although I can't confirm 100% atm.

You could consider using ACE until MQ5 is on general release.

Hey Samu-rai you've been super helpful thus far! That's a good idea, I'll test with another skin and report back.

RE: (How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4 - Samu-rai - 2013-09-16

No problem. Thanks for the rep!

RE: (How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4 - CrashnBrn - 2013-09-17

(2013-09-16, 22:59)Samu-rai Wrote: No problem. Thanks for the rep!

It was in fact a skin bug. It works fine with Ace!

RE: (How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4 - Samu-rai - 2013-09-17

Thought it might be. I'd stick with ACE for the time being then.

It's a great skin, and MQ5 is based on the same code, so if you get used to that then it will make using MQ5 easier once it's released.

RE: (How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4 - Buff - 2013-10-07

Just wanted to thank Samu-rai for his excellent write up - after months of meaning to, I eventually got round to doing this (as the kids are really starting to get too inquisitive now!) and although I'm using MQ5, this was of great help, as the process is very similar.

Thought I would share what I've done a little, as it is slightly different - I moved out the movies (& TV shows) that I was happy for the kids to browse and watch. This took far less time than I thought it would, partly because; as I wasn't moving them to a different drive, just a different folder on the same drive, there was no time taken up moving them. It also didn't take long going through the movies and deciding which ones the kids could watch - I have always had my movies sorted into different folders for genre, so it was quick to just pick the whole of Animation and the whole of Family and then go through the odd ones in Action (Indiana Jones etc..), Fantasy (Harry Potter etc..) and Science-Fiction (Star Wars etc..) that I was happy for them to watch.

With that done and adding the new sources to XBMC I then had to tackle these smart playlists, which were all new to me - personally, I couldn't get on with the suggested path contains and then browse for the source (they just wouldn't show up!), so instead, I did path contains and simply wrote "Kids". For each of the new folders that the kids movies were put in earlier, I had named them Kids Blu-Ray, Kids DVDs and Kids HDTV etc... so this worked like a treat and this smart playlist was added to the main menu.

The next issue was that of genre - I've always tended to initially search for movies via genre (sometimes year for myself) and the kids seem to have copied this approach. For Animation and Family films it was easy as I could simply create a smart playlist where genre is Animation etc... and then add this video playlist as a sub menu entry under the Kids Movies main menu item.

For the other genres, where I didn't want every movie to be shown from that genre, I created a smart playlist for each with the genre rule and an additional rule with path contains "Kids" and then added them to the submenu;

I could've used the tags feature, but this would have taken longer, although I might use it for say Pixar/DreamWorks movies etc... in the future.

So, the kids now have 6 genres to browse when finding a movie, they think they've got more movies than before and we're not worrying they might come across a Halloween, Hellraiser etc...!!

Rather than creating playlists for our movies (& TV shows), I left the existing menu items in place, so if we go in through them they show all movies including the kids ones. And we have decided to simply turn off these menu items via the customize main menu option each day so they are effectively only showing after say 7pm each evening - so the kids can't look through them during the day, which is keeping the wife happy!

I also decided to turn off the recently added widget for these video playlists - I was really happy to see that Marcos had made it possible to turn them off for the playlists but they remain working for the "normal" movies menu item - it keeps it cleaner and less confusing for the kids in my opinion, but we can still have the feature on our menu item.

I had previously put in a feature request for password protection on movies over a certain rating and although there was some interest, nothing seems to have happened as yet. I still think this would be a great addition to XBMC in the future, but in the meantime this workaround as explained by Samu-rai works great.

Many thanks again to Samu-rai and also to Marcos for his great skins.

RE: (How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4 - bry - 2013-10-07

(2013-10-07, 18:36)Buff Wrote: Rather than creating playlists for our movies (& TV shows), I left the existing menu items in place, so if we go in through them they show all movies including the kids ones. And we have decided to simply turn off these menu items via the customize main menu option each day so they are effectively only showing after say 7pm each evening - so the kids can't look through them during the day, which is keeping the wife happy!
I have never seen that feature before - could you provide more info?

(2013-10-07, 18:45)bry- Wrote: I have never seen that feature before - could you provide more info?

I probably didn't explain it well enough bry - what I meant by that, is that each evening after the kids are in bed, I will go into the Customize Main Menu screen and enable/show the main menu item i.e. movies and tv shows, so they then show up for myself and the wife for the evening - I'll then turn them off before the next morning, so only the kids movies and kids tv shows are showing (via the smart playlists) and they can't browse to movies they shouldn't be watching.

It's a bit of a pain to do it each day I guess, but not exactly much!

RE: (How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4 - Wanilton - 2013-10-07

Have one better way for this Buff, use in MQ5, the new resource, you have 10 positions for save presets (save your home main menu items in actual state), and alternate one for other, in other words, you create one preset for you and wife, and other for your kids, now in home you change one for other, use submenu presets (settings), great tool, no need use profile for it, all you need is one click button (change for kids main menu) with other click, alternate for your preset again.

Organize the main menu the way you wish, then save these settings as a preset. Reorder the main menu for your wife or your kids and save it as another preset.
You can also arrange a menu fully optimized for video, one for music and so on, you can have up to 10 presets independently of each other.
So with just two clicks you can switch between the pre-saved settings, very fast and convenient.

(2013-10-07, 19:50)Wanilton Wrote: Have one better way for this Buff, use in MQ5, the new resource, you have 10 positions for save presets (save your home main menu items in actual state), and alternate one for other, in other words, you create one preset for you and wife, and other for your kids, now in home you change one for other, use submenu presets (settings), great tool, no need use profile for it, all you need is one click button (change for kids main menu) with other click, alternate for your preset again.

Organize the main menu the way you wish, then save these settings as a preset. Reorder the main menu for your wife or your kids and save it as another preset.
You can also arrange a menu fully optimized for video, one for music and so on, you can have up to 10 presets independently of each other.
So with just two clicks you can switch between the pre-saved settings, very fast and convenient.

Awesome, many thanks, will give that a go tonight

RE: (How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4 - Samu-rai - 2013-10-15

Hi Guys

Sorry, I've only just got round to reading your latest comments.

Thanks for the kind words Buff. Glad you have it all working.

RE: (How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4 - Shftup - 2013-11-05

This is a great guide. thank you.

When I tried it, i get everything to work, but the content of the new folder created (in my case - Concerts).

I assume this has to do with adding the content in the 2 step. I must doing something wrong, but not sure what? Any help?

RE: (How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4 - Samu-rai - 2013-11-05

Of course. Would you explain a bit more what the issue your experiencing is?

RE: (How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4 - Shftup - 2013-11-05

Thanks
I followed the procedure in the OP. When I get to the very end and I click on my new menu that i created (concerts) - its asks for content - like nothing is there in the folder.
In the search criteria for the new playlist, I used path - and set the folder path to my concert folder. (and no other criteria).

S

RE: (How To) Separate Your Kids Media From Your Own on MQ4 - Samu-rai - 2013-11-05

Have all the concert files scrapped properly? Are they showing in your library when you don't use playlists, and if so what are they showing under? Movies? TV Shows? Music Videos?