Kodi Community Forum
Cheapest NUC I've come across COMPARED to Ouya UK - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Cheapest NUC I've come across COMPARED to Ouya UK (/showthread.php?tid=171590)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Cheapest NUC I've come across COMPARED to Ouya UK - MediaPi - 2013-08-18

From reading all posts in XBMC.org I can only see the NUC from US perspective, this is some love to the UK
For people that live in the UK this is a price list of the cheapest NUC I can find

Intel BOXDCCP847DYE Desktop PC - (Celeron 847,QS77, DDR3,USB 2.0, 2x HDMI, Windows 8) - £138.28
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-BOXDCCP847DYE-Desktop-PC-Celeron/dp/B00B4O00EM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1376943531&sr=8-3&keywords=intel+nuc

Samsung 2GB Kit (2 x 1GB) DDR3 1066Mhz PC3-8500 Laptop Memory - £4.99
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-2GB-Kit-2-x-1GB-DDR3-1066Mhz-PC3-8500-Laptop-Memory-/110757787050?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_Me moryRAM_JN&hash=item19c9adb5aa

Kingspec 32GB mSATA SATA Mini PCle (KSD-m.SATA.5-032MJ) SSD Solid State Drive CE - £24.99
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kingspec-32GB-mSATA-SATA-Mini-PCle-KSD-m-SATA-5-032MJ-SSD-Solid-State-Drive-CE-/190702476929?pt=UK_Computing_HardDrives_RL&hash=item2c66c0de81

MELE F10 USB 2.4G Wireless Remote Control Fly Air Mouse Keyboard Android TV Box - £18.98
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MELE-F10-USB-2-4G-Wireless-Remote-Control-Fly-Air-Mouse-Keyboard-Android-TV-Box-/181191341630?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Internet_TV_Media_ Streamers&hash=item2a2fd8763e

TOTAL £187.24

Considering if you brought the Ouya and didn't like the remote and decided to get the Mele f10 remote that would cost you
£100+£18.98=£118.98

So for an extra £68.26 you get

** 2GB Ram as apposed to 1GB Ram (upgradable to 16 GB / no upgrade to Ouya) x2

** 32 GB mSata as apposed to 8 GB emmc (4 times(mSata I believe is much faster than eMMC) x4

** Five USB 2.0 ports vs 1 USB 2.0 and 1 micro USB 2.0 (x2.5)

** Dual-HDMI ports supporting HDMI 1.4a output vs Single HDMI 1.4 x2

** Eight-channel (7.1) digital audio via one HDMI 1.4a output vs HDMI (5.1) digital audio

** Gigabit (10/100/1000) Lan vs 10/100 Lan

** 1 x Mini-PCIe mSATA (future upgrades) vs no upgrades

** another 1 x Mini-PCIe ( so you got one full size and one half size) the other can be used for wireless module, so it can be hidden instead of a USB dongle

** Openelec on x86 vs xbmc for android (infinte less frustation compared to well you know)

** and last but most important the hardware in the NUC is a lot more powerful.

I'm not sure how much better performance the NUC will have but I'm guessing alot
for an extra £68.26

NUC should have its own section it looks pretty awesome man
The extra 68.26 will be well spent considering this system can last you for 5 good years with incremental upgrades

check out the amazing performace (has only 1 ram as apposed to the price of two)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR8pH-y0vd0

RE: Cheapest NUC I've come across COMPARED to Ouya UK - Bmul - 2013-08-18

Nice comparison but you forgot the bluetooth and wifi in the OUYA.

Also you have to pay import cost on the OUYA + 21%

I own an OUYA, but also having the NUC i5 tomorrow!

The Ouya is nice because it works out of the box.
And soon XBMC will be supported out of the box.

Installing windows on the NUC will set you back another 100 bucks.

RE: Cheapest NUC I've come across COMPARED to Ouya UK - jammyb - 2013-08-18

Hey! I'm UK! Tongue

RE: Cheapest NUC I've come across COMPARED to Ouya UK - MediaPi - 2013-08-18

(2013-08-18, 22:56)Bmul Wrote: Nice comparison but you forgot the bluetooth and wifi in the OUYA.

Also you have to pay import cost on the OUYA + 21%

I own an OUYA, but also having the NUC i5 tomorrow!

The Ouya is nice because it works out of the box.
And soon XBMC will be supported out of the box.

Installing windows on the NUC will set you back another 100 bucks.

