Kodi Community Forum
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Raspberry Pi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=166)
+---- Thread: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 (/showthread.php?tid=184866)

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - PeaceMkr - 2014-02-16

Is there anybody else out there who can confirm that with latest builds gpio-ir isnt working anymore with xbmc?
irw is working as expected but xbmc is not doing anything when pressing the remote..

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - Milhouse - 2014-02-16

(2014-02-16, 14:38)PeaceMkr Wrote: Is there anybody else out there who can confirm that with latest builds gpio-ir isnt working anymore with xbmc?
irw is working as expected but xbmc is not doing anything when pressing the remote..

What was the last version that worked? Has the kernel bump caused this?

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - popcornmix - 2014-02-16

(2014-02-16, 14:11)k1lla1nvan1lla Wrote: The sound problem is still alive. Smile

Can you confirm:
Milhouse build N has correct audio.
Milhouse build N+1 has broken audio.

and I'll look into what changed between the two builds.

New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0216
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.13.3 #1 PREEMPT Sat Feb 15 04:37:56 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Feb 14 2014 19:22:36
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 45d99f51ad03ec95e6bd087065de3bc825bfce33 (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140216121055-r17714-gd8d9e0e

Based on tip of XBMC master (97a3fad, changelog) and tip of OpenELEC master (2376c15, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes newclock3 commits (except for 6cd8357 which I've replaced with a static spinner)
  • Excludes the OpenELEC fernetmenta patches (due to conflict with newclock3)
  • "Show RSS Feed" default setting changed to disabled
  • Reverted ffmpeg commits in order to build XBMC master
Build Higlights:
  1. XBMC: A couple of potentially useful fixes:
    • [database] fix missing CommitTransaction(), causing queued ExecuteQueries() to be ignored (e.g. repo updates)
    • [music] album info lookup would result in invalid song paths in the database. fixes 14933

Additional Testing Notes:
  1. Testers should try adding the following entry to their advancedsettings.xml:
    Code:
    <advancedsettings>
      <video>
        <defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer>
        <defaultdvdplayer>dvdplayer</defaultdvdplayer>
      </video>
    </advancedsettings>
    and report if it is better/worse than omxplayer. You can still play files with omxplayer using the context-menu "Play using... OMXPlayer".

2. The following settings are no longer required in config.txt and should be removed:
    Code:
    no_hdmi_resample=1
    hdmi_stream_channels=1
    no_resample_audio is now a default, and hdmi_stream_channels is switched based on audio content. For the time being when using passthrough, 2.0 speaker layout should continue to be used (you will still get 5.1 with AC3/DTS).

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - PeaceMkr - 2014-02-16

i cant tell you the exact build but tried almost all february-builds which dont work.. but 29/01 is working out of the box when downgraded. (tried out right now) also the tool irw that reads the inputs from lirc is working in your latest builds without problems. im not sure how xbmc is connecting to lirc... maybe there is something broken on the kernel-side but in my opinion it might be an issue with xbmc not connecting to lirc..

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - botribun - 2014-02-16

(2014-02-16, 14:31)MilhouseVH Wrote:
(2014-02-16, 14:11)botribun Wrote: It would be nice to exclude the swapfile from the OE-Backup.

Wouldn't that be a feature request for whatever tool you are using to create the backup (presumably this one?, I can't find any reference to OE-Backup). You can of course change the location of the swap file by editing the name in .config/swap.conf so maybe moving it to a location that isn't backed up would be one solution.
I was referring to the OpenELEC build in backup function. (OE Settings Add-on), but changing the location of the swapfile is a good option too. Thanks for the hint. Wink

(2014-02-16, 15:20)botribun Wrote: I was referring to the OpenELEC build in backup function. (OE Settings Add-on), but changing the location of the swapfile is a good option too. Thanks for the hint. Wink

Ah right, yes, feature request for the OpenELEC developers in that case - not backing up the swap file would save a bit of time/space! Smile

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - delinend - 2014-02-16

Regarding LCDproc in Gotham builde....

I don't know, if this is the right place/Forum... But I always use a LCD (HD44780) via GPIO, and always replays the hd44780.so driver, in my Milhouse test builds.
The official LCDproc build 0.5.6, is from 2012 (old), and without RPI/GPIO support.

Is it possible, to build in the last version LCDproc into Gotham, from Sourceforce, or must the build always use the official release ?
http://lcdproc.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/lcdproc/lcdproc/

Best regards

(2014-02-16, 16:26)delinend Wrote: Is it possible, to build in the last version LCDproc into Gotham, from Sourceforce, or must the build always use the official release ?
http://lcdproc.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/lcdproc/lcdproc/

My build will always use the official release, unless there's a specific reason to test a newer version. In this case you're better off asking the OpenELEC developers if they will update the version of LCDproc they are currently using - this way everyone who builds OpenELEC will include the new version, and it will be properly supported in future when I stop creating builds.

Also, v0.5.6 is the most recent stable release - everything since is still marked as "ongoing development" (v0.5dev), so that is most likely the reason OpenELEC has decided against updating the version they use as they prefer to wait for stable releases. Maybe it's time for the LCDproc maintainer to push out a stable release?

