Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - lmyllari - 2013-11-20

(2013-11-20, 16:52)Alchete Wrote: SUCCESS!

Colors are correct!
Software decoding now has multithreading option that works!

I was able to fully decode the two 40Mbps clips I tried.

My setup: Intel Haswell i3 NUC
Excellent! Sounds like we have a working solution for now.

If I could get the RGB level signaling working, I could use your setup and hack it to tell my monitor to use limited range - no banding, perfect picture. For monitors that default to limited range, that's not necessary. Not much progress yet, but Intel engineers are responding, see https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=71769

To get hardware decoding working, I'm trying to modify libva-driver-intel to use bt.709 coefficients instead of bt.601. This would of course be just a workaround, since SD material needs bt.601. It might still be useful for those of us that mainly watch HD. There is a bug open about the issue (which should be fixed properly), but no response yet; see https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=71719

The CIR issue doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Maybe something could be added to the nuvoton-cir driver to detect the problem and work around it. Trying to get something from Intel at https://communities.intel.com/thread/46259 but no luck so far.

The power off issues should probably be reported as a kernel bug. I don't have any details on that yet.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - nc88keyz - 2013-11-20

Newegg has a very good price on the haswell nuc i3 today. at $284.99 shipped.

Combine with google wallet checkout (-10.00) or ebay cash back rewards could make for a nice deal.

FYI Newegg is selling item on ebay as well and it is tagged as 5% off.

Yesterday, I dumped my xbox360 launch box off at best buy for $100 amazon gift card. "Seemed like the thing to do at the time, to think they made this think this heavy and without hdmi"

You can see how this situation does not help me with newegg's price. lol

Decisions....

Hopefully it will be out of stock when i return from the barbershop.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Mangoes - 2013-11-20

(2013-11-20, 18:45)lmyllari Wrote: Excellent! Sounds like we have a working solution for now.

As long as you aren't playing back from 3D blurays it should be fine. When I play my 3D bluray mkv remuxes in 2D I get ~10 dropped frames in 2 or 3 minutes on fast scenes. With vaapi it's fine but then the blacks are off.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Selene - 2013-11-20

(2013-11-20, 17:29)merlinn31 Wrote: In Windows 7 Ultimate N: MKV Bluray rips take forever to start playing on my NUC i3 haswell. I upped the video memory to 1G and I have 8G of RAM total. I had a ton of sound and video issues with XBMCBuntu and noticed the same long delay. Openelec was a little better but had the issue displaying blacks. BoxeeBox plays them just fine.

I haven't had any issues like that. Are you sure that False fullscreen isn't enabled in your video options?

(2013-11-20, 18:52)Mangoes Wrote: As long as you aren't playing back from 3D blurays it should be fine. When I play my 3D bluray mkv remuxes in 2D I get ~10 dropped frames in 2 or 3 minutes on fast scenes. With vaapi it's fine but then the blacks are off.
VA-API should handle blacks ok, it's the colors that are the problem. I'm trying to work around that for HD material (I have patched the YUV->RGB shader, but can't build the shader assembler - I can provide a patch if anybody wants to try building them).

Software decoding allows you to select between full range and limited range RGB, VA-API is fixed to full range. However, you can use xrandr to force output to limited range.

With VA-API, if your display wants:
1) limited range: xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Limited 16:235" (this is the default setting, uses GPU to scale everything from full to limited range)
2) full range: xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"

Don't set xbmc to limited range in either case.

With software decoding, if your display wants:
1) limited range: either use the default settings for everything (decoder scales to full range, GPU scales back to limited range), OR xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full" and set xbmc to limited range (this decodes without converting to full range and outputs without range scaling)
2) full range: xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Crssi - 2013-11-20

When I create USB Live with latest nightly build that is r16406 it boots into installer and not into Live USB.
The same procedure works with build r15413.

Just quick inform... today I have got SSD, but the NUC struggled and die on me. I needed to replace it.
Now I have tried Win 8.1 and it looks that HW decoding really Works, but was tested on a monitor. Maybe today will try on TV to fully confirm.

Anyway I would like to try latest night build of Gotham, but failing to create Live USB. Sad

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - gamble - 2013-11-20

So i just tried a Iil more....seems that my reboot Problem is still present :/
And althought my framerates are stable i think i am recognicing some microstutter every now and then..so i wonder in this Would be fixed if i set the framerate to 24p...any thoughts?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Mangoes - 2013-11-20

(2013-11-20, 19:17)lmyllari Wrote: VA-API should handle blacks ok, it's the colors that are the problem.

Yes, the blacks are black. Colors are beautiful.

