Kodi Community Forum
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes (/showthread.php?tid=180446)

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - p_turner_uk - 2015-09-17

Hi Auxbox

I can get to the Kodi loading screen.... then it goes blank.... then it makes some very strange electronic intermittent buzzing noises.

However this was on the box I had previously been having issues on.... so you might want a second opinion.... but doesn't install entirely for me.

*edit

Sorry I guess you want a log or something useful but I don't know how to produce that.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - p_turner_uk - 2015-09-17

For the benefit of anyone struggling with bricked ATV1200s after using Ember I can tell you exactly how I ended up getting out of it.... now it may have been luck on my part or being directed by kind people to try different things but here is how i get out of it. I have used this method several times now and it works for me even if it is a bit long winded.

Create boot card as laid out in this thread and put on Android 4.1
With boot card in and power out, hold reset down along with bridging pins (as laid out earlier in this thread) for around 12-13 seconds.... then let go of the reset a split second before releasing the bridged pins.... this may take a few goes.
Once 4.1 is loaded turn off and load 4.2 as stated by kashmoney in post #1600
Once that is in place and working I have no problems flashing to either Auxbox's builds or the first 2 Ember builds..... although 1.01 seems much more stable to me.

I hope that may be of use to someone..... like I say though.... maybe I got lucky.... I don't really know what I am doing! I can't tell you how many different combinations of doing things I tried!

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - raymw - 2015-09-17

(2015-09-12, 15:09)ed_davidson Wrote:
(2015-09-12, 08:25)raymw Wrote: My back up files have grown huge and I notice clearly it is the massive number of thumbnails that have built up on my system. Looking at them on the PC I notice most are just superfluous thumbnails and of course there are many essential ones. As there are so many hundreds or even over a thousand of them it would take ages to go through on the PC and delete them and load back in an edited list of thumbnails still needed via FTP (yes I use FTP into my box now occasionally). So is there a safe way to delete them even if all and let new needed thumbnails load back in form online Huh

I tried simply by restoring all built the thumbnails with robwellers Backup add-on I use but although it still booted it ended up with just a blank black screen and needed to Revert to Android and then re-flash MX Linus Helix 14.2 back to recover the box. SO obviously I cannot just blanket delete all the thumbnails as they have coded links to them it appears

Of course I could just start a fresh set up adding the needed sources like .Xunity and Fusion and Super Repo etc and installing afresh all the add-ons I like to have in my basic set up and saving that as a fresh backup to load onto newly converted MX Linux boxes. But wondered if I need to go down that quite convoluted hour or so worth of work.

Ray all you need to do is delete the thumbnails folder and also the textures13 file in the database folder. In fact you can delete the whole database folder. Then do a backup.
On restore the thumbnails will be re generated.

Thanks a lot Ed. That did the trick and no I did not delete the full Database folder either just the Textures13 file and that was why it did not work just deleting the Thumbnails folder. With the Thumbnails folder deleted and this Textures13 file I simply rebooted and all was fine and the needed thumbnails just simply downloaded as required. One little problem was for some reason only three items in the Phoenix home screen came up and not just missing thumbnails but only three of normal 8 or so options. I simply uninstalled Pheonix and reinstalled it and all was good again and could find no other problems. Now a much smaller backup results and more free memory available. It did not happened when I similarly cleared another box of all those built up thumbnail files.

Thanks also Bobones for your input mate but I did not in the end need to go down that more complex path.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - bobones - 2015-09-17

Is there a general problem moving from embER to MX Linux? I have 2 ATV1200 boxes, one with embER 2.0.2 and one with MX Linux 14.2, and would like to try AuXBox's 15.1 on one of them. For embER, does the "revert to Android" download they provide actually work? Grateful for any advice before I brick either of my boxes!

(2015-09-17, 17:58)bobones Wrote: Is there a general problem moving from embER to MX Linux? I have 2 ATV1200 boxes, one with embER 2.0.2 and one with MX Linux 14.2, and would like to try AuXBox's 15.1 on one of them. For embER, does the "revert to Android" download they provide actually work? Grateful for any advice before I brick either of my boxes!

The revert to android files they provide didn't work for me.... as you can see from my post just up the page I had to jump through hoops to get from Ember to anything else.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - bodgit - 2015-09-17

(2015-09-17, 15:25)AuXBoX Wrote: can someone test this. Tell me if it boots

Kodi 15.1 16-09-15

Ember has stuffed my device and can't boot anything else.

Hi Auxbox

Have 2 Sumvision Cyclone X2, One is stuck with Ember 1.01 on it, just cant get rid of it. The other one has your 14.2 build on it, I have flashed your new 15.1 build on this box and the same as pk_turner_uk it gets as far as the Kodi loading and then the screen goes blank. This is from an upgrade and also with a clean install from recovery. At this stage i can SSH and FTP into the box.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - AuXBoX - 2015-09-18

(2015-09-17, 18:06)bodgit Wrote:

Kodi 15.1 16-09-15

Hi Auxbox

Have 2 Sumvision Cyclone X2, One is stuck with Ember 1.01 on it, just cant get rid of it. The other one has your 14.2 build on it, I have flashed your new 15.1 build on this box and the same as pk_turner_uk it gets as far as the Kodi loading and then the screen goes blank. This is from an upgrade and also with a clean install from recovery. At this stage i can SSH and FTP into the box.

