Kodi Community Forum
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes (/showthread.php?tid=180446)

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - raymw - 2016-02-15

Then that is weird. Try it on a different router perhaps around a friends house. I assume you have tried rebooting your router/modem and made no difference. These problems are normally down to the router as that is where you box gets the date/time from. I assume you are set up under International settings for your correct country/region location ??

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - raymw - 2016-02-15

(2016-02-12, 00:01)redi Wrote: hey guys,

i overwrote my remote.conf on my 520 (ember) with a version for my harmony remote.

if i want to use the original remote, do i have to copy back the original remote.conf? if so, where do i find it?

Try this one Redi from my Dropbox :- . https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17319514/remote.zip
Just unzip it to give you the remote.conf file. As this is a text based file if I do not zip it you will likely just get a text download,

keep a backup of it and just overwrite the harmony one or rename the harmony one if you may need it again

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - p_turner_uk - 2016-02-16

(2016-02-01, 11:36)p_turner_uk Wrote:
(2016-01-29, 18:14)raymw Wrote: AFAIK the default setting with EmbER 3 is lagfree as always seems to be that way with all my installs it seems. But maybe someone else can confirm this, though doubtful it will be the problem you have but was worth checking of course..

Thanks raymw. I'm trying various different things with these boxes to try and sort the issue out, but I'm shooting in the dark really. I've moved over to the darkside (Plex) while I try to find a solution. If I have any luck I will be sure to post whatever worked for me...... it is a shame as Kodi is definitely my preferred option for my home setup.

Quick update.

I believe I have now figured out what was going wrong. I have all my media data on 2 hard drives, and they both seem to have corrupted the media in some way. No idea how it happened and I've probably lost a hell of a lot of movies and tv collected over the years but it's somewhat of a relief to have realised what is going on. My best guess is that the drives failed through PC crashes or powercuts... no idea really. Anyway a quick test seems to indicate that newly downloaded files on to other drives play fine..... it's just everything on those 2 external drives. Plex was also failing on the drives but in a different way.... more through losing artifacts than freezing.... and Kodi installed onto a pc was better when disabling hardware decoding. So the long and the short of it is the ATV1200s and the various builds and settings were never actually at fault.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - ProTV - 2016-02-24

Ember is untrustworthy. I spend 10 $ at 17 December and I required hundreds of times per email or directly on the homepage the number to unlock. I didn’t become any answer.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - raymw - 2016-02-25

(2016-02-24, 17:29)ProTV Wrote: Ember is untrustworthy. I spend 10 $ at 17 December and I required hundreds of times per email or directly on the homepage the number to unlock. I didn’t become any answer.

Well I have to disagree as I run EmbER V 3.0.0 DE and it is superb now and very stable. A few now very minor bugs as most systems have, and likely you will not even notice them, but they state that they are sorted with the new V3.0.1 due imminently. There was a problem with the updating to DE back in December with some boxes (the ATV1200/1220 for example) and they also had a problem with their ISP and website host, but they have now changed to a new website host so I would try again to contact them using the EmbER website for contact. If necessary they will reactivate your unleash DE code and help you. You also do not state which make and model of box you are using.

Stick with it as EmbER is currently the only path for Linux Isengard 15.2 and later as no compiles for MX Linux have been made and maybe not likely to be as EmbER has really replaced that. Also the US$10 (or more if you wish) one off donation for unlocking registration is very reasonable and includes OTA updates and upgrades and all the nice additional features of EmbER. To me right now upgrading your box to EmbER is a no brainer must do quite honestly, but if you are still with MX Linux then wait until V 3.0.1 is released very very soon now I understand..

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - ProTV - 2016-02-25

I sent the message again via Ember homepage.

