Kodi Community Forum
Adv Launcher/RCB issue - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Adv Launcher/RCB issue (/showthread.php?tid=151930)

Pages: 1 2

Adv Launcher/RCB issue - NoHesitation - 2013-01-13

Hi,

I have set up mednafen as my emulator of choice for now, and have run into some issues. I am running xbmc on ubuntu 12.10, and I get 2 different behaviors from the respective launchers.

Advanced Launcher:
I have added mednafen, and the correct args, but when I click on the launch control, nothing happens, it just stays in xbmc, on that screen.

RCB:
When I load RCB, it shows all my games, and when I select one, I assume it is launching mednafen, but the screen goes dark, my tv says I have no signal, and the only way I can get back to xbmc is to hard reboot.

What is really strange, is that mednafen runs just fine from the terminal, with the same startup command as the launchers are providing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

RE: Adv Launcher/RCB issue - negge - 2013-01-14

Post a debug log from when you run the game using RCB (you'll need to enable debug logging both in the addon and in XBMC's settings). I suspect the emulator is changing the resolution to something your TV can't handle so it goes black. You can also post the question in the RCB thread, the developer is really quite helpful.

RE: Adv Launcher/RCB issue - NoHesitation - 2013-01-14

Here are my logs, one of them should have advanced launcher errors, and the other should have rcb

http://pastebin.com/xiTNX9g6
http://pastebin.com/sx3uP1Ye

Thanks!

RE: Adv Launcher/RCB issue - negge - 2013-01-14

If I understand your RCB log correctly, the way you usually launch your games are:

/home/james/.xbmc/scripts/mednafen-launcher.sh "%ROM%"

Does that exact command work from a terminal? Does your launcher script depend on anything like working directory or environment variables? What you should try is launch a game and when you get a black screen you log in to the box using SSH to check if mednafen (or XBMC) is running.

RE: Adv Launcher/RCB issue - Angelscry - 2013-01-14

(2013-01-13, 16:57)NoHesitation Wrote: Advanced Launcher:
I have added mednafen, and the correct args, but when I click on the launch control, nothing happens, it just stays in xbmc, on that screen.
You must have done something wrong with the launcher configuration. Could you post here to content of your launchers.xml file (located into your ~/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/plugin.program.advanced.launcher directory). After creating the launcher have you make a scan to add the roms into the launcher?

RE: Adv Launcher/RCB issue - NoHesitation - 2013-01-14

(2013-01-14, 11:20)negge Wrote: If I understand your RCB log correctly, the way you usually launch your games are:

/home/james/.xbmc/scripts/mednafen-launcher.sh "%ROM%"

Does that exact command work from a terminal? Does your launcher script depend on anything like working directory or environment variables? What you should try is launch a game and when you get a black screen you log in to the box using SSH to check if mednafen (or XBMC) is running.

The script in question looks like this:

#!/bin/bash
killall -s STOP xbmc.bin
/usr/games/mednafen -fs 1 "$1"
killall -s CONT xbmc.bin

I have also run it without the script, just using /usr/games/mednafen -fs 1 "%ROM%", but got the same result.

I will try to SSH in and see what is going on, once I get home from work. Also, I have tried running it without the -fs option, and made sure it is also not in the config file for mednafen, but nothing seems to make a difference.

RE: Adv Launcher/RCB issue - NoHesitation - 2013-01-15

Here is my launchers.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<launchers>
<launcher>
<id>aebdb7ccceb86ace91ddb2e25c605d81</id>
<name>mednafen</name>
<application>/usr/games/mednafen</application>
<args>-fs 1 "%rom%"</args>
<rompath>/home/james/ROMS/NES/</rompath>
<thumbpath>/home/james/ROMS/NES/boxfront/</thumbpath>
<fanartpath>/home/james/ROMS/NES/fanart/</fanartpath>
<custompath>/home/james/ROMS/NES/fanart/</custompath>
<romext>zip|pce|gba|gb|gbc|lnx|ngc|ngp|wsc|ws</romext>
<platform>Nintendo Entertainment System</platform>
<thumb></thumb>
<fanart></fanart>
<genre></genre>
<release></release>
<publisher></publisher>
<launcherplot></launcherplot>
<finished>false</finished>
<minimize>false</minimize>
<lnk></lnk>
<roms>
</roms>
</launcher>
</launchers>