Can you SSH into the box with the black screen (Kodi 15.1)?
If so can you delete the settingsgui.xml file and reboot

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - bodgit - 2015-09-18

(2015-09-18, 00:48)AuXBoX Wrote:
(2015-09-17, 18:06)bodgit Wrote:

Kodi 15.1 16-09-15

Hi Auxbox

Can you SSH into the box with the black screen (Kodi 15.1)?
If so can you delete the settingsgui.xml file and reboot

Delete this file and rebooting results in the same screen.....

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - raymw - 2015-09-20

Can anyone answer me if the new MX Linux KODI Isengard 15, when it arrives soon, will support the ATV520 boxes with the Broadcom WiFi ?? Or have they given up on this incompatibility issue ?? Reason I ask is I have one of those 520 boxes here with Frodo 12.3 on, which of course is able to be fixed to work with WiFi switching. This is a friends box and he wants it upgraded to MX Linux Helix 14.2 which of course means he will only be able to use the box for a wired internet connection to his router. If Isengard will fix the Broadcom WiFi issue then I will suggest he hangs on for probably only a few more days and have that new firmware though of course I would want to check it for any bugs first.

How is progress AuxBox on the MX Linux Isengard build ?? Wish I was able to help you but beyond my skill level I have to say. Sure I understand that as, with all your compiles, you like to get it 100% right before releasing it here, and we truly appreciate that very much and all you do for us mate.

On a separate issue my main personal box is running EmbER 2.0.2 very nicely and for some time now. It has last week had an auto update of the integral and very nice Confluence based EmbERMod skin, but oh dear what a cock up. Firstly all the main menu item text disappeared on the home screen as well as in several places elsewhere, and then although that was commendably quickly fixed with a new auto update, it has left us with default skin sounds not working (so I had to enable the awful Bursting Bubbles sounds). Also now when you launch a pop up screen, for example say some contextual menu options, it is transparent so the text underneath often makes it annoyingly illegible. Wish I could roll back to the original EmbERMod skin which was just fine with very few caveats.

I fully support these guys at EmbER, but I feel they need more testing help before releasing their updates, which are indeed very ambitious and promising, so all credit to them for that. However all updates needs to be free of serious bugs before releasing of course. I have a spare box to test these EmbER updates with but until it is 100% solid I will continue to stick with MX Linux compiles, as sorry to say I just cannot afford the hassle of bricked boxes and boxes failing. I really want EmbER to succeed though as I believe in those guys very much and we should IMHO all give them our support as much as possible.

[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - ed_davidson - 2015-09-20

Ray have you tried something like this http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutions/connect/powerline/
Some are wifi extenders but some are wired devices.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - raymw - 2015-09-20

Thanks Ed, but yes indeed I have used those and other WiFi extenders over many past years and yes they do work. Trouble is most non techie folk do not want to be bothered with using them, especially when they see the ATV520 box has a WiFi antenna they expect it to work as indeed it should..

BTW Ed loved that Pulsar add-on and indeed got it working well, and best with Pirate Bay torrents site. However the BBC iPlayer add-on has now just been updated twice over the past couple of days and is now thankfully fully working again, with Level 3 removed and now Akamai and Limelight all working solid at various offered speeds. So very good news indeed with that. :-)

[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - ed_davidson - 2015-09-20

Hopefully the Iplayer ADDON gets a repo soon.
I think those wireline adapters are plug and play. And everyone knows you are getting the least amount of buffering being hardwired.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - bodgit - 2015-09-22

Kodi 15.1 16-09-15

Hi AuXBox

I notice you are in the same position as me with a 1200 box stuck on ember and unable to boot anything else.

I have been trying for a couple of weeks on and off using ember recovery to android and various boot cards and tricks to change it to no avail, just about to give up, one last try and bingo.

Boot card using Mygica_MX_restore_files_20140708, hold reset button and short pins, switch on, wait a few seconds, release pins and immediately release reset, wait and it went through the upgrade process and then locked up, power off and then with the boot card still in and holding the reset button in power on.

You can tell if the upgrade is working because in my case the red and green LEDs flashed alternately.

It went through the upgrade process this time and successfully went into android 4.1 with a Chinese interface.

Rebooted a couple of times to make sure i was'ent seeing things !

Installed your Kodi 14.2 YES.

If you needt he boot files i can upload them to my dropbox

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - coley65 - 2015-09-22

Hi Bodgit have you tried with 15.1

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - bodgit - 2015-09-22

(2015-09-22, 09:14)coley65 Wrote: Hi Bodgit have you tried with 15.1

See post #1613, hopefully AuXBox is working on it Big Grin