It is not a problem for the 10$, the software working fine on my device (MyGica ATV1200).
The problem is, I can´t contact the Ember team since two months.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - usrzone - 2016-02-25

I have to agree with ProTV. I donated $10 but had a problem unlocking to EMBER DE on my ATV520. I then changed my box to MX Android, but still faced the same issue. I contacted Ember team several times but received no response. Felt cheated & disappointed, I gave up on Ember and switched to Openelec. I have never looked back since.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - raymw - 2016-02-26

Well usrzone you can only use the unlock key on one box and that stays with the box, much like activating Windows which you do on one machine, So it would not have worked using the same activation code on the MX Android box. There is also a known and well known and clearly stated stability problem with EmbER on the ATV520 box, but hopefully this may indeed be sorted with the arrival of EmbER V 3.0.1

Yes I agree and sympathise as it is very annoying, and does not inspire confidence, when you do not get any reply when asking for help with a EmbER related problem, but I know some weeks back they had problems with their ISP and/or Webhost and as such emails were not arriving but this has now changes with them recently changing website hosts and/or ISP. They should indeed though respond now if you try again, but I do know that they are busy as hell trying to get V3.0.1 ready for release and bug free for all our benefit, but yes you should at least get an acknowledgement, maybe an automated email reply, stating that they will respond in full later as too busy to do so at this time. I assure you though EmbER KODI is definitely I believe the way forward now. Overall IMHO I reckon it is a much better long term option than openelec,.as EmbER has so many nice features including automatic OTA upgrades, and now offers superb stability (except on the ATV520 box for now).

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - cfox - 2016-02-29

Hi Redi,

I have the same problem, "revert to android doesn't work on the 520" But I am not able to reflash to 1.0.1 or anything else for that matter.

my 520E seems to ignore the fact that I'm holding the update button down and continues loading EmbER 2.0.2. unfortunately EmbER 2.0.2 has no network connection and is thus not useful.

Any thoughts?

(2015-07-29, 04:42)redi Wrote:
(2015-07-28, 15:21)Josh.5 Wrote: EmbER v2.0.2 available for download at http://ember-dev.com/downloads/

FYI, I Just installed 2.0.2 overtop of 1.0.1. it installed fine but i'm getting a script error on system settings, so i have no network connectivity and i can't run the ember settings at all. i booted to recovery, cleared all data and cache but that didn't help.

i'm going to try revert to android, and then try reflashing 2.0.2. if that doesn't work i'll try to get back to 1.0.1 somehow Sad

UPDATE:

revert to android doesn't work on the 520. however I was able to reflash 1.0.1 at least Smile

i'll stay away from 2.0.2 for now.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - cfox - 2016-03-01

Hi themightylc,

This exact thing just happened to me. any update? what did you end up doing with your 520e box?

(2015-11-22, 14:44)themightylc Wrote: Hello. I, proud owner of the donator edition, have a few Problems with my ATV520e with Ember 2.0.2 installed.
  • upon start i get a "script failed: system settings" error
  • I cannot call EMBER settings - same error
  • I have no network connection to the box (via ethernet) whatsoever
  • i can neither update/downgrade to another linux version or revert to android. Holding the reset button at the bottom of the box just boots up ember every time.

Any help on ANY of the problems would be highly appreciated. I cannot use the box at all at the moment, I need network access - don't care if it's on EMBER or any other system.

EDIT:
This is the error i think is related to the problem (first error in log). without network access it is extremely cumbersome to check the logs though.... so i don't think I'll be able to post much more... Sad

19:22:46 T:1195144224 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <type 'exceptions.IOError'>
Error Contents: (19, 'No such device')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.system.settings/service.py", line 4, in <module>
from resources.lib import onrun
File "/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.system.settings/resources/lib/onrun.py", line 6, in <module>
from resources.lib.update import rsspyota
File "/root/.kodi/addons/script.system.settings/resources/lib/update/rsspyota.py", line 66, in <module>
File "/root/.kodi/addons/script.system.settings/resources/lib/update/rsspyota.py", line 50, in getserial
File "/root/.kodi/addons/script.system.settings/resources/lib/update/rsspyota.py", line 36, in getHwAddr
IOError: (19, 'No such device')
-->End of Python script error report<--

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - raymw - 2016-03-07

(2016-02-29, 23:22)cfox Wrote: Hi Redi,

I have the same problem, "revert to android doesn't work on the 520" But I am not able to reflash to 1.0.1 or anything else for that matter.

my 520E seems to ignore the fact that I'm holding the update button down and continues loading EmbER 2.0.2. unfortunately EmbER 2.0.2 has no network connection and is thus not useful.

