Kodi Community Forum
Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences (/showthread.php?tid=170791)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - superfreak79 - 2013-12-21

(2013-12-20, 23:00)atv2jber Wrote: BTW, this is for Linux-XBMC only. If you are on Android you need to change the settings via the Network dialog under Andriod's settings.

Which DNS service did you use, tunlr, unblock-us, unlocator? 127.0.0.1 looks like you might have entered something wrong in the myResolv.conf file or that you were playing around with the Networking dialog in XBMC. What do you see if you ssh into the box and issue the following command "cat /etc/resolv.conf" ?

Yes, I'm using the Geniatech release of Linux XBMC. Previously, I could configure my XBMC DNS settings in Android - but that doesn't work with this Linux version.

I'm using Unotell Global DNS Clusters. I use Toronto and Montreal.

I am able to SSH to the Linux XBMC ATV520 box. I type the following: "echo "nameserver AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD" > /root/.xbmc/myResolv.conf (with my DNS address). The command works and then I reboot the machine.

After I reboot, I look at the System Info > Network and here's what I get: IP address 192.168.1.4; Gateway 192.168.1.1; Primary DNS 192.168.1.1; Secondary DNS 192.168.1.1

Has anyone else with Geniatech dual core box tried to modify these settings?

Cheers

RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - atv2jber - 2013-12-21

(2013-12-21, 15:49)superfreak79 Wrote:
(2013-12-20, 23:00)atv2jber Wrote: BTW, this is for Linux-XBMC only. If you are on Android you need to change the settings via the Network dialog under Andriod's settings.

Which DNS service did you use, tunlr, unblock-us, unlocator? 127.0.0.1 looks like you might have entered something wrong in the myResolv.conf file or that you were playing around with the Networking dialog in XBMC. What do you see if you ssh into the box and issue the following command "cat /etc/resolv.conf" ?

Yes, I'm using the Geniatech release of Linux XBMC. Previously, I could configure my XBMC DNS settings in Android - but that doesn't work with this Linux version.

I'm using Unotell Global DNS Clusters. I use Toronto and Montreal.

I am able to SSH to the Linux XBMC ATV520 box. I type the following: "echo "nameserver AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD" > /root/.xbmc/myResolv.conf (with my DNS address). The command works and then I reboot the machine.

After I reboot, I look at the System Info > Network and here's what I get: IP address 192.168.1.4; Gateway 192.168.1.1; Primary DNS 192.168.1.1; Secondary DNS 192.168.1.1

Has anyone else with Geniatech dual core box tried to modify these settings?

Cheers

Okay. If that is what you did then the myResolv.conf tweak is not implemented in the Geniatech Linux-XBMC load and since they are not supporting the open source community by making their github repo private, we can't suggest a tweak. If they made it public, we could generate a pull request with some community based tweaks. Oh well. The future of XBMC on these boxes is on Android anyways so the Linux based releases are only for fun.

Regards.

RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - superfreak79 - 2013-12-21

Why is future on Android? I mean... Linux is obviously a better XBMC experience. Is it about selling pseudo-ATV boxes?

I use DD-WRT. Shouldn't I be able to manage my DNS address from the access point anyway? I've always done it at each device - but maybe I should change that given this situation.

Cheers.

RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - Packetcrypt - 2013-12-21

(2013-12-21, 16:19)superfreak79 Wrote: Why is future on Android? I mean... Linux is obviously a better XBMC experience. Is it about selling pseudo-ATV boxes?

I use DD-WRT. Shouldn't I be able to manage my DNS address from the access point anyway? I've always done it at each device - but maybe I should change that given this situation.

Cheers.

Linux only offers a better XBMC experience on low powered boxes that can't run android properly.

(2013-12-21, 17:49)Packetcrypt Wrote: Linux only offers a better XBMC experience on low powered boxes that can't run android properly.
My experience with MyGica ATV520 Android XBMC was absolute rubbish.

RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - Packetcrypt - 2013-12-21

All I know is that with the exception of poor Wifi my ATV520 outperforms my Pivos & Jynxbox running Linux. It actually even outperforms my Mk888B Quad Core because it plays 1080 much smoother however this will likely change with the Gotham Builds. Everything just works .. never have issues with Airplay, never have issues with SMB Shares, all Audio Passthru works perfect, runs all skins quickly, plays 720 & 1080 streams smoothly without buffering, Android Apps work. The only other small complaint I had was that sometimes the standard remote would be slow or unresponsive..Upgraded remote and now the things runs beautifully !!

Yeah, remote is horrible. No trouble with XBMC though? Mine hasn't been consistent from day 1.

And Linux XBMC is much faster experience. Should give it a sample.

(2013-12-21, 18:21)superfreak79 Wrote: Yeah, remote is horrible. No trouble with XBMC though? Mine hasn't been consistent from day 1.

I did give Linux a try with my Pivos and Jynxbox and it did greatly improve performance on them but that is just because their hardware is so limited.

I just can't see how my box would run much faster.. my fingers can only press the buttons so fast and my ATV520 already keeps up with my fingers. Streams
start up just as fast as they do on my Alienware X51. I will give it a shot but I just can't see it making much of a difference speed wise. Plus, I like Android because I can play online poker with my buds when not watching TV Smile

RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - lifeisfun - 2013-12-21

(2013-12-21, 18:32)Packetcrypt Wrote:
(2013-12-21, 18:21)superfreak79 Wrote: Yeah, remote is horrible. No trouble with XBMC though? Mine hasn't been consistent from day 1.

I did give Linux a try with my Pivos and Jynxbox and it did greatly improve performance on them but that is just because their hardware is so limited.

I just can't see how my box would run much faster.. my fingers can only press the buttons so fast and my ATV520 already keeps up with my fingers. Streams
start up just as fast as they do on my Alienware X51. I will give it a shot but I just can't see it making much of a difference speed wise. Plus, I like Android because I can play online poker with my buds when not watching TV Smile
I'll second that, no problems with my atv520 (I'm not using wifi tho)

(2013-12-21, 19:42)lifeisfun Wrote: I'll second that, no problems with my atv520 (I'm not using wiring tho)

Are you saying you are using wifi and the unit is working good? Did you do the wifi mod? I tried it but it didn't help much but my router is about 40 feet from box and on another level.

RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - lifeisfun - 2013-12-21

(2013-12-21, 20:31)Packetcrypt Wrote:
(2013-12-21, 19:42)lifeisfun Wrote: I'll second that, no problems with my atv520 (I'm not using wiring tho)

Are you saying you are using wifi and the unit is working good? Did you do the wifi mod? I tried it but it didn't help much but my router is about 40 feet from box and on another level.
Ooops, sorry, darn spell check
I'm not using wifi
Is your unit with or without antenna?
Here they sell 520 (no antenna) and 520E that one does have antenna and way better wifi reception.

RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - redi - 2013-12-21

I'm curious how the 520e performs with wifi.

No issues with mine either (wired). My SMB performance from my nas could be better but it's fine. I find I'm using icefilms 90% of the time now anyway.

I got atv580 (with antenna) on order, should be here next week, I'll test the wifi on it.

RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - atv2jber - 2013-12-21

(2013-12-21, 16:19)superfreak79 Wrote: Why is future on Android? I mean... Linux is obviously a better XBMC experience. Is it about selling pseudo-ATV boxes?

Cheers.

Yeah, a Linux based version is better but we will have to see who generates it. Pivos did this out of the gate, then Geniatech jumped on board but Geniatech only pushed it out when they could leach it off of someone else. Sad. So what will happen when the quad-core device come out, it's going to be around the corner. Will Geniatech offer Linux-XBMC right away? Probably not.

Yes, you should beable to use dns-masq options in DD-WRT to intercept the DNS queries and send them to any of the unblocking services.

Regards.

Edit: BTW myGica is the retail version of Geniatech. They are one and the same, don't be fooled.

(2013-12-21, 23:40)atv2jber Wrote: Yes, you should beable to use dns-masq options in DD-WRT to intercept the DNS queries and send them to any of the unblocking services.

Thanks will try that.