RE: Adv Launcher/RCB issue - Angelscry - 2013-01-15

(2013-01-15, 01:20)NoHesitation Wrote: Here is my launchers.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<launchers>
<launcher>
<id>aebdb7ccceb86ace91ddb2e25c605d81</id>
<name>mednafen</name>
<application>/usr/games/mednafen</application>
<args>-fs 1 "%rom%"</args>
<rompath>/home/james/ROMS/NES/</rompath>
<thumbpath>/home/james/ROMS/NES/boxfront/</thumbpath>
<fanartpath>/home/james/ROMS/NES/fanart/</fanartpath>
<custompath>/home/james/ROMS/NES/fanart/</custompath>
<romext>zip|pce|gba|gb|gbc|lnx|ngc|ngp|wsc|ws</romext>
<platform>Nintendo Entertainment System</platform>
<thumb></thumb>
<fanart></fanart>
<genre></genre>
<release></release>
<publisher></publisher>
<launcherplot></launcherplot>
<finished>false</finished>
<minimize>false</minimize>
<lnk></lnk>
<roms>
</roms>
</launcher>
</launchers>
You do not have any rom listed into your Mednafen launcher !!!?? So, it is normal that when you select Mednafen, nothing happen.

Select your Mednafen launcher, and open it's context menu ("C" key), then "Add Item" and "Scan for New Items" option. It wil scan your /home/james/ROMS/NES/ directory for roms files with zip|pce|gba|gb|gbc|lnx|ngc|ngp|wsc|ws extensions.

You're right, and I am an idiot! That being said, I have added my items, and now I have the exact same issue I have with RCB.

Here is a pastebin of the latest launcher file, and log file from trying to run this:

Launcher: http://pastebin.com/UgMqLqLR
Log File: http://pastebin.com/6Y4bje6S

I have also checked into what negge asked, and it seems that both are running, here are the ps lines:

For Advanced Launcher:

james 2125 1 0 20:07 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/xbmc
james 2137 2125 8 20:07 ? 00:00:03 /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin
james 2443 2137 0 20:07 ? 00:00:00 sh -c "/usr/games/mednafen" -fs 1 "/home/james/ROMS/NES/Zelda II - The Adventure of Link (U) [!].zip"
james 2444 2443 5 20:07 ? 00:00:00 /usr/games/mednafen -fs 1 /home/james/ROMS/NES/Zelda II - The Adventure of Link (U) [!].zip

For RCB:

james 2308 1 0 20:09 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/xbmc
james 2320 2308 9 20:09 ? 00:00:02 /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin
james 2399 2320 0 20:10 ? 00:00:00 sh -c "/home/james/.xbmc/scripts/mednafen-launcher.sh" "/home/james/ROMS/NES/Zelda II - The Adventure of Link
james 2400 2399 0 20:10 ? 00:00:00 /bin/bash /home/james/.xbmc/scripts/mednafen-launcher.sh /home/james/ROMS/NES/Zelda II - The Adventure of Lin
james 2402 2400 2 20:10 ? 00:00:00 /usr/games/mednafen -fs 1 /home/james/ROMS/NES/Zelda II - The Adventure of Link (U) [!].zip

I used the same game in both instances, because I know it works when launched in mednafen through the terminal on my desktop.

Last edit: For what it is worth, I get the same results when I don't use the -fs option as well, though not playing in full screen would be unacceptable anyway.

Ok... so if Advanced Launcher and RCB give you the same result, it is not related to the plugin. So there is something wrong with XBMC or mednafen. Have you try with an Eden version of XBMC? I know that Frodo is better, but it still actually a development version, and maybe there is bug/problem this the GIT version you are using. Could you try an Eden version of XBMC? If it's works, then we will know that the problem comes from your XBMC GIT version. And if you still have the problem, so it came from out of XBMC (Ubuntu or mednafen).

For example does the user who start XBMC also have the rights to access/start mednafen? Are you directly booting into XBMC of does XBMC is running inside a windows/desktop manager (Unity, LXDE, Openbox, etc...)?

I can try installing Eden instead, though I would prefer not to, since that will break my PVR functionality. As far as the user, the user does have right to do both, it is me, which is an admin user. Should I be running an OS user named xbmc instead? I am not booting XBMC up at startup, but I do load it directly from the Ubuntu desktop.

(2013-01-15, 05:32)NoHesitation Wrote: I can try installing Eden instead, though I would prefer not to, since that will break my PVR functionality. As far as the user, the user does have right to do both, it is me, which is an admin user. Should I be running an OS user named xbmc instead? I am not booting XBMC up at startup, but I do load it directly from the Ubuntu desktop.
Ok... no... perfect. I try to found what might be wrong. Which version of mednafen are you using?

0.9.26 WIP (latest on the website, was hoping to utilize more systems in a single emulator)

Also, thanks very much for the help, it is driving me crazy haha!

Another thing you can try. Into Advanced Launcher settings, into "Advanced Options", you have an option to adjust de delay between the apllication is started an XBMC lost the focus. Couls you try to put this value to maximum (2000ms) and tell me if it change something or not?

Just tried that, got the same issue Sad