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - mcarni - 2014-02-16

@ Popcornmix,

I was bugged by the fact that "crackling" went away for me and that it was still there for other people...
So today I had a little bit of time and I experiemnted a bit with the various options.

I did all my test with "no_hdmi_resample=1", omxplayer and one of the video file that had issues previously.

If in playback video setting I enable "sync video to display" (with any of the sub-options) crackling is still audible, as soon as i disable this option crakling goes away.

Note. I played also with most of the audio settings but I couldn't detect any effect on crackling.

I hope this would be of some help...

thanks

m

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - popcornmix - 2014-02-16

(2014-02-16, 18:37)mcarni Wrote: If in playback video setting I enable "sync video to display" (with any of the sub-options) crackling is still audible, as soon as i disable this option crakling goes away.

Aha, that is interesting. I've been trying to spot the crackling, but haven't heard it, but I don't have that option enabled.

As a recommendation, I would suggest enabling "Adjust display refresh to match video", but disabling "sync video to display".

"Sync video to display" makes the video clock the master, and audio will get resampled (for non-passthrough) or dropped/duplicated for passthrough to fit in.
This can cause a slight degradation in audio quality, so shouldn't be enabled as standard unless you are having a specific problem.

The crackling however shouldn't be happening, and that should be fixable (I can imagine a reason for it now you've pointed out exactly when it occurs).

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - RichG - 2014-02-16

(2014-02-16, 14:38)PeaceMkr Wrote: Is there anybody else out there who can confirm that with latest builds gpio-ir isnt working anymore with xbmc?

GPIO-IR does work for me with the latest build.

However it has been a little flaky for a good while. If I reboot the RPi it often won't work and I have to reboot again (sometimes more than once) to get it working.
I've also noticed that not overclocking seems to make it work on boot more often than not. All a little strange Smile

I think it's likely to be an OpenElec issue mostly, but currently the OE devs don't seem that concerned about fixing it. There have been a few reports of similar problems at the OE forum and a dev recently responded that they probably won't investigate unless a lot more people voice reports of issue with it Sad I think they see us users of GPIO IR remotes as being a minority, but I'm sure that if Gotham is released with this problem there is going to be a huge mass of complaints....

And I have a separate issue too that when I have TVHeadend enabled with a USB TV device - the IR remote becomes very erratic and misses most of the presses, which makes it all very nearly unworkable. This was not a problem with early Gotham builds nor Frodo, so again something that needs to be fixed.

Re: RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - f1vefour - 2014-02-16

(2014-02-16, 22:00)RichG Wrote: However it has been a little flaky for a good while. If I reboot the RPi it often won't work and I have to reboot again (sometimes more than once) to get it working.
I've also noticed that not overclocking seems to make it work on boot more often than not. All a little strange Smile

I think it's likely to be an OpenElec issue mostly, but currently the OE devs don't seem that concerned about fixing it.

And I have a separate issue too that when I have TVHeadend enabled with a USB TV device - the IR remote becomes very erratic and misses most of the presses, which makes it all very nearly unworkable. This was not a problem with early Gotham builds nor Frodo, so again something that needs to be fixed.

It's not an OE issue it's the lirc_rpi kernel module, check dmesg when it happens and you should see some debugging messages about lirc_rpi. I believe the lirc_rpi module code needs some messaging to make it more compatible with newer kernel revisions.

RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - RichG - 2014-02-16

(2014-02-16, 22:12)f1vefour Wrote:
(2014-02-16, 22:00)RichG Wrote: However it has been a little flaky for a good while. If I reboot the RPi it often won't work and I have to reboot again (sometimes more than once) to get it working.

I think it's likely to be an OpenElec issue mostly, but currently the OE devs don't seem that concerned about fixing it.

It's not an OE issue it's the lirc_rpi kernel module, check dmesg when it happens and you should see some debugging messages about lirc_rpi. I believe the lirc_rpi module code needs some messaging to make it more compatible with newer kernel revisions.

dmesg shows nothing unusual here:

Code:
OpenELEC:~ # dmesg | grep lirc
[   13.483060] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 249
[   13.499543] lirc_rpi: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
[   14.402997] lirc_rpi: auto-detected active low receiver on GPIO pin 18
[   14.403470] lirc_rpi lirc_rpi.0: lirc_dev: driver lirc_rpi registered at minor = 0
[   14.403485] lirc_rpi: driver registered!
[   14.543427] input: lircd as /devices/virtual/input/input2

Re: RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - f1vefour - 2014-02-16

(2014-02-16, 22:18)RichG Wrote: dmesg shows nothing unusual here:

Code:
OpenELEC:~ # dmesg | grep lirc
[   13.483060] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 249
[   13.499543] lirc_rpi: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
[   14.402997] lirc_rpi: auto-detected active low receiver on GPIO pin 18
[   14.403470] lirc_rpi lirc_rpi.0: lirc_dev: driver lirc_rpi registered at minor = 0
[   14.403485] lirc_rpi: driver registered!
[   14.543427] input: lircd as /devices/virtual/input/input2

Are you experiencing the issue at this time?