Kodi Community Forum
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes (/showthread.php?tid=180446)

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - bodgit - 2015-04-01

(2015-04-01, 23:12)redi Wrote: so I assume safe to flash overtop of our existing mx Linux (using the appropriate download)?

would existing settings be saved? or would it be best to backup settings and start fresh and then restore them?

looking forward to this because I like the idea of OTA updates. just makes life a little easier.

I would say that its better to backup settings, revert to android, install ember and restore settings, at least until we know different.

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - AuXBoX - 2015-04-01

(2015-04-01, 23:12)redi Wrote: so I assume safe to flash overtop of our existing mx Linux (using the appropriate download)?

would existing settings be saved? or would it be best to backup settings and start fresh and then restore them?

looking forward to this because I like the idea of OTA updates. just makes life a little easier.

Just to be safe backup then revert then flash EmbER

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - AuXBoX - 2015-04-01

(2015-04-01, 07:13)Bamboo Wrote: Hello

I'm new on this forum perhaps you can help me with my problem. I have a Geniatech atv3000b that I installed this linux firmware ***.mygica.es/downloads/Mygica-LINUX-xbmc-M3-20130306.zip and I'm stuck with this firmware for a long time. I tried to revert back to android, or update to another linux version that is explained in this threat but with no luck.
I can't make the box to upgrade from the sd card ( I tried few models different capacities 2, 4, 8 GB ) but with no luck, after I umplugged the box, insert the sd card with the new firmware, press the recovery button, insert the power cablle and wait for 10 - 15s but notthing happened. The box boots normally.
I don't know if the box is genuine or not, I bought it from an online shop from China.
If you can help me to change the firmware, thanks in advance for your help.

Regards.

Try download this
https://mega.co.nz/#!q84kXT7a!OKxSkCcfqNHn4e4pbu-aNaVledb6aZ4xAWDsfXXNsTM
and use the HowToRevertToBox4.1.zip on first page

you need to revert to M3 android. I think youve been trying with the M6 link

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - redi - 2015-04-01

(2015-04-01, 23:33)AuXBoX Wrote:

thanks dude. might give it a try tonight.

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - redi - 2015-04-02

(2015-04-01, 23:33)AuXBoX Wrote:

Would I be using the Android 4.1 revert at the bottom of the first post?

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - Grand Total - 2015-04-02

(2015-04-01, 22:49)bodgit Wrote: Have a Sumvision X2 running Helix 14.1 from the first page on this post, decided to try ember.
Downloaded all 3 files on the ember site.
Used the revert to android first to get into android and then the convert to ember, no problems at all, Helix 14.2.
To early to make comments on this build but looks very promising.
I tried too but got into a loop of loading from SDRAM, automatic reboot followed by loading from SDRAM again. So I tried to revert to Android, but am now in the situation where I have Android 4.1 installed but the box won't boot without the SDRAM being inserted. Any thoughts?

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - raymw - 2015-04-02

Well I actually did install it directly over the top of the Auxbox Linux Helix 14.1 compiled build I had installed from just the other week. I installed this new Ember Linux Helix 14.2 build yesterday as soon as I saw it appear on their download site. It installed smooth as silk and left all my settings and installed add-ons intact and even my short-cuts still there too. Of course I lost the WiFi manager add-on which has now been replaced, and my shortcut to it, as now they have the new comprehensive neat looking Ember System Settings add-on which is integrated into the new build.

Of course I did back up my system before installing Ember and sure it may be sensible to revert to Android first as many are suggesting, but my experience says that seems unnecessary and will make you a lot of extra work of course. I also today smoothly flashed Ember directly to my friend's ATV1200 box which had Gotham 13.1 installed on it but I did lose a lot of the settings and shortcuts all disappeared with that update from the older Gotham build, but it is all running smoothly too. Anyway your choice and of course as always you do it all at your own risk.

So far looks very promising indeed on my ATV1200 box. Yet to try it on an ATV520 box though will likely do that later today, primarily to see if the important Broadcom WiFi incompatibility issue has been solved. If not then this build is useless to anyone with those 520 boxes who wants to be able to switch to using WiFi access for which they will still have to stick to the now quite old Frodo 12.3 to be able to do that with the very easy small MacBeth 1975 fix .

