Kodi Community Forum
Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) (/showthread.php?tid=174854)

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - fritsch - 2013-10-20

@beschmid:
Make sure you have at least one pvr plugin installed and enabled the plugin prior to enable LiveTV.

@the rest:
Read the howto again. I currently only support Raring, if you need other things - you are on your own.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - wsnipex - 2013-10-20

for those asking for saucy, I uploaded a mesa package to my mesa ppa, completely untested though, feedback welcome.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - burgerga - 2013-10-20

(2013-10-20, 16:06)wsnipex Wrote: for those asking for saucy, I uploaded a mesa package to my mesa ppa, completely untested though, feedback welcome.

Hey wsnipex, is the mesa you uploaded for saucy inlcuding the patch for the white screen in xbmc. If so could you point me to some instructions on how to build mesa with this patch?
I need mesa for precise, and the mesa package in oibaf doesnt work lj xbmc (white screen, but acoording to qvdpautest everything else works fine) (and according to fritsch im on my own Tongue).

Patch a) http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2013-October/046704.html
Patch b) http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2013-October/046703.html

Have fun.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - Maxi - 2013-10-20

(2013-10-20, 09:35)fritsch Wrote: They are packaged in the linux-firmware version I suggest to be installed via oibaf or via wsnipex mesa.

Did you follow the howto? Based on Ubuntu Raring?

Hi

Yes, I followed all the howto steps except the ones related to autostart. Also, I started from a fresh linux-Mint 15 install, which is basically Ubuntu Raring. The strange thing is that REDWOOD firmware were there, all of them except REDWOOD_smc.bin.

The firmware and the ppa suggested on the first page include this firmware. If you don't stick to the howto or use other Ubuntu / Mint etc. version, don't complain later.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - Maxi - 2013-10-20

(2013-10-20, 20:57)fritsch Wrote: The firmware and the ppa suggested on the first page include this firmware. If you don't stick to the howto or use other Ubuntu / Mint etc. version, don't complain later.

I'm not complaining :-) I've only posted the problem I had and the solution to that problem (at least the one I found) just in case somebody else faces the same problem.

I agree that it's not possible to write a How-To that covers all cases, and we do appreciate your work and help. I'm only sharing some experience with the community

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - blm14 - 2013-10-21

OK so I did a sudo apt-get upgrade and now for some reason my remote stopped working. I didn't change anything with LIRC. And it looks like the O/S is still seeing the clicks just fine:

Code:
xbmc@xbmc-GA-E350N:~$ sudo irw
000000037ff07bdd 00 KEY_OK mceusb
000000037ff07bdd 01 KEY_OK mceusb

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - blm14 - 2013-10-21

OK never mind. Moved I/R sensor to a different usb port, rebooted, and now its working again. Very strange!

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - nitroboost - 2013-10-21

I've been running with AccelMethod glamor in xorg.conf for a week or so without issue, has anyone else played with that? I'm guessing the gains are minimal as most everything is rendered with the hardware, but seems useful to have enabled. Also, on my A6-5400K, the sensors output is some odd scaled number for the temp. It appears when using 'sensors -f', which is meant for Fahrenheit, it actually outputs a proper Celsius reading which XBMC will then scale to F for you. Just figured that might be interesting to someone..

I had a question about the hardware scalars though, fritsch mentioned a few pages back keeping it on bilinear. Do most people not use the other scalars? Bilinear seems a bit washed out to my eye and creates images that are too bright. I ended up flipping on enablehighqualityhwscalers and have it on lanczos3 currently which seems to be working solidly. I know more processing leaves more room for error also, but was just curious as to everyone's thoughts on the scalers and which are the most used on the Radeon's.

Lastly, I've been on optical for audio, as up until 3.12 I couldn't get audio over HDMI working despite all of the hacks in this thread. With 3.12 it works, but audio plays at what seems to be about 1/4 the proper speed. IE the menu clicks probably take a full second, and it seems the video tries to slow down to the same speed. I'm guessing this relates to the audio clock fixes that were recently put in? I'll flip debug mode on here shortly and see if I can grab anything interesting, but figured I'd see if anyone else was having that issue.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - beschmid - 2013-10-21

(2013-10-20, 15:47)fritsch Wrote: @beschmid:
Make sure you have at least one pvr plugin installed and enabled the plugin prior to enable LiveTV.

@fritsch - I am sorry to clog up this forum with this unrelated issue, but there is absolutely no Settings -> Add-ons -> Enabled add-ons -> PVR Clients, or Settings -> Add-ons -> Disabled add-ons -> PVR Clients in my addons. I have already installed TVheadend and configured everything, I just need to install the tvheadend addon in the PVR section of the addons, BUT there is no PVR section. Nowhere. I have no idea what to do other than to install a different version of XBMC. I am using the confluence skin if that helps.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - laric - 2013-10-21

(2013-10-21, 02:36)beschmid Wrote:
(2013-10-20, 15:47)fritsch Wrote: @beschmid:

@fritsch - I am sorry to clog up this forum with this unrelated issue, but there is absolutely no Settings -> Add-ons -> Enabled add-ons -> PVR Clients, or Settings -> Add-ons -> Disabled add-ons -> PVR Clients in my addons. I have already installed TVheadend and configured everything, I just need to install the tvheadend addon in the PVR section of the addons, BUT there is no PVR section. Nowhere. I have no idea what to do other than to install a different version of XBMC. I am using the confluence skin if that helps.

sudo apt-get install xbmc-pvr-tvheadend-hts

That should install the appropriate pvr addon as far as I know.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - fritsch - 2013-10-21

@nitroboost:

Can you please try a kernel from here: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.12-rc6-saucy/

Just pick the 2 x64 files and the one _all file.

Set your audio speakers to 2.0 and only enable AC3 / DTS and retry please.

Concerning the scalers:
There is a special setting in Video Playback: Allow high quality scalers when scaling more than __% value. I normally set this to 20% and save lanczos 3 optimized for all my videos.

This puts obviously more load to the GPU when upscaling e.g. 576i to 1080p, so when it stutters for you, set the lanczos3 to bilinear.

Bilinear is the lowest load possible, perhaps nearest neighbour is comparable, both in load and quality - I mostly tell to use this in order to rule slow rendering by drivers.

3.11.6 from ubuntu mainline won't work as it will only pulsing audio, it is missing the CEA patches, which are already in 3.12-rc6 and refered to in that howto when 3.11 was to be used.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - Claudio.Sjo - 2013-10-21

Hi,
I've just updated my iMac to Lubuntu 13.10, I'm goin to help with testing.
One quick request : whenever compiling a patched kernel, may you please add Firewire support as default?
If not, I cannot use my external HDD.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - fritsch - 2013-10-21

I use default Ubuntu config, so what is in there is also in my kernel, I don't do special things.