Kodi Community Forum
xbmc (Lite?) On Apple TV3 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: xbmc (Lite?) On Apple TV3 (/showthread.php?tid=165437)

Pages: 1 2 3

xbmc (Lite?) On Apple TV3 - mmartell - 2013-05-22

Some time ago an enterprising Chinese fellow discovered a workaround which allowed him to display custom content on an atv3. The exploit is described here:

http://toswang.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/hack-apple-tv-for-watching-chinese-tvs.html?m=1

In that spirit some guys at Plex have made much progress integrating their library into the mix by utilizing a local dns server to highjack the appropriate atv3 request and their dev can be followed here:

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/57831-plex-atv-think-different/page-12?

and the git:

https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect

We don't use Plex Cool But many of us DO use multiple installations of xbmc.

My request is to allow an existing xbmc installation to recognize and process requests from an atv3 and output properly formatted xml's for display on said atv3. Ideally it would have a dns server built-in and a transcoder (or means to integrate with an outboard transcoser) but I will not push my luck Big Grin

RE: xbmc (Lite?) On Apple TV3 - Ned Scott - 2013-05-22

I'm not a developer, but I wouldn't hold my breath on this. Maybe if someone created an in-between app of some kind, then we could use the ATV3 as a UPnP target, but that's the most I would expect.

Besides, if you have something running XBMC, then you can probably AirPlay mirror to the ATV3. iOS and Mac OS X can do it natively, and there's a 3rd party app for mirroring with Windows and older Macs. It works quite well.

Re: xbmc (Lite?) On Apple TV3 - mmartell - 2013-05-23

Mirroring doesn't provide the seamless integration of the xbmc ecosystem that this approach provides. I find it quite elegant, actually. It doesn't require a jailbreak and works equally as well on an atv2 (for any of those who were shut out by the latest update).

I'm no dev either but I will attempt to pick away at some of the Python scripting available and see if I can't move this ahead a little. Baby steps...

RE: xbmc (Lite?) On Apple TV3 - Ned Scott - 2013-05-23

Mirroring is just a wireless display. It's about as seamless as you can get o.O

No jailbreak required for Mac OS X or Windows. Air Parrot is a great product for this. The point being, if you already have a box running XBMC, it might as well be a box that mirrors to the ATV3. It's basically the same thing as trying to have XBMC serve up custom content to the ATV3, but a lot more complete and is something that can be done today.

Your opposition is noted.

Here's what it looks like so far...

http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/xzs29u_plexconnect_videogames

There is a webserver built into xbmc but the atv speaks xml so there needs to be a converter.

Tech question: Can xbmc output xml and if so how does one go about getting it ?

I have no opposition, I'm just telling you, no one is going to do it because no one is interested in doing it. The ATV3 is a dead product in our eyes. For less money you can get something more powerful with full XBMC features. There is zero incentive to do some ass-backwards hack that will give people a poor XBMC experience. Good luck finding anyone who wants to work on that.

Geez, man, like I said I've got your position and if you're speaking for the class then I'll drop it right now...

If you're not would you kindly just step to the side a little ?

I thought you would feel lonely talking to yourself :/

RE: xbmc (Lite?) On Apple TV3 - TugboatBill - 2013-05-23

If you follow the general responses on this forum you'll realize the ATV3 is held in the same regard as the PS3. They may be decent devices for what they're designed to be, but as far as XBMC goes they're dead ducks.

Ya I'm getting that now. Thanks for the candor, even you Ned :D

RE: xbmc (Lite?) On Apple TV3 - Bstrdsmkr - 2013-05-25

Ahhh, hell. I despise the very dirt Steve Jobs sleeps in and I echo Ned Scott's sentiment, but in the interest of completeness....

This CAN be done with a service addon. You just need to launch a simple web server to respond to the atv's requests with the appropriate xml. It's reinventing a worse version of the wheel, but if you're hell bent on it, there ya go.

Re: RE: xbmc (Lite?) On Apple TV3 - mmartell - 2013-05-25

(2013-05-25, 00:39)Bstrdsmkr Wrote: This CAN be done with a service addon. You just need to launch a simple web server to respond to the atv's requests with the appropriate xml.

I understand the process involved I just can't write the code.

I see this is sacrilege to many of you but I don't have gods - not xbmc and not Steve Jobs. I only see this as a way to extend xbmc functionality to a device which doesn't inherently support it.

RE: xbmc (Lite?) On Apple TV3 - Ned Scott - 2013-05-25

Not really sacrilege, but just kind of... a lot of work for little pay off (at least in our eyes). At least in context to XBMC.

I actually find this exploit to be very interesting. Long before I even joined TeamXBMC, I've been big into jailbreaking, and big into pushing things beyond their designed intentions :)

I wish luck to those who can find interesting ways to use it. Maybe even use it as some kind of attack vector for a jailbreak.

Re: RE: xbmc (Lite?) On Apple TV3 - mmartell - 2013-05-25

(2013-05-25, 05:22)Ned Scott Wrote: I actually find this exploit to be very interesting. Long before I even joined TeamXBMC, I've been big into jailbreaking, and big into pushing things beyond their designed intentions :)

I wish luck to those who can find interesting ways to use it. Maybe even use it as some kind of attack vector for a jailbreak.

I thought the same myself then thought, naahhh, surely the jailbreakers have known about how the device operates forever and must have attempted to exploit this already. Are you implying this avenue is new territory to the jailbreak community ?

I wonder why there hasn't been a sustained hardware attack on the device in light of failed software attacks. I realize it's not the most elegant solution but "build it and they will come" as they say.

RE: xbmc (Lite?) On Apple TV3 - Bstrdsmkr - 2013-05-25

(2013-05-25, 23:03)mmartell Wrote: I wonder why there hasn't been a sustained hardware attack on the device in light of failed software attacks. I realize it's not the most elegant solution but "build it and they will come" as they say.

Because RaspberryPi. Apple shot themselves in the foot with their behaviour. The RPi does pretty much everything the ATV3 does and more for 1/2 the price