Kodi Community Forum
XBMC on OSX, Files on NAS, NIGHTMARE!!! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: XBMC on OSX, Files on NAS, NIGHTMARE!!! (/showthread.php?tid=177505)

Pages: 1 2 3

XBMC on OSX, Files on NAS, NIGHTMARE!!! - Shinji - 2013-11-08

So I have been trying to figure this out for a while now and I believe it is beyond me. I am a traveling freelance artist with a HUGE dvd and bluray collection. There is no way I can bring all of these disks with me, so I have been wanting to digitize them, leave the hard copies in storage and run an HTPC.

I bought a synology 1513+ for the file server and have a mac mini running OSX 10.6.4. For the router, I am using a Cisco E1000 with the IP already fixed and working well for the NAS.

A side problem that I am running into is while I am staying with friends (as I said, I travel and have no "roots", so I rely on other people's wireless) I am stuck with their "wireless only" internet, so I can't connect my router to it. That means that I can either have XBMC on the mini connected to the NAS through my E1000, or connect to the internet through their wi-fi. I foresee this being hard to populate my thumbnails.

Now the main problem is setting up the connection to get the Mac's XBMC to see the files on the NAS. Can someone look over my advancedsettings and see if this looks correct?

<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.1.xxxx</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xxxx</user>
<pass>xxxx</pass>
<name>xbmc_video</name>
</videodatabase>
<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.1.xxxx</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xxxx</user>
<pass>xxxx</pass>
<name>xbmc_music</name>
</musicdatabase>
<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
<to>smb://Morgue/Media/Video/00_Thumbnails/</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

and my sources........

<sources>
<video>
<default></default>
<source>
<name>Television</name>
<path pathversion="1">smb://Morgue/Media/Video/Television/</path>
</source>
<source>
<name>Movies</name>
<path pathversion="1">smb://Morgue/Media/Video/Film/</path>
</source>
</video>

<files>
<default></default>
</files>

<programs>
<default></default>
</programs>

</sources>

Can you even tell what the problem is with that information? I am really wanting to get this set up correctly.

When I have it like this, I can see the "movies" and "television" folders, but when I go to edit the video source to associate what they are, it says "Error - Operation timed out", then "Unable to connect. Could not retrieve directory information. This could be due to the network not being connected. Would you like to add it anyway?"

Thoughts? Any input would be appreciated.

RE: XBMC on OSX, Files on NAS, NIGHTMARE!!! - Ned Scott - 2013-11-08

Not sure why you are using MySQL if you are traveling a lot and having to use several different wireless networks. Even if you have multiple XBMC devices, using MySQL like that is really hard to maintain. Just use a normal local library setup and maybe use UPnP (wiki) to share he library.

RE: XBMC on OSX, Files on NAS, NIGHTMARE!!! - Shinji - 2013-11-08

Although I am traveling, it will always be the same NAS, router and mac mini and the router is set up to allow the NAS the same static IP. I also have a win 7 laptop that I was also going to link up. I intend on piggybacking this router off other routers once I get to one that has a hard line out to allow internet access.

RE: XBMC on OSX, Files on NAS, NIGHTMARE!!! - black_eagle - 2013-11-08

Agree with Ned. Just because all your sources are on the NAS doesn't mean you need to use mySQL. Far better I would have thought to use a local sqlite database on your mac mini.

Anyways, XBMC is 'seeing' the folders because you have told it that they are there with your sources.xml file. But, when you actually try to navigate to them, they clearly aren't available on the network. Can you navigate to the shares using your file manager ?

Yes, I can. And I can mount the drives wirelessly.

Wait... You are asking about the XBMC file manager. No. Not yet.

http://quixventure.com/2011/12/configure-a-synology-nas-as-mysql-server-for-xbmc/

That is the tutorial I was going off of to set it up. It is a bit outdated, but is there a better way to approach it?

