Kodi Community Forum
chromecast - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: chromecast (/showthread.php?tid=169737)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: chromecast - micware - 2014-07-13

while reading this thread i'm a bit confused.

Are we talking about a Android (tablet, phone) device seeing my XBMC box as a chromecast dongle
so i can stream music, photos and videos to my to XBMC (like the Airplay option we have now)

Or is this about streaming from XBMC to a Chromecast dongle (hardware) on a tv somewhere else in the house

Or is this thread about both options?

RE: chromecast - Dark_Slayer - 2014-07-14

I'm taking about integrating a cast receiver into xbmc so anyone on your network can use it as a target for their android photos, videos, music, and screen mirroring.

I personally think sending it to an android device from xbmc would be pointless

Allcast already supports dlna renderers for photos, music, videos, and even your Google cloud music. Just doesn't mirror your screen over dlna.

Integrate cast receiver would be more robust as it would pick up a lot of apps with the cast function built in

RE: chromecast - lolwatpear - 2014-07-15

can you now cast xbmc to chromecast with that new update i heard about for nexus devices?

RE: chromecast - nickr - 2014-07-15

I posted a while a go about how to do what Dark Slayer suggested. If I can find the thread agin I'll let you know.

EDIT here it is, http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=171534

To be honest I did this as a proof of concept, but as I have no use for it, I haven't taken it any further. It's not rocket science and people are free to do what they will on these lines.

RE: chromecast - jdjones - 2014-07-26

So,,,,to date there is still no way to cast XBMC from a windows pc to big screen TV via Chromecast dongle? Sad
I'm getting tired of reading/ hearing about Android devices! I have a PC running windows 7 and an iPhone. I can cast Netflix & youtube from either to TV. I have inserted the path to Google Chrome into playercorefactory.xml but it still does not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated as trying to watch a movie on a 10 inch laptop does not appeal to me at all.

RE: chromecast - nickr - 2014-07-26

Plug your computer running XBMC into your TV via the HDMI port, that's how it is designed to be used.

RE: chromecast - JonSnow88 - 2014-07-26

(2014-07-26, 06:01)jdjones Wrote: So,,,,to date there is still no way to cast XBMC from a windows pc to big screen TV via Chromecast dongle? Sad
I'm getting tired of reading/ hearing about Android devices! I have a PC running windows 7 and an iPhone. I can cast Netflix & youtube from either to TV. I have inserted the path to Google Chrome into playercorefactory.xml but it still does not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated as trying to watch a movie on a 10 inch laptop does not appeal to me at all.

you could cast you screen using Chrome for Windows and then run XBMC, but its slow

RE: chromecast - jammyb - 2014-07-26

Plex is designed for casting.

XBMC isn't.

RE: chromecast - tiagoggama - 2014-08-21

Hi,

im using chromecast but i have some freezes in the image, the is anyway to minimize this.

Thanks

RE: chromecast - buckaroo34me - 2014-12-27

I am currently running Kodi with Chromecast on PCs, Android phone, and Kindle Fire HD. The secret is finding a good PlayerCoreFactory.xml file, or understanding how to create your own. With the xml file in the Userdata folder, Kodi will automatically redirect the video address to the Chromecast device and will play the video. For the PC you will need an xml with Google Chrome browser as the redirector to the Chromecast. For Android devices you will need an xml file that has whatever app is used for redirect to Chromecast. I currently use an app called "Localcast" for both my Android phone and my Kindle. Localcast is available on the Android Market in a Free (with ads) version and a paid version that removes the ads.

What I am searching for now is an add-on to Kodi or maybe a code change that will prompt you for "internal" or "external" player so you can choose where you want to watch the video. This is because with the PlayerCoreFactory.xml file in place it always redirects to the Chromecast external player. The only way I know to play it with the internal player on the local screen is to remove the xml file completely from the Userdata folder and relaunching Kodi.

Edit: Another tidbit, Chromecast will only play certain video file types like MP4. It will NOT play FLV files. So the source stream you select dictates whether or not it will cast to the Chromecast. From PC there are some Chrome browser extensions that will cast a whole tab, but this can lead to lagging as your PC then has to handle showing the video locally in the browser as well as to the Chromecast redirect.

RE: chromecast - jdjones - 2014-12-27

How/where do you find the user data folder for Localcast?

RE: chromecast - nickr - 2014-12-27

(2014-12-27, 00:35)buckaroo34me Wrote: What I am searching for now is an add-on to Kodi or maybe a code change that will prompt you for "internal" or "external" player so you can choose where you want to watch the video. This is because with the PlayerCoreFactory.xml file in place it always redirects to the Chromecast external player. The only way I know to play it with the internal player on the local screen is to remove the xml file completely from the Userdata folder and relaunching Kodi.

Can you choose player in context (right click) window?

RE: chromecast - buckaroo34me - 2014-12-28

(2014-12-27, 21:03)jdjones Wrote: How/where do you find the user data folder for Localcast?

Actually it is the Userdata folder for Kodi that the playercorefactory.xml file needs to reside in.

On Android the path is (note: this is on my Samsung GS4 so your sdcard may be located under a different name:

-- Path: ../extSDCard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata

-- Paste the playercorefactory.xml file here and all videos launched inside of Kodi will launch via external player (ie. Localcast or whatever you code in the file).

-- To launch videos back in the internal Kodi application, you will have to move the playercorefactory.xml or delete it. I have a copy in my backup directory so if I want to watch within Kodi I delete the playercorefactory.xml from the ../userdata folder.

Path on Windows7: C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata

If you need a copy of the playercorefactory.xml for Localcast: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9JW9OabJKmKRmt4QmwyY3ZMS2M/view?usp=sharing

Cool

RE: chromecast - buckaroo34me - 2014-12-28

(2014-12-27, 21:08)nickr Wrote:
(2014-12-27, 00:35)buckaroo34me Wrote: What I am searching for now is an add-on to Kodi or maybe a code change that will prompt you for "internal" or "external" player so you can choose where you want to watch the video. This is because with the PlayerCoreFactory.xml file in place it always redirects to the Chromecast external player. The only way I know to play it with the internal player on the local screen is to remove the xml file completely from the Userdata folder and relaunching Kodi.

Can you choose player in context (right click) window?

- Nope. If you right-click on a video link you just get the normal context menu with no option to chromecast.

If you have a playercorefactory.xml file with the Chrome browser link coded in it, then upon launching a video Kodi will launch the Chrome browser and then you can Chromecast from an app extension within the Chrome browser. I use Castbuddy and Playto extensions in Google Chrome.

Cool

RE: chromecast - nickr - 2014-12-28

So you don't get a 'play using' context menu item?