300Mbps USB Wireless Adapter WiFi Lan Network Card IEEE 802.11b/g/n Antenna #K - £4.49
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300Mbps-USB-Wireless-Adapter-WiFi-Lan-Network-Card-IEEE-802-11b-g-n-Antenna-K-/170925379381?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item27cbf24f35

the wifi on the Ouya won't work past 1 meter from what I've heard. I personally have broaught this wifi from this seller. It plays 1080p no buffering 2 floors up on my Pi. And its not those cheap 150mps at 150 m range.

the bluetooth adapter can be brought for £1 from poundland. Since its an x86 all hardware supports that.

Ouya works out of the box? I thought you have to sideload it and its a nightmare, it doesn't 100% work flawlessly. You can install openelec on the NUC for free. So even if you wanted bluetooth and wifi it will cost you another £5.49 (I could have choose a very cheap wifi dongle but this is the best for the money)

report back on your i5, thats a beast compared to this celeron version Smile
also Ouya sells on Amazon Uk for £100, I'm not talking about importing

(2013-08-18, 23:06)jammyb Wrote: Hey! I'm UK! Tongue

thats why I posted Wink we need to stick together because I don't see alot of love for the £ lol

RE: Cheapest NUC I've come across COMPARED to Ouya UK - nickr - 2013-08-19

What do you want wifi for? It is largely a waste of money in an HTPC.

RE: Cheapest NUC I've come across COMPARED to Ouya UK - Dougie Fresh - 2013-08-19

Celeron 847 is really the best bang for the buck with OpenELEC. Nice thread and great post.

RE: Cheapest NUC I've come across COMPARED to Ouya UK - jammyb - 2013-08-19

(2013-08-19, 02:54)nickr Wrote: What do you want wifi for? It is largely a waste of money in an HTPC.

Hear hear!

RE: Cheapest NUC I've come across COMPARED to Ouya UK - Bmul - 2013-08-19

You could use wifi to control the HTPC whit Yatse remote?
Instead of IR remote.

RE: Cheapest NUC I've come across COMPARED to Ouya UK - eskro - 2013-08-19

+1 for yatse

(2013-08-19, 08:21)Bmul Wrote: You could use wifi to control the HTPC whit Yatse remote?
Instead of IR remote.
What has this to do with whether your XBMC machine is connected to your server/internet via wifi? Most routers bridge the wifi/wired networks into one subnet, so my wifi android phone communicates with my wired XBMC box.

(2013-08-19, 09:39)nickr Wrote:
(2013-08-19, 08:21)Bmul Wrote: You could use wifi to control the HTPC whit Yatse remote?
Instead of IR remote.
What has this to do with whether your XBMC machine is connected to your server/internet via wifi? Most routers bridge the wifi/wired networks into one subnet, so my wifi android phone communicates with my wired XBMC box.

Yes you can do it both ways.

But the way you suggest, i would need a wired network connection and a router and within the range of the wifi network.

If the wifi is on the NUC you could enable an ad hoc network and you're done.

Also it come in handy when you retire the NUC in the future. And will use it for some other basic task instead Home cinema

RE: Cheapest NUC I've come across COMPARED to Ouya UK - Ned Scott - 2013-08-19

I'd go with the NUC as well, but a few points made are just... silly.

Quote:SILENT vs fan
BOTH have a fan, and the NUC fan is much louder than the OUYA fan. You can get a fanless case, but that's not factored into your price/comparison.

Quote:Upgradable vs No upgrades
Quote:infinite updates to NUC so should last for 5 years
This is downright false. Even if the OUYA company goes under, the hardware is so open that people can install replacement OSes in it, including linux. There's no signs that the OUYA company itself is going to go under, by the way, and they've been putting out updates to the OUYA left and right.

Quote:unlimited Microsoft hardware ecossytem Vs very very limited Android hardware ecosystem
wat. What does Microsoft have to do with any of this? Is this a typo?

Almost anything that you would want to plug into the USB port on either device should work just fine on either device.

You also forgot to make the most important point of all, that the hardware in the NUC is a lot more powerful.

Are you trying to inform people or just slam the OUYA?

So you aren't ever going to store media on another computer on your network and stream it to your nuc? Suit yourself.

(2013-08-19, 10:09)nickr Wrote: So you aren't ever going to store media on another computer on your network and stream it to your nuc? Suit yourself.

I have a 2TB external hard drive which i am going to use whit the NUC.
No need need for streaming.

Maybe i build an unRAID server whit the NUC in the future.
Or use it as a server

Cheapest NUC I've come across COMPARED to Ouya UK - kees667 - 2013-08-19

Thanks for the write up. However I need optical out as I don't have an HDMI receiver. Do the higher end nucs offer this?