RE: XBMC on OSX, Files on NAS, NIGHTMARE!!! - black_eagle - 2013-11-08

OK, looking at that guide I can understand why you have gone down the path you have, but XBMC has moved on since then and there really is no need to be using mySQL on your NAS unless you plan on having multiple XBMC instances connecting to it that need to have a consistent library across devices.

From your description, this doesn't seem to be the case and therefore I would advise you to drop the advancedsettings.xml (just rename it to something else) and also your sources.xml. Mount your NAS shares, add those mounts to XBMC, or if you have a single generic mount with directories under it then add the appropriate directories as sources and then update your library.

If you need to share this library to another XBMC instance, you can do it by turning on uPNP in the settings part of both XBMC instances, and they will then 'talk' to each other and share the single library on your mac.

RE: XBMC on OSX, Files on NAS, NIGHTMARE!!! - Shinji - 2013-11-09

I am needing a shared library. I am going to be ripping my collection, and there are a lot of hard to find films there that will need to have covers scanned in and fan art made. There will also be animation projects and digital shorts that are not available to the public and I will have to generate covers and fan art. I would not like to have to update each computer individually, but have a centralized location for the thumbs.

The reason I was going with that tutorial is because the end result offered was exactly what I am looking for.

Has anyone looked at the setting themselves to see if my path structure is correct? Please ignore the "xxxx" in the code. That is just blocked settings/passwords.

RE: XBMC on OSX, Files on NAS, NIGHTMARE!!! - z0lid - 2013-11-10

Im using WebDAV for both my Windows and Mac computers, when I'm some where else.
It works flawlessly, and I also have a Synology NAS.

RE: XBMC on OSX, Files on NAS, NIGHTMARE!!! - Shinji - 2013-11-11

Thanks for the reply. I will look into it and see if it can handle what I am looking to do.

Smile

RE: XBMC on OSX, Files on NAS, NIGHTMARE!!! - Ned Scott - 2013-11-11

It might also be an issue with the NetBIOS names. Might try using the IP addresses for the NAS in the advancedsettings.xml files and in the video library.

RE: XBMC on OSX, Files on NAS, NIGHTMARE!!! - toddsunpark - 2013-11-11

There is a couple of things you are doing wrong that I can see.
1-Don't use the guide you linked to for more than setting up MySQL on your NAS, especially if the version of XBMC is Frodo.
2-See 1, Frodo doesn't support the pathsubstitution for Thumbnails and syncs all the thumbs on all the different devices without it.
3-How did you setup your Sources.xml file? The best way to do it is locally without and advancedsettings.xml from within XBMC, this way you can use XBMC to browse to the files. Typically SMB shares show up in all caps when you navigate there manually.
4-Use the official XBMC setup guide, everything I know about this stuff comes from reading their guides. Go here and if you still have problems come back with more information.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Share_libraries_using_MySQL/Setting_up_MySQL
I'm running pretty much the same setup and have set many friends up with SQL and a NAS running Windows/Linux/Mac hybrids. If you follow the directions carefully you should be up and running in a few hours. Smile

RE: XBMC on OSX, Files on NAS, NIGHTMARE!!! - Shinji - 2013-11-15

Thanks. I will check it out. I have uninstalled and reinstalled this so many times starting from scratch. Nothing I do seems to make XBMC able to see my NAS, even though it is mounted through finder.

You don't happen to be around the LA area, are you?

RE: XBMC on OSX, Files on NAS, NIGHTMARE!!! - fastcolors - 2013-11-15

(2013-11-09, 00:41)Shinji Wrote: I would not like to have to update each computer individually, but have a centralized location for the thumbs.

How about local .nfo ?

I travel ALOT and have different xbmcs set up and I did go for the central mysql way once.
manly to have resume and watched synced all over the place... the result : HEADACHES.

honestly I found that local infos are the fastest (and reinstall failproof) way to have multiple setups w/same Storage Device.

RE: XBMC on OSX, Files on NAS, NIGHTMARE!!! - Shinji - 2013-11-15

WOOT! I knew it was something easy. I was just going through the SMB, but when you add the network it allows for SMB protocol WITH login/pass. That is why nothing was recognizing it before.