What I mean, is that the dark areas are all black. Too dark. So you are saying this is a color issue and not a blacks issue? Okay then, we understand each other Wink

This is with xrandr Full + VAAPI + XBMC set to Limited range. (as was suggested earlier in the thread as being the best setting with vaapi). If I don't enable Limited range in XBMC it's even darker.

If I keep these same settings but disable vaapi everything is perfect. (haven't tried to disable the limited range in the XMBC options with software decoding... I'll try this).

(2013-11-20, 19:17)lmyllari Wrote: I'm trying to work around that for HD material (I have patched the YUV->RGB shader, but can't build the shader assembler - I can provide a patch if anybody wants to try building them).

Awesome. Please keep us posted.

(2013-11-20, 19:33)gamble Wrote: So i just tried a Iil more....seems that my reboot Problem is still present :/
And althought my framerates are stable i think i am recognicing some microstutter every now and then..so i wonder in this Would be fixed if i set the framerate to 24p...any thoughts?

Assuming you have a 24p capable TV, the best is to always match the frame rate to the source (there's a setting for this in the video options).

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Alchete - 2013-11-20

lymllari, thank you for all the links. I'll be happy to pile on and keep those threads active.

I assume you're trying to build the driver/shader assembly directly in OpenELEC? Can you give a link to the source code and the steps you've taken to build it?

Are you an EE? Just curious. Smile

BTW, I have the same Shutdown bug in XBMC -- on first shutdown, the NUC just reboots. After XBMC relaunches, a second shutdown finally works.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Platypus2 - 2013-11-20

(2013-11-20, 19:06)Selene Wrote:
(2013-11-20, 17:29)merlinn31 Wrote: In Windows 7 Ultimate N: MKV Bluray rips take forever to start playing on my NUC i3 haswell. I upped the video memory to 1G and I have 8G of RAM total. I had a ton of sound and video issues with XBMCBuntu and noticed the same long delay. Openelec was a little better but had the issue displaying blacks. BoxeeBox plays them just fine.

I haven't had any issues like that. Are you sure that False fullscreen isn't enabled in your video options?

I second this, I had issues with fullscreen window and blurays, seems true fullscreen fixed it.

(2013-11-20, 19:56)Alchete Wrote: lymllari, thank you for all the links. I'll be happy to pile on and keep those threads active.

I assume you're trying to build the driver/shader assembly directly in OpenELEC? Can you give a link to the source code and the steps you've taken to build it?
I checked out OE from git, switched to branch openelec-3.2 and built everything with "PROJECT=Intel ARCH=x86_64 make release -j8" to check that everything works (and to get the sources downloaded, extracted and patched).

I am now looking into build.OpenELEC-Intel.x86_64-devel/libva-driver-intel-1.2.1/src/shaders/render/exa_wm_yuv_rgb.g7a. I've changed the bt.601 coefs to bt.709, but to build the .g7b I would need the shader compiler from intel-gpu-tools. When I can get that to build, I'll use it to compile the shader, put the new .g7b in place and rebuild OE. Or if that doesn't work, make a patch and put it in the package directory (I think the build system applies patches for us on top original sources).

See http://paste.ubuntu.com/6449587/ for the shader patch.

Quote:Are you an EE? Just curious. Smile
Just a regular software hacker. Smile

(2013-11-20, 20:37)Platypus2 Wrote:
(2013-11-20, 19:06)Selene Wrote:

I second this, I had issues with fullscreen window and blurays, seems true fullscreen fixed it.

When you exit a movie after it's over, do you sometimes have no menu sounds and flickering screen until you open/close another video?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Platypus2 - 2013-11-20

(2013-11-20, 22:51)Selene Wrote:
(2013-11-20, 20:37)Platypus2 Wrote:
(2013-11-20, 19:06)Selene Wrote: I haven't had any issues like that. Are you sure that False fullscreen isn't enabled in your video options?

When you exit a movie after it's over, do you sometimes have no menu sounds and flickering screen until you open/close another video?

I haven't yet had that, I'll let you know if I did though.

(2013-11-20, 23:10)Platypus2 Wrote:
(2013-11-20, 22:51)Selene Wrote:
(2013-11-20, 20:37)Platypus2 Wrote: I second this, I had issues with fullscreen window and blurays, seems true fullscreen fixed it.

I haven't yet had that, I'll let you know if I did though.

What XBMC version? I'm using Nov 18 nightly running Aeox Nox 4.09

Might be a skin issue, since it flickers sometimes when editing skin features. Will test. I'd use confluence but Ican't find a way to make it look decent.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - gamble - 2013-11-20

I encountered a new Problem, with the actual Nightly Build my Movie Scraper doesn't work anymore,
new videos don't show up in xvmc...just downgraded again to add the Library again :/