Any thoughts?

(2015-07-29, 04:42)redi Wrote:
(2015-07-28, 15:21)Josh.5 Wrote: EmbER v2.0.2 available for download at http://ember-dev.com/downloads/

FYI, I Just installed 2.0.2 overtop of 1.0.1. it installed fine but i'm getting a script error on system settings, so i have no network connectivity and i can't run the ember settings at all. i booted to recovery, cleared all data and cache but that didn't help.

i'm going to try revert to android, and then try reflashing 2.0.2. if that doesn't work i'll try to get back to 1.0.1 somehow Sad

UPDATE:

revert to android doesn't work on the 520. however I was able to reflash 1.0.1 at least Smile

i'll stay away from 2.0.2 for now.

I have the same problem with the ATV1220T box but ONLY if it has a WiFi daughter board problem and the system cannto see the WiFi hardware. Of course we know the 520 has the Broadcom WiFi chipset for which there are no drivers available with KODI firmware and not since XBMC Frodo 12.2.

So it seems if EmbER cannot see a working WiFi board then it will throw up a script error, so this is a bug that hopefully Josh will pick up for the imminent V3.0.1 release. Without that fixed of course you are unable to configure any of the EmbER System settings as you cannot get into it. I know this is true because just had a new ATV1220T box which had a bad connection on the WiFi daughter board and after I fixed that hardware fault then the System Settings script error went away and I could then access the EmbER system settings okay.

Another issue I have had for some time and still have is installing the latest EmbER public version V2.0.2 onto a virgin ATV1220 box with its default Android 4.2.2 firmware. This will always brick the box. However I have discovered that if you first install the last MX Linux Helix 14.2 compile of Auxbox dated 14/4/2015 on to the virgin Android 4.2.2 ATV1220 box which installs wiht no problem then and only then can you install the public EmbER V2.0.2 over the top of MX Linux with no bricking occurring. Then you can register and activate EmbER DE and update to EmbER V3.0.0 DE of course. .

So this is one for Josh to look at if he has not already. Hopefully a new public V3 EmbER convert will then install directly to the brand new default Android V4.2.2 ATV1220 box. Josh, or conniccorey any feedback on this?? Trust this will be helpful info for you guys with isolating and fixing this fault, if not already done so..

Finally an annoying small bug with EmbER 3 seems to be the system not getting the correct date/time off of the router and this seems to happen with many folk I know with EmbER 3 ending up with the usual default Linux 1970 date. It can require even 5 or 6 reboots to get the correct current date and time to be set. This is happening here in Thailand with 3 totally different ISPs. Once I get the correct date and time set I leave my box permanently powered up but a bloody power cut will leave me doing the multi reboot fiasco again.

Once EmbER 3 is all installed and running with the correct date and time then it is an extremely good and stable system on both the MyGica ATV1200 and ATV1220, but just for now remember to install MX Linux Helix 14.2 first onto brand these models when they are brand new default Android installed boxes, and only then install EmbER V2.0.2 convert public edition over MX L:inus firmware and then of course upgrade to DE from there

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - jacksleight - 2016-03-07

Hi,

I have a MyGica ATV520 running the "Version 4. Geniatech" image, which comes with XBMC 12. Been running it since 2014, back before some of the other options were available.

Is it possible to upgrade XBMC to the latest version of Kodi on this? And if so how? Or is my only option to start over with a different method?

Or, would I be better off switching to something like EmbER anyway?

