Kodi Community Forum
Raspbmc Won't Connect to Shares Without Internet - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Raspberry Pi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=166)
+---- Thread: Raspbmc Won't Connect to Shares Without Internet (/showthread.php?tid=183749)

Raspbmc Won't Connect to Shares Without Internet - RickWakeman - 2014-01-18

I am using a Raspberry PI with Raspbmc. I noticed that if my internet goes out, I am not able to access my shared files even though they are on the same network. I am able to access them from my laptop just fine. Rapsbmc keeps prompting me for a user name and password. Once the internet connection is restored, it works fine.

It would be nice to be able to use Raspmbc when my internet goes out because the tv usually stops working too.

RE: Raspbmc Won't Connect to Shares Without Internet - dandnsmith - 2014-01-19

Where are the shares ?
How do you access them (NFS, SMB, UPNP ...)?
In what sense does your internet 'go out' - are you losing connection to your ISP?
Where are the shares in relation to the laptop?

I suspect that it is a problem with your local network definition/connection, but need info to go further

RE: Raspbmc Won't Connect to Shares Without Internet - RickWakeman - 2014-01-19

SMB. I am losing the connection to my ISP. Happened twice in the last month. I have one computer on the network that hosts the files.

So a for instance. My internet went out today due to who knows what (outage in my area according to the automated message). I tried to play a file and it prompted me for a user name and password. It would not take my user name and pass which is normally saved. Internet came back on, and I could play the file fine.

I think that it might be a question of name resolution, and, when you lose the ISP connection, you also lose the name resolution.
If you define the share to the raspbmc setup using the machine name this could be a problem, or it might be something else.
When prompting for a user name and password, can you access the share when you've given them?
More info about your setup, and also share declaration to raspbmc would clarify things - do you have any network switches etc as well as your router? what type is the router? ...

RE: Raspbmc Won't Connect to Shares Without Internet - RickWakeman - 2014-01-19

I cannot access the share when given the proper user name and password. It just prompts me over and over again.

My cable modem goes into a Rosewill RNX N300 (running dd wrt) into a 24 port switch. The host computer is plugged into that. The Pi is plugged into another 4 port switch (a router used in switch mode) which is also connected to the 24 port switch.

What do you mean by share declaration? I have the host computer identified by IP address. It will show me the folders but when I try to browse the contents i get prompted for the user name and password.

RE: Raspbmc Won't Connect to Shares Without Internet - Milhouse - 2014-01-19

So the question is what is this username/password prompt - could it be for some sort of internet proxy? I don't use Raspbmc, so not sure whether it includes a proxy by default, but if so maybe the proxy needs to be disabled. Perhaps a debug log (wiki) of when there is no internet connection - temporarily disconnect the WAN connection from the router? - would help determine what is going on. Sounds rather odd, particularly if the correct username/password for the share isn't accepted.

The other thing which might help is the IP addresses being used when the ISP is disconnected, and the OS behind the shares.
use:
ipconfig for Windows based systems
ifconfig for linux/unix based systems

I do wonder, also, whether some firewalling is happening when the ISP connection is out.

RE: Raspbmc Won't Connect to Shares Without Internet - duncans - 2014-01-22

Name resolution issue. I find avahi/zeroconf/bonjour works well. You use the "*.local" domain for name resolution rather than using IPs. Ensure avahi/zeroconf is enabled in XBMC settings and install the Bonjour service in Windows (if you're got iTunes installed on your Windows machine you already will have it, otherwise install http://support.apple.com/kb/DL999) then you can connect to the Windows shares using \\machinename.local\share

RE: Raspbmc Won't Connect to Shares Without Internet - dandnsmith - 2014-01-22

Installing more software would seem to be a bit redundant/over-the-top, as all that you need is already there, and adding more stuff stands a chance of raising new issues.
There is only a chance that is name resolution - which we may find out if/when OP posts more info.

RE: Raspbmc Won't Connect to Shares Without Internet - RickWakeman - 2014-02-22

Cable just went out again and here I am with no xbmc to watch. Host computer is running fedora 17. Apparently that might be the problem as I can access a share on my Windows laptop fine.