Kodi Community Forum
New Harmony Smart Control Remote - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: New Harmony Smart Control Remote (/showthread.php?tid=177381)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: New Harmony Smart Control Remote - zag - 2014-02-04

The IR signal comes from the hub, not the remote.

RE: New Harmony Smart Control Remote - Packet Loss - 2014-02-04

(2014-02-03, 20:56)furii Wrote: i have no issues with buttons not working. whether the issue you're referring to or not is present i couldn't tell you. i've never come across it.

Are you using Lirc or alternative drivers for the remote?

RE: New Harmony Smart Control Remote - furii - 2014-02-04

(2014-02-04, 11:35)Packet Loss Wrote:
(2014-02-03, 20:56)furii Wrote: i have no issues with buttons not working. whether the issue you're referring to or not is present i couldn't tell you. i've never come across it.

Are you using Lirc or alternative drivers for the remote?

i'm using a flirc which is recognized as a keyboard. but when i was using a harmony 550 and mce receiver i never had the issue there either using lirc.

RE: New Harmony Smart Control Remote - Packet Loss - 2014-02-04

Nevermind guys, got this working, in short you can't get away with not using LIRC in some form.

I went for inputlirc which is working perfectly for me now whilst still using the native drivers.

RE: New Harmony Smart Control Remote - Rusti - 2014-02-04

I have recently got this all working on Windows 7, RC6 USB IR receiver and myharmony.com
I followed mainly this guide but had to tweak it a bit.
My Intel NUC stays powered on all the time so I had slightly different power settings.
I installed the xbmccustomregis software (auto installer) mainly to take advantage of the SmartFocus feature as when I switched to the Media Centre sometimes the automated Win+1 command would bring the Start Menu to the front.
I ended up mapping the red and blue coloured buttons to Win+1 and Alt+F4 to open and close XBMC anyway. I had to custom map things like Menu, Exit, Back etc. Most other controls worked straight away. Very small amount of lag but apparently there are tweaks to fix that.
If there is any interest in an updated Windows 7 Harmony Smart Control setup tutorial I will write one. Let me know.

Re: RE: New Harmony Smart Control Remote - Evergreen4 - 2014-02-05

(2014-02-04, 22:24)Rusti Wrote: I ended up mapping the red and blue coloured buttons to Win+1 and Alt+F4 to open and close XBMC anyway.

Hi Rusti,

How do you map combinations of 2 keys??
I thought that Harmony software did not allow this...

Thanks

RE: New Harmony Smart Control Remote - bambi73 - 2014-03-07

Hello guys,

i consider buying new remote in close future and Smart Control looks like good candidate. But after Harmony One debacle i don't believe Logitech single word, so I want some confirmations from users:
  • Afaik Smart Control remote uses RF to communicate with Hub which then transmit signal over IR to devices. My setup is "triangle" with AV Receiver + BR player on the left, HTPC on the right (~1,5-2m distance between them) and TV above. My question is where I can place Hub? My idea is to put it on the top of HTPC (behind devices front cover where IR receiver are) but afaik for transmitting IR signal you need to be in line of sight of receiver (otherwise only reflections are received). On Logitech forum I read that Hub works fine even with no direct line of sight, can someone confirm it? Because placing hub somewhere in middle/back of living room isn't option for me (no easily available electricity for example) and I don't want to buy it to only find that it doesn't work correctly.
  • How fast is remote? Everywhere I read it's faster than Harmony One, but for that i can't stand up and press button directly and still will be faster Smile. Can someone tell me what happen if you hold Down button in some XBMC list view? Is it close to what you get when you do same with keyboard? My experience with Harmony One was 300ms delay (after all possible configuration changes and support from Logitech) between each item in view and it continued to move for few sec even after I released Down button. Unusable and horrible Smile.

RE: New Harmony Smart Control Remote - Crssi - 2014-03-07

It doesnt matter where in the room you place it. IR signal is so strong enough that everything will receive it IR signal.
Fast? I dont see any lag at all.
Holding down is close to keyboard... it is not the same, but it doesnt bother me (and I am easily bothered Smile)

Its the best remote ever, you wont regret.
In the beggining you will make a setup, which will be wrog, but you will get into the setup mindset correctly. Then you will do it again, the right way. And the third time, you will already know exactly what are your needs, and very posiibly this would be the last time you will enter setup. Maybe some tweaks for your additional need after. And thats it.

RE: New Harmony Smart Control Remote - furii - 2014-03-07

my experience is the same as crssi. barely any lag, certainly better than any other harmony remote i've ever owned (550, 1100). i'm having a hard time envisioning your setup. i have my equipment in a cabinet and the hub is able to control everything even without line of sight. additionally it comes with one (you can buy a second) ir blaster that you should be able to run to control something that maybe isn't getting signals.

RE: New Harmony Smart Control Remote - zag - 2014-03-07

I sold a harmony one to upgrade to this. The speed is so much faster, you cant even compare it.

This remote is the best I have ever used.

RE: New Harmony Smart Control Remote - bambi73 - 2014-03-08

Thanks all for feedback. I'm still not 100% sure about IR coverage but guess I'll consider buying Smile

RE: New Harmony Smart Control Remote - Crssi - 2014-03-08

You worry without a reason really. IR coverage will not dissapoint you. I have tested the hub in a way that I have placed it behind the couch with no line of sight with any of the controlling devices.
The IR blast is so powerfull that you would need to put a hub really in a totaly closed box to break the IR signalling.

RE: New Harmony Smart Control Remote - bambi73 - 2014-03-08

Ok, that sounds promising Smile
Thanks for your test Crssi

RE: New Harmony Smart Control Remote - zag - 2014-03-08

Yes I have my transmitter behind my couch with no line of sight to my projector and it turns it on and off flawlessly.

RE: New Harmony Smart Control Remote - chill8 - 2014-03-09

I just found out about this remote, and it looks like to be the ultimate solution! Can anyone give me some suggestion on whether I need to buy anything else for it to work with my setup please?
Setup:
1. OTA connected to TV
2. Chromecast connected to TV
3. 3-port HDMI switch connected TV
4. XMBC running on HTPC connected to HDMI switch
5. Roku 3 connected to HDMI switch

My main concern is whether I need to get this Flirc thing for the remote to work with the HTPC running Windows 7. I saw it mentioned a couple time in this thread but not exactly sure what it is and what it does. Any suggestion is appreciated. Thank you!