The auto system updates that are now possible without going back to recovery, looks as though this will be cool, but it seems you do have to register and donate to their site before you can switch that facility on with a supplied access code. Personally I have absolutely no objections to that at all, considering the work cronicory and his team put into these awesome projects. I will certainly be registering and donating myself and hope everyone else who will be using this new build will also consider doing the same.

Bear in mind that, as I understand it, this is NOT just a new build but a completely new Linux 3 operating system too which has made many of the improvements possible. Soon there will also be G18Ref Ember based Ember Linux builds available too :-) So a huge thank you to cronicory and his team for their superb work.

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - redi - 2015-04-02

excellent summary ray!

from what I read on XDA, Broadcom wifi is NOT yet fixed, they just haven't gotten around to it yet.

so just to be clear, you flashed the android to ember rom directly over your existing mx Linux, correct? and it kept your settings?

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - raymw - 2015-04-02

Redi NO I did not use that Android to Ember file but downloaded the last of the three link download options from the http://EmbER-Dev.com site, as of course I was NOT updating from Android at all so surely that first option download was not the one to use. So I am very glad you mentioned that as I had omitted to mention this important point, my bad!!

The downloaded file I received was named "EXTRACTME_EmbER-Amlogic-G02REF-update_v1.0.0.zip " which you need to unzip and transfer the files as they are to the root of an SD Card as normal. Note the readme file included refers to 6 files whereas there are only 4 included, as the factory_update_param.ubt and
bootloader.img fiels are not included, and indeed it seems they are not needed with installing directly over the top of an installed Linux Gotham or Helix build.

ah ok I got you. this seems to go against what corey said to me though ( but I still believe you):

me: Thanks Corey and josh. If I am currently on MX linux helix 14.1 on an atv520 would you recommend reverting to android 4.1 first and then doing the initial install ? Or is the update straight from MX linux safe enough? And if so should I be using something like fresh start before upgrading?

corey:

Just use the android to ember conversion, conversions should be used on all flash's unless ember is already running... MX Linux is not ember

I was under the impression that, because it's a completely new system, you needed to do the android to ember conversion to properly get things set up.

from corey:

The conversion is safe messure... I flash tested 20 or more boxs and had some bricks and logo issues on some depending apon firmware they came from, so we advised people to use Android to EmbER conversion as it wipes and repartitions nand for the new MTD introduced in EmbER builds.

I'm going to run the android to ember conversion overtop my mx Linux build.

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - bodgit - 2015-04-02

(2015-04-02, 15:03)Grand Total Wrote:
(2015-04-01, 22:49)bodgit Wrote: Have a Sumvision X2 running Helix 14.1 from the first page on this post, decided to try ember.
Downloaded all 3 files on the ember site.
Used the revert to android first to get into android and then the convert to ember, no problems at all, Helix 14.2.
To early to make comments on this build but looks very promising.
I tried too but got into a loop of loading from SDRAM, automatic reboot followed by loading from SDRAM again. So I tried to revert to Android, but am now in the situation where I have Android 4.1 installed but the box won't boot without the SDRAM being inserted. Any thoughts?

Strange, i had no problems at all.
Try downloading the revert to android zip from the ember site again and re flash the box, make sure you follow the instructions exactly.

I flashed the android to ember rom directly overtop of mx Linux helix. so far so good. even kept my settings. something up with a few addons but for the most part it's fine.

also noticed the flash process was really quick.

Makes sense what cronicorey said Redi. Will reflash mine again using the android to ember convert files to ensure I am fully converted just in case. Sure i did say i tried the straight non convert method over the top and seemed to work but as you say seems better to be safe. Thanks for info above about Broadcom issue not fixed so won't bother to test 520 box yet.

Auxbox I had my MX2 generic box running Android from old build version 1.1.6 and as you know the old Gotham and your recently linked to G18Ref Linux builds flashed okay but then would not boot. So tried using the new G18ref android to ember build from coricory's site and wonderful I now have very good fully working reboot able MX2 box running Ember Helix 14.2 Logical as this build as he says repatitions and reformats the NAND. This makes these cheaper MX2 boxes a great buy for Linux Ember :-)

RE: [HOW TO] XBMC Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - Grand Total - 2015-04-03

(2015-04-02, 17:47)bodgit Wrote: Strange, i had no problems at all.
Try downloading the revert to android zip from the ember site again and re flash the box, make sure you follow the instructions exactly.
I did manage to get my boxes back to Android 4.1 eventually, but they do not care for Ember at all. And yet I have no problem with AuXBoX's own build.