Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - TheReef510 - 2014-11-15

So I got a replacement i3 nuc and the same parts work fine on it, like it should. So the last one had to have been a lemon. I am still so confused as to what happened. oh well

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - a5ian300zx - 2014-11-18

Guys what combination are you using with your i5 or i3 nuc? I.e windows then xbmc or Linux xbmc?

I just want to know the best way to configure it without any issue. auto launch in xbmc and be able to download plug in and themes.

Thanks

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - scarecrow420 - 2014-11-18

I think it comes down to what else you want to do with it (if anything) and what you want to go with or are familiar with. Personally I'm on windows 8.1 with XBMC as I can support it/tweak it in my sleep, though I am interested in giving openelec a try at some stage just for kicks

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - nickr - 2014-11-18

Often a matter of personal preference/taste.

Linux is lighter, more reliable, in particular openelec is very light, automatically updates, takes 5 minutes to install.

But some people are stuck on windows. They don't want the learning curve (not that it is huge with openelec) and/or want to run other software.

Each to their own. openelec is a 5 minute install. If you don't like it, fork out for windows.

Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - frarev - 2014-11-18

(2014-11-18, 09:46)a5ian300zx Wrote: Guys what combination are you using with your i5 or i3 nuc? I.e windows then xbmc or Linux xbmc?

I just want to know the best way to configure it without any issue. auto launch in xbmc and be able to download plug in and themes.

Thanks

Definitively openelec. Free, easy, dedicated to xbmc. All xbmc functions are fully supported like themes. And you will need a lighter hardware configuring in ram and disk than Windows.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Taxcheat - 2014-11-18

(2014-11-18, 09:58)nickr Wrote: But some people are stuck on windows. They don't want the learning curve (not that it is huge with openelec) and/or want to run other software.

The more accurate answer is: if you want to run Netflix at max quality or run native bluray from a disc, you need Windows (specifically Windows 8 for SuperHD netflix).

I otherwise would prefer linux, if for no other reason than to save $80 for the license.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - a5ian300zx - 2014-11-18

thanks guys, I already have windows 8.1 license which I can recycle from my laptop.

I would like to have the ability to playback. Iso with full menu of possible and also 3d playback.

I build the hardware to be quite powerful I bought the haswell i5 nuc as it resolves the 24 hz bug and I have 8gb ram and 120gb msata drive to future proof myself.

I like aeon theme, I want to be able to have BBC iplayer, itv player of available. I familiar with Windows and not Linux but heard Linux is more reliable and just works.

the last time I tried xbmc was on version 10 when it did not have hd audio support and had to ticker too much with it to get it work.

So i am after simple solution that can support the above and that boots straight into xbmc without loosing focus etc from my previous experience with xbmc and windows 7.

any advice is always appreciated.

Thanks

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Powerhouse - 2014-11-18

So I have a Haswell i5 NUC running Windows 8.1 (or 7 if needed) and Gotham 13.2, and would like to know what Graphics settings people are using to get the best picture quality? I've noticed some Deinterlacing issues (jaggies or lines around fast motion watching Live TV, or fast scenes in DVD/BluRay movies).

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Stereodude - 2014-11-18

(2014-11-18, 19:25)a5ian300zx Wrote: thanks guys, I already have windows 8.1 license which I can recycle from my laptop.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - nickr - 2014-11-18

(2014-11-18, 15:15)Taxcheat Wrote:
(2014-11-18, 09:58)nickr Wrote: But some people are stuck on windows. They don't want the learning curve (not that it is huge with openelec) and/or want to run other software.

The more accurate answer is: if you want to run Netflix at max quality or run native bluray from a disc, you need Windows (specifically Windows 8 for SuperHD netflix).

I otherwise would prefer linux, if for no other reason than to save $80 for the license.

Netflix - true.

Bluray is palayable from linux, although the (IMHO usually annoying) menus may not work.

Re: RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - a5ian300zx - 2014-11-18

(2014-11-18, 20:15)Stereodude Wrote:
(2014-11-18, 19:25)a5ian300zx Wrote: thanks guys, I already have windows 8.1 license which I can recycle from my laptop.
it was not part of the laptop I bought it separately so can install on any one device.

Thanks

Re: RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - a5ian300zx - 2014-11-18

(2014-11-18, 20:15)Stereodude Wrote:
it was not part of the laptop I bought it separately so can install on any one device.

Thanks

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - diddle - 2014-11-19

Edit: forget this post, sorry

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - chongwho - 2014-11-24

I had my Harmony 650 working reasonably well with my Haswel i5 nuc on Openelec 3.2.4. I used this forum and the openelec forum to create the autostart.sh, edited the keymap xml and somehow got it working.

After upgrading to Openelec 4, it wiped everything so I have to start again. Just wondering if all of these steps were still needed with the new OE and Gotham? Or if there is a new, easier way to get the harmony 650 working?

Also, if anyone could confirm what 'device' they have succesfully used in the MyHarmony setup process.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Edit: Somehow it started working again. Simple SSH to create autostart.sh, added the remote and lirc xml's found on the Openelec forum and re-synced from MyHarmony using the Microsoft Windows Media Centre Extender device. All is well. Some minor editing to be done in MyHarmony to get things exactly how I want them.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - solamnic - 2014-12-03

any news on changelog for bios 032?