Kodi Community Forum
Nearly a year in, I still haven't found the best feature/price xbmc box/build. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Nearly a year in, I still haven't found the best feature/price xbmc box/build. (/showthread.php?tid=169350)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Nearly a year in, I still haven't found the best feature/price xbmc box/build. - exoscoriae - 2013-07-20

i know an i3 will support full 3d. not sure on the dts part.

RE: Nearly a year in, I still haven't found the best feature/price xbmc box/build. - hellt - 2013-07-20

(2013-07-20, 17:12)exoscoriae Wrote: i know an i3 will support full 3d. not sure on the dts part.

Thanks. Though I should ask about QS77 chipset support rather than CPU =)
Lets see reply about sound part of NUC

RE: Nearly a year in, I still haven't found the best feature/price xbmc box/build. - jammyb - 2013-07-20

i3 can do the lot in software. you don't even need HD4000 graphics on it really.

Nearly a year in, I still haven't found the best feature/price xbmc box/build. - ilovemymac - 2013-07-20

(2013-07-20, 07:15)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2013-07-20, 04:33)ilovemymac Wrote:
(2013-07-19, 06:47)Ned Scott Wrote: This is really not the norm, and I can't emphasize that enough.

I have played with several pivos boxes. They can't handle 1080p sure some movies play fine others do not. It's even slow loading the add ons icons. The jynxbox works a little better but yea still slow. I think the Apple TV 1 with Broadcom chip works ok. And I think a custom box would do well

They can handle 1080. If it can be hardware decoded then the Pivos should be able to play it. Everyone on Team XBMC has one and can verify this. If your unit is slow even loading add-on icons then something is really wrong.

It's not that I don't believe you. I think this really is happening to you. I'm just saying that it's not normal.

*shrug*

I have had a jynxbox and it ran better. Still not great. But was faster. I can show you the file that made the pivos studder it was only a 720p Mkv file. But my atv played it just fine and it makes no sense

RE: Nearly a year in, I still haven't found the best feature/price xbmc box/build. - joelbaby - 2013-07-20

Nuc + 32gb msata ssd + flirc + openelec
Celeron version for xbmc

But if you can wait, then wait.
New android boxes will come with quad core.
Nuc will have ir built in, so no need for flirc.

You could also use a second hand laptop with hdmi output. Change power settings to do nothing when you closer the lid, and use wake on Wi-Fi lan.

RE: Nearly a year in, I still haven't found the best feature/price xbmc box/build. - Fennec - 2013-07-20

(2013-07-19, 20:49)Dougie Fresh Wrote: There is also a Celeron 847 NUC that is cheaper. Like the Q190, it too will run 1080p and XBMC with no issues. The flavor of Q190 I am referring to is the Celeron 847. You would only need the i3 if you need 3D. The Celeron 847 Q190 is often on sale on the Lenovo website for $249.

Huh? I thought the base model without the i3 will do 3D SBS?

RE: Nearly a year in, I still haven't found the best feature/price xbmc box/build. - jammyb - 2013-07-20

Yup. Celeron can do SBS 1080p.

RE: Nearly a year in, I still haven't found the best feature/price xbmc box/build. - exoscoriae - 2013-07-21

(2013-07-20, 19:28)joelbaby Wrote: Nuc + 32gb msata ssd + flirc + openelec
Celeron version for xbmc

But if you can wait, then wait.
New android boxes will come with quad core.
Nuc will have ir built in, so no need for flirc.

You could also use a second hand laptop with hdmi output. Change power settings to do nothing when you closer the lid, and use wake on Wi-Fi lan.

A second hand laptop totally defeats the form factor requirements. However I will likely wait on the next run of android boxes. I was a bit more hopeful about the current $200 range ion2 systems than I should have been I suppose.

(2013-07-20, 19:48)Fennec Wrote: Huh? I thought the base model without the i3 will do 3D SBS?

Doesnt matter much now as it is not available anywhere anymore.

RE: Nearly a year in, I still haven't found the best feature/price xbmc box/build. - nickr - 2013-07-21

Quote:I was a bit more hopeful about the current $200 range ion2 systems than I should have been I suppose.

If you can get an ION2 machine for $200, go for it! I love my REVO ION2 machines.

RE: Nearly a year in, I still haven't found the best feature/price xbmc box/build. - jammyb - 2013-07-21

(2013-07-21, 05:40)exoscoriae Wrote:
(2013-07-20, 19:48)Fennec Wrote: Huh? I thought the base model without the i3 will do 3D SBS?

Doesnt matter much now as it is not available anywhere anymore.

Say whut?

http://m.ebuyer.com/447255

RE: Nearly a year in, I still haven't found the best feature/price xbmc box/build. - exoscoriae - 2013-07-21

I live in the US, and I sure wouldn't pay half the price of a system to ship it to myself.

(2013-07-21, 06:43)nickr Wrote:
Quote:I was a bit more hopeful about the current $200 range ion2 systems than I should have been I suppose.

If you can get an ION2 machine for $200, go for it! I love my REVO ION2 machines.

But can they run 1080p uncompressed video without stuttering? Previous posts here seem to suggest otherwise.

RE: Nearly a year in, I still haven't found the best feature/price xbmc box/build. - nickr - 2013-07-21

I don't know what you mean by "uncompressed" 1080p. There is no such thing that you will have to play on your XBMC. All video at the consumer level is compressed.

However you MAY mean material transferred direct from bluray without FURTHER compression? If so, I haven't found any such video that my ION2 box has any problem playing via vdpau hardware decompression.

RE: Nearly a year in, I still haven't found the best feature/price xbmc box/build. - jammyb - 2013-07-21

(2013-07-21, 17:07)exoscoriae Wrote: I live in the US, and I sure wouldn't pay half the price of a system to ship it to myself.

No worries bud. Buy it in the US then - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102004

Just don't spout tosh that they've been discontinued. Smile

Yes, I am referring to a straight bluray rip.

I am a bit confused though as to why I am 3 pages into this question and noone has suggested an ion2 yet and I specifically asked about them in the original post. An ion 2 would fit my budget perfectly, and that was what I was aiming at before I asked on here.

That said, I am now very curious as to how an ion2 compares to that q190. At $300, it is only 50 or so more than an ion2.... and presumably, it is quite a bit more powerful?

(2013-07-21, 22:19)jammyb Wrote: No worries bud. Buy it in the US then - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102004

Just don't spout tosh that they've been discontinued. Smile

The confusion then would be the fact that when it was originally mentioned, Dougie Fresh called it
Quote:The flavor of Q190 I am referring to is the Celeron 847
. And when I went to lenova's website they confirmed they had a q190 with a celeron 847 but that it had been discontinued. So I am "spouting" exactly what the manufacturer told me. The fact that there is a separate model number that happens to contain that chipset doesn't change the fact that the q190 w/ a celeron 847 is no longer produced. Unless there never was a q190 w/ a celeron 847, in which case the guy at lenova was an idiot who misled me.

ion2 is mostly on atom machines. The Celeron q190 or Celeron NUC are hd2000.

So you'll get better performance from the Celeron AND the hd2000 graphics.

So for $50 more you'll get smoother UI experience on the better skins.

Plus guaranteed playback of SBS 1080p 3D.

I run an old revo 3700 with ion2 and the Celeron NUC.

The NUC is so much faster in menus but the revo has no problem playing anything on it. But then again I don't have a 3D telly and both machines have SSD Smile none of the USB boot stick malarkey.