Thanks

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - raymw - 2016-03-08

Any upgrade of the firmware later than the now very old XBMC Frodo 12.2 with these ATV520 boxes will mean you will not get any WiFi facilities, as there are no drivers integrated in the firmware for the now no longer used and very poor Broadcom WiFi hardware that these boxes have. Because of this Broadcom issue, Ember is not stable on the ATV520 boxes as they clearly state on their download page. So the best you can do with that now quite old box is to install MX Linux KODI Helix 14.2 build from Auxbox dated 14/04/2015 as this works well without WiFi adn will simply install over the top of y rou old Frodo 12 firmware. So just connect via Ethernet cable either direct to your router or through a suitable repeater box or BPL (Broadband over Power Line) system.

I would get yourself a new ATV1200 or ATV1220 box with the latest Donor Edition EmbER installed on it to be honest and upgrade your old 520 box to the wired only connection with MX Linux KODI Helix 14.2 as suggested above. One of the G18Ref MX2 dual core boxes would also do the job for you with EmbER..

May though at this stage be worth waiting a month or two for EmbER being available for some of the quad core Amlogic powered boxes, though they are more expensive than the dual core boxes like for like quality/brand and AFAIC the dual core boxes are as fast as I need them to be. So personally IMHO I feel that quad core is an overkill for Linux based KODI use. Though I am prepared to retract that later if I feel there really is a tangible benefit with a quad core processor on these Linux based boxes. Trouble is in time there will only be quad core boxes available.so the move will be forced on us. Sure I know that Android based systems really need quad core to cope with all the bloatware operations going on in the background but honestly who wants Android when you can have Liinux based KODI only running on these streaming boxes. Apart from a working but kludgy Android Netflix app (which so far has no official, or unofficial one that works, KODI add-on available yet) then Android is just a waste of space and a very bad inefficient use of your boxes resources, so for me not an option.

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - jacksleight - 2016-03-08

Fantastic, thanks for the advise. I'll do as you suggested and upgrade to the MX Linux KODI Helix 14.2 build (I don't use the wifi anyway so that's not an issue). Probably wont upgrade to a new box for a while, but will keep your advice in mind regarding the quad core boxes and Ember support.

Completely agree about the Android junk, first thing I did when I got the box was come here and look for a way to get rid of it :-) .

Thanks again!

RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - mrwilson251 - 2016-03-13

(2016-03-01, 06:40)cfox Wrote: Hi themightylc,

This exact thing just happened to me. any update? what did you end up doing with your 520e box?

(2015-11-22, 14:44)themightylc Wrote: Hello. I, proud owner of the donator edition, have a few Problems with my ATV520e with Ember 2.0.2 installed.
  • upon start i get a "script failed: system settings" error
  • I cannot call EMBER settings - same error
  • I have no network connection to the box (via ethernet) whatsoever
  • i can neither update/downgrade to another linux version or revert to android. Holding the reset button at the bottom of the box just boots up ember every time.

Any help on ANY of the problems would be highly appreciated. I cannot use the box at all at the moment, I need network access - don't care if it's on EMBER or any other system.

EDIT:
This is the error i think is related to the problem (first error in log). without network access it is extremely cumbersome to check the logs though.... so i don't think I'll be able to post much more... Sad

19:22:46 T:1195144224 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <type 'exceptions.IOError'>
Error Contents: (19, 'No such device')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.system.settings/service.py", line 4, in <module>
from resources.lib import onrun
File "/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.system.settings/resources/lib/onrun.py", line 6, in <module>
from resources.lib.update import rsspyota
File "/root/.kodi/addons/script.system.settings/resources/lib/update/rsspyota.py", line 66, in <module>
File "/root/.kodi/addons/script.system.settings/resources/lib/update/rsspyota.py", line 50, in getserial
File "/root/.kodi/addons/script.system.settings/resources/lib/update/rsspyota.py", line 36, in getHwAddr
IOError: (19, 'No such device')
-->End of Python script error report<--

same here tried to update to 2.0.2 on my atv1200 (sumvision cyclone x2) Holding the reset button at the bottom of the box just boots up ember every time. I think the only way to fix this will be to go inside the box and short the pins

the same update worked fine on my other atv1200 though so it seems hit and miss